Cessna J182T oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully they sell a bunch of these, it would nice for diesel to break into aviation. The cost is going to be a factor though, I think these are roughly 10-12k more than a gasser.

From what I can tell, Cessna made about 15 of these aircraft. Also, there seems to be a company doing a C182 diesel conversion via STC, using what I think is the same SMA diesel engine.

While diesel engines have some real advantages, including better economy, the benefits are not as clear as they may look at first glance.

1) Jet A is about 12% heavier than 100LL, GPH is lower in a diesel. However aircraft carry weight, so we must use pounds/KG per hour to calculate economy. Jet A and 100LL have almost exactly the same energy per pound/KG. But not by gallon.

2) Diesel engines are very reluctant to restart at high altitudes.

3) Diesel engines will often flame out (will not remain running) on descent from altitude with the power lever pulled all the way back. This leads manufacturers to set low power limits high enough to prevent flameout, and results in powered descents.

An 80 gallon tank holds 56 more pounds (536 pounds) when filled with Jet-A. While that might not seem like a lot, it's added to the additional weight of the diesel engine and real world useful load is reduced to 1018 pounds total, of which 536 pounds is fuel. With full fuel the diesel 182 can carry 482 pounds. Not exactly good.

Last edited:
I can't believe that all they have to hold the oil filter in place, and prevent any leaks, is a O-Ring with a single snap ring that fits into a groove. And not a threaded, sealed cap. That's leak waiting to happen.

Originally Posted By: Audios
Hopefully they sell a bunch of these, it would nice for diesel to break into aviation. The cost is going to be a factor though, I think these are roughly 10-12k more than a gasser.

That's nothing when compared to the purchase price of one of these things new, right off the assembly line at Wichita. Which has been set at $515,000.00. Back in 1968 when my dad was flying, that could darn near get you into a new Lear 24. Inflation, isn't it wonderful?

https://www.flyingmag.com/aircraft/pistons/diesel-cessna-skylane-delayed-until-2015

"The 182 JT-A is powered by a 227 hp SMA Safran compression ignition engine that will burn 11 gallons an hour, allow the diesel Skylane to fly 1,160 nautical miles on a single fill-up and cruise at 155 knots. Price has been set at $515,000."

$515,000 182 JT-A
011413_cessna_mh3.JPG

$179,000 Yak-52TW

Originally Posted By: billt460
I can't believe that all they have to hold the oil filter in place, and prevent any leaks, is a O-Ring with a single snap ring that fits into a groove. And not a threaded, sealed cap. That's leak waiting to happen.

Boy oh boy I’m not impressed with that oil filter retainer circlip rig. I wouldn’t much like it on a car but there’s just so many ways to get that clip ALMOST seated . Nothing bad could come of that right? Give me those old style aftermarket spin on rigs like I stuck on my Cessna 150. You couldn’t screw that up unlike this rig. I’m not the leas bit impressed, no way.

Originally Posted By: Driz
Originally Posted By: billt460

Boy oh boy I’m not impressed with that oil filter retainer circlip rig. I wouldn’t much like it on a car but there’s just so many ways to get that clip ALMOST seated . Nothing bad could come of that right? Give me those old style aftermarket spin on rigs like I stuck on my Cessna 150. You couldn’t screw that up unlike this rig. I’m not the leas bit impressed, no way.

That sealing system works fine on solid propellant rocket motors. Yes, you do have to be sure the snap ring is fully seated in the groove.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back