bearing wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
the question is regarding the F250 in my sig. A few weeks ago we had some cold weather, well cold for down here. it was between 25-35 most of the week. One morning, 29 degrees, I cycled the glow plugs twice, and tried to start it, it turned over but wouldnt start. I tried again it started, blew a ton of white smoke, ran for 2 seconds and shut off. I then tried a second time where it turned over, and then turned over, smoked, ran for 2 seconds before I gave up. A few days later, it was pretty cold again, I cycled the glow plugs 3 times, but each time after the light went it out, I waited till I heard a click, which I assume was the glow plug relay. The truck started without a hiccup. Would that cold start failure have caused significant damage to the bearings? The L-H oil pressure gauge on the dash looks like its reading a tad bit lower than usual, might just be me worrying for nothing. Not sure if the gauge is a dummy gauge or not. Anyhow, truck still runs great. Just changed the oil with some Motorcraft 15W40 and a Napa gold 1734, I'll do a UOA in 5k miles, first one ever for this truck. It'll have 237k at the time of the UOA.

I doubt it built up enough cylinder pressure to load the bearings hard. The fuel wasn’t atomizing properly and there was incomplete combustion, so there wouldn’t be high pressures involved in my humble opinion. Check your owners manual. They probably allow 10W-30 for the winter, or better yet 0W-40 synthetic. Yes, I know no one in Louisiana does that. LOL.

It's possible a little more fuel than usual ended up past the rings and into the sump due to the failed starting attempt, but rest assured it most likely not enough to record noticeably less oil pressure, let alone bearing wear.
We have proven from DI gasoline engines it takes a TON! of fuel oil dilution to register any difference in a UOA as far as wear numbers go. In addition, the prolonged cranking from the failed starting attempt kept the bearings supplied with oil. Any time the engine is spinning, oil is being moved, the oil pump is surely a positive displacement pump.

These engines get fired up and run with 15W40 in much colder climates than you experience and there really isn't any discernible difference in engine longevity.

By the way I am almost positive those oil pressure gauges are in fact dummy gauges, so any small changes in oil pressure would be impossible to detect with the gauge.

Last edited:
Other than worry, what are you gonna do? 223 K miles has given the insides a little play. IF you are really worried , change the oil ASAP.and send off a sample so you can sleep at might.

In my experience, we had numerous no starts with the 7.3L in temps down to -40F. I ran a fleet with hundreds of 7.3s in the fleet. A great engine that just won't die. I think I lost one crankshaft over many years - due to low oil. Don't lose sleep over your experience.

I wouldn’t worry about bearing wear due to starts like that. Those HUI injectors use high pressure oil to pop them, so you must have oil flowing before it cranks anyway. Could be as simple as needing a glow plug change. My duramaxs and cummins Fire right up in the cold, but my IDI trucks need the glow plugs nice and hot to start. When they start having issues in the cold, a quick glow plug swap cures the issue.

Not to change subject. But, do they still write a lot of tickets in Golden Meadow? I've heard stories........

Respectfully,

Pajero!

yes they sure do, it has not and never will change. But whats sad is people who have businesses in the town , or one guy I went high school with, his grandfather was police chief in the 70s, they can speed amongst other things and not worry about getting ticketed.

Last edited:
Plain and simple, you need glow plugs or a glow plug relay. It's all unburnt fuel. You'd do much better going over to Ford Truck Enthusiast forum or Powerstroke Nation and read up over there. what you are experiencing is common with the 7.3 and most don't find out until cold weather hits.

GLOW PLUGS! with over 200K and you've never changed them, they are due!! The 7.3 was "cranky" in the cold, always was. Don't worry one bit about the bearings/bottom end, it hasn't hurt a thing and with 200K the 7.3 is just broken in!

I highly recommend switching to a 10W30 oil though, I was a long time believer in "15W40 only for a diesel" but man these HUEI systems love a 10W30! My 6.0 started and ran like a different truck when I switched especially when I was in northern VA and it got cold!

Trouble shoot before changing parts . Make sure the batteries are good. My wife has a 2002.7.3 and the batteries never make 3 years before needing replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back