SAE 10 oil for a 6x6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at random vehicles on the internet tonight. I thought this was interesting:

1516385156a4f8c755621c34eSAM_5961.jpg

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/M35/LO9-2320-209-12-1.pdf

Loved those old M35 deuce-and-a-half's. The last unit I was in before retiring about 12 years ago still had three of them. Many M35's soldier on, a lot of them working for rural fire districts as brush trucks or water tenders.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Why does it say:

11:00 Single ---- Tires ---- 9:00 Duals

What does that mean?

You have to run narrower tires on axles running dual tires. If you run dual 11:00 tires the sidewalls likely will rub. I had that problem on my CCKW wirh wide tires.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
48*F down to -10* is SAE 10. Seems about right to me. That engine will over-cool in cold temps with 22 qts in the sump, it'll be thick enough
laugh.gif

Yes, this.

These are NOT "high RPM engines. I think they are governed to about 2500-2600 RPM max?

They also have ginormous main and rod bearings.

And they will run on almost any flammable liquid. But if you run gasoline, you need to add oil to the fuel so it lubricates the injector pump.

Seems like 100 years ago when I was the maintenance officer for a Signal company in the Army....

Originally Posted By: Langanobob
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Why does it say:

11:00 Single ---- Tires ---- 9:00 Duals

What does that mean?

You have to run narrower tires on axles running dual tires. If you run dual 11:00 tires the sidewalls likely will rub. I had that problem on my CCKW wirh wide tires.

Are they literally called "eleven o clock tires"? I am not understanding how the time type name is applied to the type of tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back