Switching Oil filters at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me and my dad went to Walmart last night. My dad was looking at MOBIL1 oil filters in the size for his truck. He opened a box and there was a fram ph3600 in there with a receipt. He opened another one and there was a Proselect in there. He was going to take pictures but a security guard was watching us on the camera and told him he can't do that. He took the oil filters and went back into the back of the store. He ended up buying a Wix xp from ROCKAUTO for $3.14.

Originally Posted By: CajunLariat
He was going to take pictures but a security guard was watching us on the camera and told him he can't do that.

HUH?

I'll believe this when I see pigs fly.

Anyone remember the Pennzoil Platinum rebate codes under the oil caps? Oil was getting opened and gas discount codes were getting stolen.

I read here that they had chimes that went off when someone was in the oil section so surveillance personnel could keep an eye on things. Not sure how true it is, but I was in the filter section some time later trying to do some visual cross referencing for an application I didn't want to keep having to go to the dealer for. I kid you not, a manager was there minutes after I was to randomly ask if I needed help.

All that said, I am really not surprised. The Bosch D+ boxes with the transparent boxes could often be seen with Extra Guards inside them. I am sure the same goes on with the other high dollar filters too. I always double check for this reason. Heck, one guy here had that happen to him and it wasn't even the correct size for his application so he had to put the old filter back on to get to the store...

Originally Posted By: Kira
I bought a jug of oil in some such store and the checkout person advised me to make sure it was sealed (new oil).

I actually returned a jug of oil because of that. I took it back thinking this is going to be real tough to prove that I didn't do this myself but I had zero issues since I just wanted to exchange it for one that the seal wasn't broken on.

The oil inside looked good but I was unwilling to take a chance with it.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
He was going to take pictures but a security guard was watching us on the camera and told him he can't do that.

HUH?

I'll believe this when I see pigs fly.

You better watch them fly. It was the store detective or whatever they call them. He was wearing regular clothes but had a ID badge thing around his neck. My dad was actualy going to buy a MOBIL1 filter but was mad at what happened. He has taken pictures before in there and nothing was said. There are huge signs in the oil section now that say no returns on oil. Those were never there before.

I thought that the Mobil 1 filter boxes were shrink wrapped? I know the Fram Ultra boxes have that little sticker on them that would show if it's been tampered with.

Thanks for the post. I guess we all know what’s going on. Two recent observations: Like Patman mentioned, the Fram Ultras have box seals to make it more of an effort to get the box open and I noticed a Canadian Tire store put the oil filters behind the parts counter so you have to ask the parts guy for a filter. Always seems to get worse.

SF

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Thanks for the post. I guess we all know what’s going on. Two recent observations: Like Patman mentioned, the Fram Ultras have box seals to make it more of an effort to get the box open and I noticed a Canadian Tire store put the oil filters behind the parts counter so you have to ask the parts guy for a filter. Always seems to get worse.

SF

I buy my Fram Ultras from Amazon. The top of the box has a tamper evident seal. The bottom of the box does not. SMH.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

SF

I buy my Fram Ultras from Amazon. The top of the box has a tamper evident seal. The bottom of the box does not. SMH.

Research shows thieves tend to have lower IQ’s.

Last edited:
I don't think there's any policy about taking pictures at Walmart. I think the guy was just embarrassed that someone got away with it on his watch.

It's sad, the things that are happening. The switching of the oil filters has been going for a little while now. Fram used shrink wrap packaging to try and make it harder to swap filters. Now, they are using the round, clear seal tab thing. Bosch Distance+ were being swapped out. You have to check the oil jug caps to make they are sealed and someone didn't return used oil in them.

And now, I saw a new one. I was in Walmart the other day, and I was in the windshield wiper section. I was looking at the nicer Michelin blades. A couple of the wiper packages the backs were torn. Inside the packages were the standard wipers, not the higher level wipers.

It's really sad.

Some people create their own sales at Wally World. Always check the contents of your boxes. I was buying some Fram Ultra's and one of the boxes contained a Fram Tough Guard. Just be aware you're in a thugs store!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chainblu
I don't think there's any policy about taking pictures at Walmart. I think the guy was just embarrassed that someone got away with it on his watch.

Correct

I have taken tons of pictures of oil and filters with prices at walmart an posted them here.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: chainblu

Correct

I have taken tons of pictures of oil and filters with prices at walmart an posted them here.

I have done it on several occasions and they haven't cuffed me yet Dano!
Remember this is a thug store they'd nearly need to cuff everyone!

Last edited:
There are huge signs in the oil section now that say no returns on oil. Those were never there before.

Last year I bought some Castrol Edge EP 10w30 that was marked down to $7. Previously marked down from $28, then $21, etc. There were several jugs when it was being marked down. Then when it went to $7 and about 5 jugs remaining. Returned the next day to buy but only one jug left. Turns out there was used oil in there it seemed like. So I contacted Castrol about it who was very interested in what I reported.

They sent me vouchers/coupons for 5 free individual qts of oil. Then sent me a kit to send them a sample of what was in the jug. They analyzed it and it was in fact used. They couldn't get a viscosity reading on it because of all the water in it. I didn't want to go to the store manager about it but go to the manufacturer about the issue instead.

They wanted to know all the details, date purchased, store location, phone number for store(Walmart) etc...

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Some people create their own sales at Wally World. Always check the contents of your boxes. I was buying some Fram Ultra's and one of the boxes contained a Fram Tough Guard. Just be aware you're in a thugs store!

Those "thugs" are anyone and everyone, from big scary "urban" folk to little old white ladies that are intolerant of the aforementioned people. Nearly everyone steals or has stole something at some point in time. There's people that steal to get buy and there's those that steal on impulse or just because they can. When I worked at a big box store, loss prevention netted people of all walks of life (including employees). Wanna know where all the loss is in most stores? - it's cosmetics and family planning. Nobody pays for lipstick or lubricant.

Originally Posted By: HorseThief
(including employees).

Back in my retail days,those were the biggest thieves of all,the employees. Even the scum ball hoodrat store managers would get fired for internal theft. So pathetic!

Once in awhile justice is swift and painfull for the criminal. I was in a local area Walmart well after dark. A thief stole one of the construction workers drill battery pack. 5-6 construction workers caught the thief and roughed him up pretty good. Construction worker got the battery pack back. Thief went to jail. I have always wondered if the thief learned his lesson.
wink.gif

I saw a guy on youtube , bragging about how he switched boxes with a Fram orange can to a K&N in walmart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back