Borg Warner transfer cases/fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

I just finished crawling out from under my truck to see what Transfer case I have and noticed it read, Borg Warner.

I did some quick reading and found out there are 2, maybe more, types, 44-44 and 44-45. If I am correct, the 44-44 is for those that have auto 4x4, which mine does.

My question is, is the fluid the same for both and do I have no choice but to go to the dealer for this fluid? It is not ATF, but some other special kind of fluid specifically made for this transfer case.

I read where it is $28 U.S. per quart and I need 2 as the TC takes approx 1-1/2 quarts to fill.

Originally Posted By: irv
I just finished crawling out from under my truck to see what Transfer case I have and noticed it read, Borg Warner.

I did some quick reading and found out there are 2, maybe more, types, 44-44 and 44-45. If I am correct, the 44-44 is for those that have auto 4x4, which mine does.

My question is, is the fluid the same for both and do I have no choice but to go to the dealer for this fluid? It is not ATF, but some other special kind of fluid specifically made for this transfer case.

I read where it is $28 U.S. per quart and I need 2 as the TC takes approx 1-1/2 quarts to fill.

Maybe I am getting way ahead of myself? Just looking through my manual, if I am reading this correctly, it reads that my TC fluid does not need to be changed until 192,000 kms.
For fleet, police, taxi or frequent trailer towing, the recommended change out is 92,000 kms.
Transmission is the same, 192,000 kms.
I am currently at 63,000 kms so I think I will wait?

I know this isn't the proper section, but the diffs are hard to decipher. It reads the same as above, if used for any of those conditions, change it at, 32,000 kms, then 48,000, and so on and so forth. Nothing is written nor recommended when to change it if you don't drive under those conditions?
21.gif

irv said:
I know this isn't the proper section, but the diffs are hard to decipher. It reads the same as above, if used for any of those conditions, change it at, 32,000 kms, then 48,000, and so on and so forth. Nothing is written nor recommended when to change it if you don't drive under those conditions?
21.gif

I would go with the more conservative "Severe Service" changes at 32km and then 48km.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
irv said:
21.gif

I would go with the more conservative "Severe Service" changes at 32km and then 48km.

I'm at 63,000 kms now so I likely will as both are easy enough to do. Same ease with the TC but with limited use from me and the expense of the Mopar fluid, I think I may wait on that one? `

Is the spec in the OM, "Chrysler Mopar P/N 68157995A."

+1

GO with this. A few companies claim to have an ATF that works but I've never been able to convince myself that they meet the spec.

Dealers and Amazon sell it for $30 and EBay has it for $20. Need a little less than 2qts.

...It is not ATF, but some other special kind of fluid specifically made for this transfer case...

How do you know this?

Try this product:

https://www.redlineoil.com/c-atf

If you think the long-term suggested OCI's are for the owners benefit, think again.

...It is not ATF, but some other special kind of fluid specifically made for this transfer case...

How do you know this?

Try this product:

https://www.redlineoil.com/c-atf

If you think the long-term suggested OCI's are for the owners benefit, think again.

Just based on what I read about the BW 44-44 TC fluid, it is not regular ATF.
It has been talked about before on here but it does look like Amsoil's will do the trick? (Link above)
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4134618/BW-44-44_Transfer_Case_special

Your Redline link doesn't mention anything about the BW 44-44 requirement, but maybe it's in those specs/numbers?

The Amsoil should be easier to find, I hope, so I may just go that route? Much cheaper than the OE as well.
cheers3.gif

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/t.../?code=ATFQT-EA
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/t.../?code=OTFQT-EA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
My advice, based on GM change intervals is do not treat a transfer case as if it was a differential. Transfer cases fluids should be changed every 50,000 miles (80,000 km) in my opinion.

Yeah, the more I think about it, and if the Amsoil ATF is compatible/meets the spec, then I'll likely change it out when I do my diffs.

192,000 sounds excessive to me so maybe I am reading that wrong? Same with the transmission fluid, 192,000 on it sounds even more confusing/excessive!
shocked.gif

Irv,

I also have the BW 44-44 TC in my 2012 Ram. Amsoil is the only company specifically stating they have an aftermarket fluid cross for the OEM fluid, and a few years ago even Amsoil didn't claim this. I did contact Redline, Royal Purple, & Valvoline at that time and all said they did not offer a cross for the OEM Mopar fluid. The Redline C+ is their offering in lieu of ATF+4 and the individual I contacted at Redline advised to use the OEM Mopar TC fluid in my TC. My posts on that are in the BITOG archives. I wound up purchasing OEM fluid for about US $20 / qt off eBay from a Mopar dealership.

FWIW my 2012 Ram OM specifies 64K miles as the TC fluid severe service interval and 128K miles as the standard service interval. I plan to replace my TC fluid and both differentials around 64K miles, which will also be my point for a second ATF & PS fluid change.

YMMV

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Irv,

I also have the BW 44-44 TC in my 2012 Ram. Amsoil is the only company specifically stating they have an aftermarket fluid cross for the OEM fluid, and a few years ago even Amsoil didn't claim this. I did contact Redline, Royal Purple, & Valvoline at that time and all said they did not offer a cross for the OEM Mopar fluid. The Redline C+ is their offering in lieu of ATF+4 and the individual I contacted at Redline advised to use the OEM Mopar TC fluid in my TC. My posts on that are in the BITOG archives. I wound up purchasing OEM fluid for about US $20 / qt off eBay from a Mopar dealership.

FWIW my 2012 Ram OM specifies 64K miles as the TC fluid severe service interval and 128K miles as the standard service interval. I plan to replace my TC fluid and both differentials around 64K miles, which will also be my point for a second ATF & PS fluid change.

YMMV

That's good to know. Like I mentioned, 192,000 kms seemed rather excessive to me but using the conversion, kms to miles, I see they are the same, or very close.

I will, more than likely, use the Amsoil ATF in my TC and do it when I do my diffs and all the other work that I want to get done this spring or sooner. If I take it to my buddies garage, it would be silly not to take advantage of the hoist and all the required tools while I was there.
I will also sleep better knowing all fluids have been replaced, even if they are ahead of schedule.
grin.gif

Redline C+ is touted as the best alternative to licensed ATF+4 BTW, especially in terms of low temperature performance, if your transmission uses ATF+4. Personally I had zero issues with ATF+4 performance in Northern Ohio so I've stuck with licensed ATF+4 for my transmission & PS, but you might want to look into C+ in your climate unless you have the 8 speed transmission - that one takes a special ZF fluid.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Redline C+ is touted as the best alternative to licensed ATF+4 BTW, especially in terms of low temperature performance, if your transmission uses ATF+4. Personally I had zero issues with ATF+4 performance in Northern Ohio so I've stuck with licensed ATF+4 for my transmission & PS, but you might want to look into C+ in your climate unless you have the 8 speed transmission - that one takes a special ZF fluid.

Great info again, Nyogtha. I do have the 6 sp transmission in mine.

Thanks.
cheers3.gif

every ford that I have or have had spec'ed Mercon in the transfer case and they all had over 100 thousand miles on them with no issues.

I have seen specific transfer case fluid at the local Fleet farm but I've always used Mercon per the owner's manual.

of course my experience is with older transfer cases, i guess newer designs may have a specific fluid type

Last edited:
Why would you not check the level ? Do you just assume ? I'm not an I told you so sort, but I love to smirk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back