Can Marvel Mystery Oil be used reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I just bought myself a Lexus LS430 after 3 years of search with only 100.000km and every possible option. I am happy as a child!

The LS is from 12-2004 and had 7700km a year. My idea was to preventive use this MMO to clean the carbon and all the other lubrications.

And what is in fact, very very important to me, is that I want to be 100% sure that this additive cant Absolutely do no harm by any chance?
I always have very expensive problems with cars and again, I must be 1000%!!!

If you have any other suggestions please let me know. I would really appreciate that.

Last edited by a moderator:
At 100K Km (60K miles) I wouldn't even think of it. Change the oil on schedule and forget it. Don't kill the thing with kindness.

The only mystery about MMO is why people still use it. Snake oil.

Use quality synthetic oil and a PEA based fuel injection cleaner as per directions.

Avoid additives.

Nothing is 100%. You do the best you can.

Why are you worrying about a problem that has a very low probability?

Post some pictures and enjoy your new car.

MMO is 1000% safe in proper amounts. No more than 20% of full oil capacity, and no more than 1qt/10gallons of gas in the fuel. If you keep it around these numbers - MMO will do some cleaning, I have experienced it first hand on many vehicles and am very satisfied. The MMO will burn off in the oil after a couple hundred miles, so check your oil level and keep it at proper level by refilling with MMO or motor oil.

Good luck with the vehicle! It is a great one, best car ever made.

Yeah, I wouldn't use any snake oils. What should be telling is that no manufacturer recommends it. Just change the oil on a regular schedule and do scheduled maintenance like transmission fluid changes, coolant flushes etc on time and you should be fine.

Originally Posted By: GSLex
I always have very expensive problems with cars and again, I must be 1000%!!!

If you have any other suggestions please let me know. I would really appreciate that.

Why do you have expensive problems? I would use quality a and filter and leave the additives out of the motor.

Last edited:
MMO? Don't see much of a reason/need.

What I personally would do, given that I'd be doing the oil changes, is to do 2-3 short duration OCIs to get any old oil pilot, help clean if needed, and just to get on a fresh page. Ditto for ATF, diff oil and coolant. Id swap brake fluid too.

That way I'd personally know the status and composition of all fluids. It would be peace of mind, not much else.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
MMO is 1000% safe in proper amounts. No more than 20% of full oil capacity, and no more than 1qt/10gallons of gas in the fuel. If you keep it around these numbers - MMO will do some cleaning, I have experienced it first hand on many vehicles and am very satisfied. The MMO will burn off in the oil after a couple hundred miles, so check your oil level and keep it at proper level by refilling with MMO or motor oil.

Good luck with the vehicle! It is a great one, best car ever made.

+1
smile.gif

Been using MMO for close to 50 years for some things. It does help some situations. It is safe. But a Lexus with only 60,000 miles ... Unless badly abused by previous owner, not needed. Run premium oil and by 100,000 miles it'll be clean as a pin
smile.gif

Last edited:
Firstly, congratulations on the car. It sounds like a car that you want to keep running for ever.

Change all the fluids with quality products and stay away from additives to those fluids. The fluids contain everything needed.

If the new oil gets dirty quickly, then change it at a conservative interval and observe and record how dirty and when it gets that dirty the first, second, third time. You could do a used oil analysis if you want to be sure about things. I would.

I'd be tempted to get an analysis for transmission fluid as well. Again, it's about ruling out any problems and understanding the situation to help you plan your maintenance.

Brake fluid is something that may benefit from a second flush a few weeks or months after the first one.

You should aim to exchange all fluids completely including power steering and coolant.

Look at the maintenance schedule for other things such as spark plugs.

Find a PEA fuel system cleaner (not a non PEA cleaner and not a fuel injector cleaner). Use it once now and if there is an improvement, do it again just before an oil change. Then go by feel for subsequent usage.

Given your user name, do you have a GS as well, or have you had one?
What grade of oil does Toyota recommend for these engines in Europe?
A 0W-40?
I wouldn't use MMO in any decent engine personally although there are those here who aren't fools who would beg to differ.
If your car had good maintenance over its working life, it shouldn't need any engine cleaning anyway.
If you really do feel that some internal cleanup is needed, it's more likely carbon in the combustion chambers and maybe some minor deposits around the fuel injector nozzles.
This can be fixed, if it's even there, with a dose of a PEA fuel system cleaner run through a tank of fuel.
This car probably has ample fuel capacity, so a dose in half a tank might be advisable.
It sounds as though you got a very nice example of Toyota's best car.
I hope that you enjoy it and use it as it was intended to be used.
These cars have the power as well as the poise to be seriously fast runners where that's allowed.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The only mystery about MMO is why people still use it. Snake oil.

You can use MMO in the petrol if you choose, as it has proven benefits there.

I have never used it in the oil, I don't think I ever will.

I bought my F150 with 40000 original miles. The vct solenoids were causing it to make engine noises. My dad suggested to add a quart to the second oil change. After 3000 miles I drained it and now have 0w40 mobil1 in it now to finish the process. It's a bit more quiet to. After 3000 miles I am going to drain it and use CASTROL Magnatec 5w20 with a fram ultra filter up to 7500 miles.
My dad mixed 50-50 mmo and deep creep to do an over night piston soak on my 1996 Toyota Corolla. It was burning a qt of oil about every 1200-1300 miles. After 2 piston soaks, the 2nd one was 2 days, it now only burns about a qt every 700-800 miles. I also replaced the factory installed pcv valve. I am running DELVAC SUPER 1300 10w30 oil with a fram ultra filter. I would say that snake oil mmo works great in some cases.

Originally Posted By: CajunLariat

My dad mixed 50-50 mmo and deep creep to do an over night piston soak on my 1996 Toyota Corolla. It was burning a qt of oil about every 1200-1300 miles. After 2 piston soaks, the 2nd one was 2 days, it now only burns about a qt every 700-800 miles.

As written, it sounds like your piston soaks made it a lot worse!

I use MMO in my gas both on my Versa Note and the F150. I put in 3oz for every ten gallons. I use it for the continuous cleaning of the injectors and upper cylinder lubrication properties. I stopped for awhile in the Versa Note and my wife asked me if I was still using it? I told her no and she asked me to start using it again. She claimed she saw a drop in gas milage. She says it went back up after starting to use it again. So I keep it in pretty regular for her.

I do use a pea cleaner just before oil changes. I also use a Top Tier gas in the vehicle. I am willing to bet the engines fuel system is pretty clean. Whatever people claim for or against MMO I found my wifes observation rather interesting.

Originally Posted By: 28oz
Originally Posted By: CajunLariat

My dad mixed 50-50 mmo and deep creep to do an over night piston soak on my 1996 Toyota Corolla. It was burning a qt of oil about every 1200-1300 miles. After 2 piston soaks, the 2nd one was 2 days, it now only burns about a qt every 700-800 miles.

As written, it sounds like your piston soaks made it a lot worse!

Yeah, I got that backwards. D'OH! It only burns a qt every 1200-1300 milres now compared to before at 700-800 miles. But it really worked. Mmo is good by itself but my dad said he has done this before. My Corolla now has over 255000 milres on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back