CASTROL Magnatec Or High Mileage Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 Lariat-51,000 miles-5.4 3 valve engine
Currently I am using Mobil1 0w40 to clean out my engine. At 3000-5000 miles I will drain it. I want to use either CASTROL Magnatec or CASTROL High Mileage oil. I was told either one of these oils will help keep it quiet. They are both the same price at Walmart. Which one would you use?

What 17.88 isn't good enough a buy?
blush.gif

Kind of funny considering I just made the switch over to Magnatec from GTX HM in my 08 Santa Fe. It depends what you think you want or need. My 2.7L engine isn't burning any oil or leaking. I switched over from a lifetime of Edge to GTX HM to prevent any kind of leaks/burning in future originally. They are same price at Walmart. I went to Full syn Magnatec to get a longer OCI plus it's really cheap Full syn with great results. I never had any high mileage type of issues yet so I switched back. It seemed like a more quiet startup/idle sound to me. But could be in my head. I will continue to run GTX HM for the rest of the lifespan of my 93 s10 with 205,000 which does burn some oil and small leak. I'd go with Magnatec if you are not having any high mileage issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: MRtv
What 17.88 isn't good enough a buy?
blush.gif

When you've got a stash it doesn't cost you a thing to wait.

Agree entirely. Wait for sales and stock up.

10w30 QuakerState UD.

Better than Magnetec. Just ran magnetic Semi-synthetic 5w30 (very good) QSUD 10w30 (Excellent) and Magnetec 5w30 Synthetic (Fair) all on same engine.

Batches vary but that was my take. I will NOT run Magnatec synthetic 5w30 again (until I forgot I said that to myself)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
10w30 QuakerState UD.

Better than Magnetec. Just ran magnetic Semi-synthetic 5w30 (very good) QSUD 10w30 (Excellent) and Magnetec 5w30 Synthetic (Fair) all on same engine.

Batches vary but that was my take. I will NOT run Magnatec synthetic 5w30 again (until I forgot I said that to myself)

I've got a jug of QSUD 10W30 waiting to go in the Z soon as I get around to it.

Originally Posted By: CajunLariat
2004 Lariat-51,000 miles-5.4 3 valve engine
Currently I am using Mobil1 0w40 to clean out my engine. At 3000-5000 miles I will drain it. I want to use either CASTROL Magnatec or CASTROL High Mileage oil. I was told either one of these oils will help keep it quiet. They are both the same price at Walmart. Which one would you use?

You are from LA.
Don't you remember the damage done to the Gulf by Castrol BP?
And you want to support them now.

Did your engine run smoother with UD? Just curious how it's better than magnatec. I haven't tried it but thought about trying another HM oil in the S10 to see if the RMS would totally stop leaking instead of just slowing down. Sounds like I'll be researching it if it's that good.

10w30 QuakerState UD.

Last edited:
CajunLariat, your truck has just 51K miles. You don't need High Mileage. Castrol Magnatec full synthetic should be fine. Just a few days ago I had checked MSDS for Magnatec and found that the oil is mix of highly refined base oil and hydrotreated heavy paraffinic distillates with additives.In United States full synthetic is just a marketing term for selling group III oils.
BTW, 17.88 for full synthetic is not a bad price.

I told my dad (blueovalfitter) about the replies I got. He said I should have just asked him. He uses CASTROL Magnetec in his truck. It has 148,000 miles on it. I asked him why he doesnt use CASTROL High mileage instead? He said the Magnatec makes his engine run more quiet. I hope it makes my engine quiet to.

Originally Posted By: bradtech
Did your engine run smoother with UD? Just curious how it's better than magnatec. I haven't tried it but thought about trying another HM oil in the S10 to see if the RMS would totally stop leaking instead of just slowing down. Sounds like I'll be researching it if it's that good.

10w30 QuakerState UD.

Ran as good as it ever ran, smooth quiet powerful and better than average gas mileage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
10w30 QuakerState UD.

I've got a jug of QSUD 10W30 waiting to go in the Z soon as I get around to it.

Hope your batch blend is as good as mine was. Let me know
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back