Accidentally biting inside inside of mouth - OUCH

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is happening more as I age and I guess combo of flesh getting looser plus my overbite teeth arrangement. Monday supper I was chomping away with gusto trying to eat fast and clipped the inside of my bottom lip pretty bad. Then of course since it swells I nailed it two more times before supper was over. Wasn't too sore until about Thursday. Fiancee and I had a dinner date to meet two other couples last night which of course had to cancel out of, could've went and tolerated the soreness with each bite or ordered a cold entree of whatever but nah. Went to CVS and got some mouth gel instead. The Benzocaine works like magic for about an hour, got one that lays down a film over it which helps too doesn't last either.

Anyhow, this is happening more and more and I simply have to be more careful and measured when chowing down. Would be a great but painful diet though, for anyone needing to cut back on intake, because eating and drinking with a bite wound in your mouth just isn't any fun at all.

Cut my mouth on some orange peel this morning. Think that's a personal first.

Age definately a factor. Old orange from the back of the fridge. Flesh OK but skin had dried and thinned to brittleness.

Been there, done that.

I've head the expression, "You're getting fat", used when someone says they just bit their cheek or lip.

Are there fat cells on our mouths insides which can puff up while eating?

I do agree that biting one's self would serve as an effective dietary tool.

As I age I've learned that huge bites hastily chewed and swallowed can lodge against my glottis and create the choking effect one associates with the Heimlich Maneuver.

Bite it once and it seems that you bite the same area several more times before it finally heals.

I think it has to do something with tooth sharpness/angle, and what foods cause your mouth to inflame ever so slightly.

One or two times a year Ill do this - be eating something and somehow catch my mouth flesh, then the bite gets rebit a few times. Very annoying.

There are some semi-drying gels that help coat it to reduce inflammation of the site in some cases. Orajel also has a soothing antesptic mouthwash that helps a lot.

Typically for me it lasts two meals to two days of ignoring it. This past year on vacation I got one real bad so tried some products to help, such as butler gum gel and the orajel mouthwash. Don't discount warm salt water in a pinch.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
This is happening more as I age ......

You are going to start saying this A LOT!!

This happens to me.

In my case, it's not related to aging. With me, it's because there's just not room enough in my mouth for all my teeth (I still have all my wisdom teeth, and my jawline is relatively narrow).

I'm also afflicted with mouth ulcers. Seems that I get a crop of mouth ulcers a few times a year. They are extremely painful. Most times, it seems that I get a few (a crop) at a time. They make it very painful to eat.

Just something I've learned to deal with.

I sure would like to know what causes the ulcers.

Rinse with hydrogen peroxide too. That will help heal the bites. Hearing the "crunch" when you do it adds to the horrification!

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
This happens to me.

In my case, it's not related to aging. With me, it's because there's just not room enough in my mouth for all my teeth (I still have all my wisdom teeth, and my jawline is relatively narrow).

I'm also afflicted with mouth ulcers. Seems that I get a crop of mouth ulcers a few times a year. They are extremely painful. Most times, it seems that I get a few (a crop) at a time. They make it very painful to eat.

Just something I've learned to deal with.

I sure would like to know what causes the ulcers.

I often bite the inside of cheek or lip fairly often - sometimes while eating and even more often just as I'm falling asleep. Then, as you mention, they ulcerate and take about a week to fully heal. I've heard it is caused by a virus that is in your system (a form of herpes, perhaps).

I used to get a compound called "Mary's Magic Mouthwash" prescribed by my doctor or dentist that could stop it dead in it's tracks if you began using it within an hour of the injury (otherwise it just reduced the healing time). About 3 or 4 years ago the pharmacy had to remove one of the ingredients (I believe it was tetracycline) and it no longer worked very well. Now I just suffer.

Originally Posted By: Touring5
(tetracycline)

I used to buy this for my Betta fish anytime they injured themselves (they sometimes tend to nip at their own fins).

I hate to do that but it happens. My problem is the wound ALWAYS become a canker before it finally heals up. I have had cankers my entire life and there has never been a period when I didn't have at least one. I must have a high viral load as I often have cold sores and fever blisters. Doctors over the years have tried to help but there is always some viral something going on with me. A shingles attack about nineteen years ago left me with permanent nerve pain which can become incapacitating at times. For those who haven't got the shingles vaccination, DO SO now. You don't want permanent neuropathy which can go from nothing to the speed of light before you can find a place to sit down. If it ain't one thing, it's another. Wife says she will have "Now It's Nothing" inscribed on our headstone. Whatever.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I often have cold sores and fever blisters.

Are you currently supplementing with a strong dose of lysine?

This method was recommended to my by my dentist when I had bleeding gums, which cleared up in about a week and didn't come back. I've used it ever since if there's something sore in my mouth, regardless of the reason.

Make a mouthwash bottle of table salt and water. Use warm water and mix in salt until it's saturated and no more will dissolve.

If you bite your tongue, lip or cheek, or get a canker sore, or even just tender gums, rinse with the salt solution a couple of times a day.

You'll be surprised by how fast it heals with just the salt rinse.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I think it has to do something with tooth sharpness/angle, and what foods cause your mouth to inflame ever so slightly.

One or two times a year Ill do this - be eating something and somehow catch my mouth flesh, then the bite gets rebit a few times. Very annoying.

There are some semi-drying gels that help coat it to reduce inflammation of the site in some cases. Orajel also has a soothing antesptic mouthwash that helps a lot.

Typically for me it lasts two meals to two days of ignoring it. This past year on vacation I got one real bad so tried some products to help, such as butler gum gel and the orajel mouthwash. Don't discount warm salt water in a pinch.

What jhzr2 said about tooth angle is what my dentist told me. I just did this last night. My incisors are pointed like a vampires teeth. My dentist told me that people pay alot of money to get there teeth ground to a point like mine are. I asked him why? He said it must be a cult thing. I guess I was born a vampire. LOL.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Monday supper I was chomping away with gusto trying to eat fast and clipped the inside of my bottom lip pretty bad.

Thats how i usually bite myself. Take smaller portions and slow it down!

About cold sores, I've found a regimen of lysine seems to help. On those now rare occasions, where it starts to flare up, Abreva on a timely basis can ward off and prevent an outbreak. Just apply when you get that nasty tingling on your lips. It will also help promote healing if caught after an outbreak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back