Mobil 1 once a year oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go up to around 18 months on my cars using full synthetics.

I've done UOAs and keep track of hours of operation which is more pertinent to my driving pattern than miles driven. If I went with time, I'd be changing at 6 months or a year depending on vehicle. If I went with mileage, I'd be running the oil even longer. Instead, I'm aiming for TBN to be around 3 which for me is best estimated using hours of operation.

1 year is not the limiting factor for the oil. It's how the vehicle is operated. Lots of very cold starts and short trips without any longer trips will be very very tough on oil. Oil is unlikely to last a year. Every trip being on the highway for an hour at 65mph will probably let you run M1 to it's stated mileage with room to spare. Do that exclusively once a week or month, and your oil could last for years.

My owners manual says to change the oil every 15,000 KM (9,300 miles) or 12 months, whichever comes first.

Makes sense to me.

Definitely a step out, but they know few people will go the full 20,000 miles ( the bottle says 1 year or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first.) I would not worry about the one year part. The oil isn’t evaporating.

They know darn well, if you are driving 20,000 miles in one year, you must be driving highway miles, which are easier.
Some big truck diesels are going 50,000 miles between changes. Yes the diesels lubricate but that is why gas engines are allowed 20 Instead of 50,000 miles. A UOA after 20,000 miles would tell the story.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dbvettez061
This really makes me wonder. I use Mobil 1 on all my vehicles, but would never leave it in for a year. Your thoughts are appreciated 🥃

Why do you say that. Need more info.

Never quite understood the reasoning behind changing it after one year, it's not like the oil suddenly turns bad on day 365 or 366.

I last changed the oil in October 2015 and plan on changing it again later this summer.

I don't really want to push it past 3 years.

I am running M1 0w-40 in a vehicle that sees about 1,000 miles per year.

One year is easy. I will change at the 2-3 year mark with a Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted By: dbvettez061
This really makes me wonder. I use Mobil 1 on all my vehicles, but would never leave it in for a year. Your thoughts are appreciated 🥃

Depends a lot on how many miles you drive them a year.

Toyota Sienna = 1 year or 10,000 miles.

CX9 = 6 months or 7,500...but my drive has changed and I do 7,500 or 1 year. UOAs show time isn't that big of a variable...more mileage, fuel dilution, etc. Do 9 months and do a UOA to prove a year is doable in your application.

Last edited:
Many would disagree, but one of my garage queens is a 350 vortec truck that gets maybe 1000-1500 miles/year. I have used M1 5w30EP for years, change at 5K whenever that may be. Usually 3-5 yr mark. Quiet as a mouse doesn't leak or use any oil, only 92K on truck but like new.

I was changing my M1 5w30 (not even EP or AP) every 2 years in my last Corvette as I was not driving it that much per year that I felt it needed changing that early. The UOAs showed that practice was just fine. The days of changing oil every 3 months are LONG GONE.

I never go by what motor oil manufacturer claims. My mechanic always tells me to go as per OCI recommendations in car owners manual.
Car/engine manufacturer knows best when to change oil.

Originally Posted By: BKTX
. Car/engine manufacturer knows best when to change oil.
Not always so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back