Mobil Annual Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
They must be proud of that stuff. I just came from Wally World picking up Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 for $22 for the 5 quart jug. The Mobil 1 Annual Protection 5w30 was $50 for a 5 quart jug. That's like AmsOil per quart price just about. Is that stuff worth twice the price of Pennzoil Platinum ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fasttimez
They must be proud of that stuff. I just came from Wally World picking up Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 for $22 for the 5 quart jug. The Mobil 1 Annual Protection 5w30 was $50 for a 5 quart jug. That's like AmsOil per quart price just about. Is that stuff worth twice the price of Pennzoil Platinum ?

Think about it, M1 AP is $28 more. OK, is you change the oil 6 months later this oil cost you $3.50 extra a month.
The price of 2 cups of coffee.
You spent thousands of Dolars on a car...old of new now if $3.50 can give your engine "better" protection, why not!!!

Don't pay full price for it, I am pretty sure I have seen it on sale for under $30 a jug. That's when it's time to stock up.

It's $39.99 at my local Walmart. This is the closest I have ever seen it to $30.00. SO-if you spend $40.00 bucks on oil-then another say $10.00 bucks (a little less) on a Fram Ultra, and you go a year, that's still not a bad deal IMHO. Of course if you enjoy crawling under your car.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia

Think about it, M1 AP is $28 more. OK, is you change the oil 6 months later this oil cost you $3.50 extra a month.
You spent thousands of Dolars on a car...old of new now if $3.50 can give your engine "better" protection, why not!!!

How come do don’t have AP in the cars in your sig? Why not!!!

I believe it is worth twice the price of PP. I have been told it has a very large dose of pixie dust in it.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

How come do don’t have AP in the cars in your sig? Why not!!!

I'm actually going to use Amsoil 5W30 SS in my Sonata with a Fram Ultra oil filter and run it for 40 000kms (25 000 miles)! Afterward will do a UOA to see the condition of the oil.
Oil in engine now at 11000 miles..will run it 2000 miles more and then change it.

I'm pretty sure the engine will survive 25 000 miles on Amsoil.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

It's $39.99 at my local Walmart. This is the closest I have ever seen it to $30.00. SO-if you spend $40.00 bucks on oil-then another say $10.00 bucks (a little less) on a Fram Ultra, and you go a year, that's still not a bad deal IMHO. Of course if you enjoy crawling under your car.....

It's $49.99 in my local Wal-Mart store, just looked online & It's $39.99 online at Wal-Mart, go figure right. My truck takes 8 quarts of oil, so the AP would be a huge investment in just oil alone for me. I use Mobil 1 EP Filters though, $9.89 at Wal-Mart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Patman
Don't pay full price for it, I am pretty sure I have seen it on sale for under $30 a jug. That's when it's time to stock up.

Exactly!
With store deals, coupons and the Mobil MIR, I bought two jugs of AP at $17.00 and $18.00 each including M1 oil filters.
Nobody in their right mind would pay fifty bucks for a jug of M1 even if it is a Grp IV base oil.
Lots of boutique choices at that price level, like Red Line and various Euro and Japanese oils.

I'm actually going to use Amsoil 5W30 SS in my Sonata with a Fram Ultra oil filter and run it for 40 000kms (25 000 miles)! Afterward will do a UOA to see the condition of the oil.
Oil in engine now at 11000 miles..will run it 2000 miles more and then change it.

laugh.gif

I would be careful going 25k miles without a UOA. That DI engine is very hard on oil,especially in stop and go traffic,short trips,etc.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
2 x OCI's at $20 each
is better than
1 x OCI at $40

In my humble opinion.

YMMV.

My truck takes 8 quarts, so it's basically double those prices.... Plus I change my oil every 5,000 miles, just don't know if I could ever get used to leaving it in for 10,000 miles.

If you do 5K drains then AP isn't for you.
Probably no syn oil is for you on such short drains. Waste of money.
On 5K drains, you should probably be going cheap while using an oil that meets whatever specs or certs your engine calls for, although even those might not matter much on such short drains.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
On 5K drains, you should probably be going cheap while using an oil that meets whatever specs or certs your engine calls for, although even those might not matter much on such short drains.

85% of my driving is short trips city driving. My first UOA after I dropped the factory fill at 500 miles, I changed it a 5K, so 4500 miles on the oil. My TBN was 4.3, Blackstone suggested running to 7K & doing another UOA. No way would I run an oil out to the limits AP says it can handle, since I short trip so much.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
2 x OCI's at $20 each
is better than
1 x OCI at $40

In my humble opinion.

YMMV.

If you enjoy that much crawling under your car.......

Originally Posted By: Bud
I believe it is worth twice the price of PP. I have been told it has a very large dose of pixie dust in it.

But is it the more effective pixie dust diphosphate or just regular pixidbenum??

Can someone please link a VOA of the Mobil AP please, I've looked & can't seem to find it, not even using good ole Google.

Originally Posted By: Toptierpao

laugh.gif

I would be careful going 25k miles without a UOA. That DI engine is very hard on oil,especially in stop and go traffic,short trips,etc.

2009 Sonata don't have DI engines. I have done many times now 15000 OCI all the UOA reports came back fine.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

You 100% correct with above statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back