I thought this was funny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was browsing some used car ads online and came across this:

Quote:
Shop with confidence at NJ's Muscle Car headquarters! We don't play games like our competitors and add on Certification charges, Prep fees and other [censored] charges. All deals subject to $399 dealer doc fee

Um, isn't a $399 dealer doc fee a [censored] charge?

A rose by a different name.

Just today some lumpy clown at an independent dealer tried to explain how low internet pricing REQUIRES dealers to add fees so there can be a profit.

All in the eye of the beholder ... but yeah, dealer doc fees are bull. I tend to make them take off some other charges to make up for the doc fees.

Does it take a human, who has to get paid, time to write up and process the documents?

Yes, I get it that it's likely a minimum wage part timer, and the dealership is profiting... but there is labor involved.

If all the other profit in the sale of the physical car is taken, that's a spot to make a buck.

I would negotiate it to something I believe is reasonable..

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
All in the eye of the beholder ... but yeah, dealer doc fees are bull. I tend to make them take off some other charges to make up for the doc fees.

I don't pay those extra dealer fees and added dealer markup they take them off the price or I walk!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Was browsing some used car ads online and came across this:

Quote:
Shop with confidence at NJ's Muscle Car headquarters! We don't play games like our competitors and add on Certification charges, Prep fees and other [censored] charges. All deals subject to $399 dealer doc fee

Um, isn't a $399 dealer doc fee a [censored] charge?

Technically it is, but as long as the fees are disclosed in advance, I don't really care. I just negotiate the bottom line price with all their fees. The way the fee is really supposed to work is that you get the lowest price and you think you're walking out the door with that price, then they spring the fee on you.

I always tell Salesmen. I want a car, don't need one. Big, difference! It depends if you know someone. When I purchased my Montero, I went to the Fleet Manager, who does not get paid by commission. He gave me a price no other dealer could match and let me pick out a Montero, prior to delivery (none in stock).

I learned to chose the exact model I want according to VIN. I don't negotiate for hours. I will leave...

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Best to sit down and talk about what all the paperwork fees are going to be beforehand then mentally subtract them from your offer price. Then everyone is happy.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Does it take a human, who has to get paid, time to write up and process the documents?

Yes, I get it that it's likely a minimum wage part timer, and the dealership is profiting... but there is labor involved.

If all the other profit in the sale of the physical car is taken, that's a spot to make a buck.

I would negotiate it to something I believe is reasonable..

Yeah, but they are a car dealer...that's their business.

Local Grocer doesn't advertise a price then give you an invoicing charge.

Should the car dealers charge a portion of their monthly rent dependent on how many vehicles went through the month, and how long you sat at the table haggling ?

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Best to sit down and talk about what all the paperwork fees are going to be beforehand then mentally subtract them from your offer price. Then everyone is happy.
01.gif

Long as that comparison is apples to apples, that's the cost of the car.

$300 cheaper than next door, and $400 additional fees is what they are trying to pull off.

Last car I bought, after a bunch of haggling with the dealer I told them my last offer was my car as trade in and a check for $10K including all fees and taxes, etc. They went off and crunched numbers and changed things here and there in the sale to give me the deal, but complained they weren't making much, but wanted a sale. If they got the doc fees somehow, they must have given more trade-in and/or or reduced the price of the car.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Last car I bought, after a bunch of haggling with the dealer I told them my last offer was my car as trade in and a check for $10K including all fees and taxes, etc. They went off and crunched numbers and changed things here and there in the sale to give me the deal, but complained they weren't making much, but wanted a sale. If they got the doc fees somehow, they must have given more trade-in and/or or reduced the price of the car.

Yup, always negotiate out the door, final price, be clear about it up front and make sure the salesman understands your definition of "out the door" price. Once you're on the same page, it becomes irrelevant to you how they want to slice up that pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back