cheap laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am done with cheap laptops. First two I bought, I was trying to get what I thought was value--the most RAM, fastest CPU for least amount of cash. Within weeks, I regretted both (a Dell and a Toshiba). My last laptop was a Lenovo with an SSD that cost a few hundred more than the first two, and 2 years later I still love it. No I didn't read the article, but I read Donald's post. That should be enough.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Still have a ten year old 15 inch E-Machines laptop sold as a rebranded Acer sitting in my kitchen. Fire it up every month or two. The secret is that it has long since been stripped of Windows and after continuing to slow as Ubuntu 12.04 moved to 14.04, had a Lubuntu and ultimately Peppermint Linux put on it. The original Vista was moved up to Win 7 but that quickly became worse and worse, taking about fifteen minutes to get it going. Make the operating system light enough (as it is now) and just about anything will run. It is down to a single usb port.

I also remember a netbook bought at the same time--also Acer I believe-- that was anything but pleasant.

Much better to go with a $200 Chromebook. Have a couple of these and they continue to work without hesitation and they're great for sitting in a recliner and surfing. I could never figure out why someone would pass on one of these and buy a Windows machine for the same price.

Can't comment on paying more for a Windows machine because since moving to Linux I've sworn off all things Microsoft (or Apple) until I die. Busy counting the days until Ubuntu Mate 16.04 is released at which point I'll back up the files on my present Linux Mint 17.03 ride and move the operating system over.

There's nothing wrong with 'cheap' laptops, as long as you know what you're getting into, and you're mindful of what you're buying, as well as who you're buying it from..

Case in point - I bought this laptop in July 2015, for $269:

HP 15.6" laptop - AMD A6 CPU, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD

Sure, it was a refurb laptop, but I was buying it directly from Newegg, and I trust their support. I also trust HP's refurb process. Also, it was only $269.

It came with Windows 8.1, which in my mind was a major point against it, but Microsoft was offering the free Windows 10 upgrade at that time, and my plan was to take full advantage of that. Once I got it, Win10 was installed within 2 hours of opening the box.

I still have the laptop today, and I still use it regularly. It still works great.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
There's nothing wrong with 'cheap' laptops, as long as you know what you're getting into, and you're mindful of what you're buying, as well as who you're buying it from..

Case in point - I bought this laptop in July 2015, for $269:

HP 15.6" laptop - AMD A6 CPU, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD

Sure, it was a refurb laptop, but I was buying it directly from Newegg, and I trust their support. I also trust HP's refurb process. Also, it was only $269.

It came with Windows 8.1, which in my mind was a major point against it, but Microsoft was offering the free Windows 10 upgrade at that time, and my plan was to take full advantage of that. Once I got it, Win10 was installed within 2 hours of opening the box.

I still have the laptop today, and I still use it regularly. It still works great.

This article was talking more about laptops that are made new to sell cheap where many corners are cut to make it cheap. Nothing worse than keys that studder or a space bar that has to be pressed exactly in the middle to work.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

+1

I've purchased cheap WalMart type laptops and been very disappointed. The most recent being an HP Stream 11", which had a glitchy keyboard, screen was horrible, and the battery stopped charging only a few months after purchase. That said, you don't need to spend a fortune for a good laptop. Finding refurb deals or last generation models is a great way to save money on a solid laptop - ie. higher tier HP laptops, even seen some good Toshiba and Lenovo units out there. Macs are my system of choice personally. Macs have a premium cost associated with them but I always get at least 5 years of use out of them. Even Macs can be found with deep discounts on older gen. models and liquidation sales.

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with mine. I've been using it for 2? years now. I might upgrade the memory if I can come across some cheap. But it's been fine for me.

Light video editing. HD streaming to the HDTV.

Hinges and battery are holding up great after two years. I really want to upgrade to a 11'' touch screen 2 in 1 laptop with a bit more power ... but the Acer just keeps on kicking.

My MacBook Pro is running Ubuntu 16.04 and does everything better than my windows 7 or 10. Boots in 31 seconds flat. Has 8G ram and 255 SSD. Flies on the web.

I haven't paid for my last three laptops (two of which my children use now). Friends and Family that buy good laptops will use them for a few years and then decide they need the latest and greatest and upgrade. Since they know I dabble in Linux they give them to me. Some extra ram (if needed), an SSD, and my Linux distro of choice (usually Mint but I like to play around with others such as Solus right now) and they are running great.

Those cheap, small laptops were all the rage when I was back in college - but they are also bad compromises. No expandablity(not that it matters anymore with Lenovo/HP going the way of Apple), and they would choke even under Windows XP - ChromeOS is the only thing that's usable on those.

However, I did buy my parents this laptop for Christmas. For the price, it's good and I do plan on upgrading the RAM to 8GB and when the stock HDD goes out, a 256GB Samsung or Crucial M.2 SSD will go in. I doubt there's support for NVMe on a "value" laptop. For that price with HP or Dell, you'll only get a Celeron/Pentium/AMD A6 CPU.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-E5-575-33BM-...acer+aspire+e15

Originally Posted By: csandste
Still have a ten year old 15 inch E-Machines laptop sold as a rebranded Acer sitting in my kitchen. Fire it up every month or two. The secret is that it has long since been stripped of Windows and after continuing to slow as Ubuntu 12.04 moved to 14.04, had a Lubuntu and ultimately Peppermint Linux put on it. The original Vista was moved up to Win 7 but that quickly became worse and worse, taking about fifteen minutes to get it going. Make the operating system light enough (as it is now) and just about anything will run. It is down to a single usb port.

I also remember a netbook bought at the same time--also Acer I believe-- that was anything but pleasant.

Much better to go with a $200 Chromebook. Have a couple of these and they continue to work without hesitation and they're great for sitting in a recliner and surfing. I could never figure out why someone would pass on one of these and buy a Windows machine for the same price.

Can't comment on paying more for a Windows machine because since moving to Linux I've sworn off all things Microsoft (or Apple) until I die. Busy counting the days until Ubuntu Mate 16.04 is released at which point I'll back up the files on my present Linux Mint 17.03 ride and move the operating system over.

Junk hardware is junk hardware no matter what OS you are running. Linux isn't going to fix junk.

If you are going for a cheap laptop go for ACER. I got one that outlived 2 ASUS and one HP, all double the price of the ACER

Originally Posted By: pbm
Are Chromebooks less prone to viruses, malware etc....than Windows laptops?

They are not immune but the chances or getting it infected is very slim. The biggest threat is phishing which no operating system will protect you from. Common sense and a small degree of skepticism will protect you from that.

I agree with the article. The cheap Compaq laptop I bought over 10 years ago had a terrible keyboard. It was not very functional.

By trail and error I found R61 or R61i Thinkpads are built well, have the best keyboard I have used, and work well with Mint when they have onboard graphics. My R61 I purchased for $45.00 came with Core 2 Duo. Graphics are fine. Can watch youtube with screen maximized. I am impressed. There is no lag. Goes 133 gbps. It does everything I need, is quiet, and well built, nice screen, volume control buttons, etc.

I looked at Chrome books and they seemed so cheap by comparison. The cheap new laptops just don't have the features I am enjoying now.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Originally Posted By: csandste

Junk hardware is junk hardware no matter what OS you are running. Linux isn't going to fix junk.

Keyboard and display, maybe. But my Lenovo 100S Chromebook screams and the same model 100 Windows laptop barely runs. My girlfriend's elderly Toshiba laptop was much worse than my Acer, but it's continuing to work admirably with Ubuntu Mate 16.04. Ran out of steam to even boot Windows in 2014.

I learned a long time ago to stay away from the absolute cheapest stuff you can buy. There is a reason it's cheap - it's junk.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
I learned a long time ago to stay away from the absolute cheapest stuff you can buy. There is a reason it's cheap - it's junk.

Well, you can get a $35 Raspberry Pi and zip tie it to the back of a small touch screen available anywhere for $70 or less. Instant laptop tablet thing ... minus the battery part. No battery fires to worry about!

I've got a Pi too. It makes a great home server for messing around as well as a decent in a pinch machine. It shows its lack of RAM when running multiple tabs in a browser or doing video. But it is great for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back