Flat on interstate - permanent damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife was driving on the interstate at ~ 80 MPH when her left rear TPMS warning lit up, she said she watched the tire pressure start dropping and pulled over. She said the pressure dropped from 35 to 7 in about 20 seconds.

When I got there to put the spare on, I could see the two lines on the pavement from where the rim was pressing directly on the rubber on the road - I could see this for a short distance. There is wear on the letters, but no discoloring that I can see. The tires are about 2 months old - 265/35/18 Continental Contisomething or another.

I have the free tirerack road hazard warranty, but it sounds like a hassle to go through the process without obvious drastic damage, and I can't do anything with it quickly. It looks like a nail or screw punctured the tire and then came out. The hole itself looks easily repairable. I'm looking for some guidance as to whether I should just plug it (quickest), order a replacement tire from Tire Rack and then possibly try to retroactively go through the tirerack roadhazard process (not as quick), or maybe take it somewhere to have it patched (do people still do that?) and have them evaluate it - I just don't know where I would get an objective opinion. The tire was not particularly expensive compared to any risk with my wife and kids in the car.

Thanks!

Call up/email Tirerack and see if they'll replace it. You should receive a new one is a few days. You have the spare tire. Worth a shot and nothing to lose. If it was driven on too long not worth the risk. And it probably was, just a guess and you can't say for sure since you weren't present. Esp at hwy speeds.

The tire is toast. The damage will be evident when it's taken off the rim.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
The tire is toast. The damage will be evident when it's taken off the rim.

Yeah, I see that everyday. Cooks the sidewalls in seconds rendering tire junk

I was wondering how this happened but now I see that the sidewalls are really quite short. I'm sure TR will take care of you if you have the warranty.

That line around the sidewall just above the ContiProContact is a dead give-a-way that the tire was driven on flat. When you take the tire off the wheel there will be black dust and chunks which is part of your sidewall. Tire cannot be repaired and must be replaced.

Sounds like a consensus. I will see if I can get TireRack to honor the road hazard warranty without too much hassle, but regardless, I will get a new tire.

Thank you all for your input - it is greatly appreciated!

I believe if you take it to a tire shop, the way they plug it is from the inside of the tire so they'd have to dismount it. Once they take it off, they'll see if the rim destroyed the inside of the tire or not.

There's a few places around here that don't charge much for flat repairs, Town Fair Tire charges about $5 for balancing the tire afterwards and Goodyear does free flat repairs, don't even charge for balancing. I prefer to get a price match, that way there's no mailing tires. Most places will price match an online price, usually the only drawback is that they include tax, but usually that gets balanced out by free mounting if you buy the tires there. Costco gives you a 5 year road hazard warranty, Tire rack I believe is just two years.

Continental has the first 2/32 free road hazard warranty. I just went to a conti dealer who ordered replacement in bubble tire(severe hit) and I just paid a small install fee.

The tire shop will look at the inside of the tire on the sidewall and if there is anything abnormal there, the tire is junked for sure.

One time I got a flat - a small square piece of metal something bounced off a truck. It was in a very inopportune place that had no shoulder. Traffic was light and I liked on the slow lane.

I was amazed how hot the tire was from just a short way on the sidewalk, and how scuffed/damaged it was.

Get a new tire, and teach your wife to change it herself. No reason for her to sit in an unsafe condition waiting for you to show.

As CKN says when the tyre is taken off you will know for sure.

Loads of rubbers shavings

My wife has done it twice, both times with a nearly new tyre.

You might be lucky on account of pulling over while it was deflating. Look for the rubber shards inside.

I'm a Tirerack installer, and I've had several road hazard claims. One, or two calls after inspection to verify, then a new tire that sometimes arrives the next day, and can be installed soon after, with installation fees of course. It wasn't my fault the tire got destroyed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
One time I got a flat - ... It was in a very inopportune place that had no shoulder.... No reason for her to sit in an unsafe condition waiting for you to show.

By the same token, please tell your women and kids to NEVER park on the shoulder of the freeway if they get a flat!

Put the hazards on, & Just drive it to somewhere safe.

A new rim is cheaper than getting rear-ended by some idiot...

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Continental has the first 2/32 free road hazard warranty. I just went to a conti dealer who ordered replacement in bubble tire(severe hit) and I just paid a small install fee.

I bought some Continentals recently and this is true. Sounds like you are good either going through TireRack or calling Continental. Good luck and glad the wife is OK!

"Continental's Road Hazard Coverage makes it unique in the industry because it applies to all Continental Branded Tires that are purchased as replacement, and is a promise of a free comparable replacement tire during the first 12 months after purchase or 2/32nds of treadwear (whichever comes first)"

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Get a new tire, and teach your wife to change it herself. No reason for her to sit in an unsafe condition waiting for you to show.

Chivalry is nice and but your wife is in a far unsafer condition outside changing a tire on the side of a highway. Best thing to do is get behind guardrail and let a tow truck, or other help and stay out of harms way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back