Camless Valvetrains

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as the solenoid defaults to a closed position if it fails I think its a good possibility this will work well and possibly be reliable until the aftermarket parts manufacturers start producing replacement parts at a low price point.
The more I think about it this would be great if it can be made reliable, no belts/chains, tensioners, cam shafts, lash adjusters, VVT systems VCM components, etc.

I'll +1 on the no belts/chains.

I like it. It could be as, or more revolutionary then fuel injection was to the carburetor. Think of the possibilities it opens up. The currently rigid profile of operation of the valve becomes infinitely variable.

Last edited:
The HEUI seem pretty close to the commercial viability or the camless valvetrain.

It would seem if you can can imagine the cam profile then its possible. WOW, the reduction in weight, moving parts, reduction in head size, possibly even removing lubrication requirements in the top end and even improved reliability along with the ability to go from mild to wild in an instant, the possibilities are mind blowing.

This is one new development I am really exited about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
The more I think about it this would be great if it can be made reliable, no belts/chains, tensioners, cam shafts, lash adjusters, VVT systems VCM components, etc.
Those timing chains also consume some power (friction), so that is factored in to the overall energy efficiency of the entire new system as well.
On replacement costs, remember labor is a big part of it all, and these actually seem like they could be a somewhat easy, quick fix if one goes bad, pop the old one out, new one goes in.... DIY very possible.

Car companies have been trying to design this for many decades. As said no more timing chains and perfect valve control at all RPMs. But reliability has always been an issue.

I would be complicated but think about the aftermarket tuning capabilities. Controlling lift and duration with a lap top. Short duration down low, more duration and lift at selectable rpm ranges.

Last edited:
The next big thing for NA engines. Turbos change the equation a lot for the low end. Boost make torque down low.

Designing something that will match the existing reliability will be the trick. Consumers are not going to buy one if they blow up right at 100k miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back