This Rolled Into The Shop Today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for all of the Auto Techs, Truck Techs and the like, I thought it would be nice to have a place to share the hackery, butchery and travesties that roll into your fine establishments seeking repair, advice, or need to be taken behind the barn with a pistol. I have seen some brilliant examples of shade tree engineering in my years as a dealership technician, so please share pics of the carnage and hilarity that comes through the bay doors! I'll start with this Jeep Commander that was about to lose its fuel tank...

ibyjck.jpg

I only wish I've thought to take pictures of all the crazy stuff I've seen over the years!

Holy [censored], are you sure that's not just the skid plate for the gas tank? Should have a plastic gas tank. Either way...yikes!

It is a plastic gas tank, straps WERE integrated into the skid, but had rotted away.

That's something, looks like the rest of it is in decent shape. I'm glad I wash my skid plates out weekly!

Wow a Commander isnt even that old and rotting away. So much for quality. We recently replaced a trans pan on a 2011 wrangler that had a hole rotted through it. Such junk.

Meh, I've dealt with that on every Grand Wagoneer I had. The plastic tank is formed into the frame rail. Ugly as it looks,that tank ain't going anywhere
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Nothing surprises me any more. Don't have a pic but we have the usual rotor ground down to the fins.

I found short segments of a "rotor ground down to the fins" on the street one day. I'll bet there was quite a story there.

I picked up an empty tank trailer and it appeared to be missing the brake drum. Upon closer examination, the drum had broken away and the brake shoes had nothing to clamp onto.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Originally Posted By: Pajero
What year?

2008. With 97k miles.

Ouch, rust gets anything!

I don't have any car related stuff, but more industrial hackery and stuff, not sure if you guys would like that?

This is a 2nd hand story from my buddy that works in a good sized truck repair shop:

Western Star with an N14 gets towed into the shop. It won't start or run. Driver says it quit on him shortly after he put fuel in it.

Driver then went into more detail. Said the truck had been feeling a bit rough/weak recently so at the advisement of a "mechanic" working at the gas station he put a few just of Urea in with the diesel fuel to "clean it out"...
crazy2.gif

So, 400L of contaminated fuel pulled from the tanks. New filter, flushed fuel system and it was running fine on a road test.

Some pics of the mess in the tanks:

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I picked up an empty tank trailer and it appeared to be missing the brake drum. Upon closer examination, the drum had broken away and the brake shoes had nothing to clamp onto.

I saw something similar. Someone brought in a truck and complained that the brakes suddenly became weak. I found that the brake pads and brake disc were ignored for so long that the pistons had been shot out of the brake caliper. I couldn't believe that someone didn't notice earlier.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Personally I would love to see industrial hackery, as long as it's made clear (or obvious) what's going on.

Ask and ye shall receive. I'll have to go through my phone for more, but this is what I have on hand.

Unfortunately this was from one of our techs. Guard on backwards and totally screwed it up!

AYT8bW3.jpg

gE8Bfdp.jpg

The motor is supposed to be strait across. The previous guy couldn't weld to save his life apparently and never penetrated. The support bracket snapped off and the motor spun. Pulled wires out of the disconnect and one leg out of the 3 phase pulled out of the motor.

yC1k0WW.jpg

This conveyor (or Mettler-Toledo weigh-able) has been known to be abused and the mounting bolts come loose. Previous mechanics solution was to jamb bigger bolts in it. 3 out of the 4 snapped off. Guess who had to extract them? Yea me. Unfortunately I had to tap the next size bolt as everything was too buggered.

rR9YSeL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back