Can you ID the manufacturer of this battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a used H6 battery with an interesting top. I'm used to the Johnson Controls (Everstart, Duralast, etc) batteries, or the Interstate style, but this is interestingly different. Can you ID the brand or manufacturer? Has anyone come across caps like this? How do you open them to check water levels?

2qn0cuw.jpg

The date sticker looks like Johnson Controls.

Isn’t it a maintenance free battery (meaning you don’t take the caps off to check the water).

Is it for a VW?

After doing some Google Image searching, I believe this is a H6-AGM, potentially BMW brand. If you look at this image from a DIY battery replacement, the OEM BMW battery that is being removed has the same caps. Good news is, I won't have to worry about the water level, and definitely scored a better battery than anticipated!

305577d1379038520-2008-e60-m5-battery-replacement-dsc_7508.jpg

The sticker is the Interstate type which is then reused across various brands that Interstate supplies.

Don't know if you can say for sure it's an AGM battery though.

Doesn't JC still use the angled corner caps that cover 3 cells each? I worked at a Interstate battery store while in college (some 10+ years ago anyway) and pretty much all of the JCI batteries we sold looked identical physically, but were different colors depending on the tier. Anything we sold that looked different was a different brand (Optimas, and then Odyssey powersport batteries).

Originally Posted By: Kira
Do those "caps" turn, or are they plugs?

They are one-way security tops, so no real way of unscrewing them. Can't tell if they are supposed to turn or not..

Looks exactly like an Interstate that I stock, especially the sticker. Most times though, its only the sticker that changes, it could be an Exide/Interstate/Johnson. All good names.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Doesn't JC still use the angled corner caps that cover 3 cells each?

Not if the battery group size calls for a sealed construction. Newer style batteries like group 48 are built to be able to be mounted in the vehicle cabin or trunk. They have sealed fill holes and a side vent that can be attached to a vent tube that goes outside the cabin or trunk.

It's a JCI product going by the date code sticker style.

Have you had the battery load tested? In my experience the only reason a used battery seller will remove the label is because the battery does not meet the label CCA.

Originally Posted By: HorseThief

Have you had the battery load tested? In my experience the only reason a used battery seller will remove the label is because the battery does not meet the label CCA.

I hooked it up to my AutoMeter SB-300 and it's showing good with somewhere around 650 CCAs.

That's what we call a DIN battery, with the posts set down level with the top face, usually found in European vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back