Michelin Defender LTX MS or General Grabber HTS60

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have narrowed down my tire selection for my 2003 Suburban to the General Grabbers HTS60 and the Michelin Defender LTX MS.
I expect to only get 45k miles out of either brand before the Michelin's rot or the General tread wears.
What I am looking for is which is the smoothest and quietest ride.
My benchmark is the Firestone Destination LE2's that came with my truck when I bought it used. These are smooth and quiet, but I am looking for a stronger tire that I can tow with occasionally, plus I keep my truck loaded for work, so it is always running heavy.
Looking for ride and noise level of the Destination and strength of the Michelin's.
Anyone have any input on either of these?
Price is not an issue, I can get the Michelin's for 150.00 more than Grabbers, so I am looking for performance characteristics, not value.

The Defender LTX M/S replaced the LTX M/S 2; the tread design appears the same but the compound has changed slightly to mitigate the sidewall micro-cracks that Michelin seems to be prone to (at least that was my understanding of the conversation with my local Discount Tire) I have had the LTX M/S 2 version on my Tacoma for a few years now; by far the best thing I could have done for my Tacoma. While your Suburban platform will be heavier, if your driving is street and highway based, I can without question recommend the Michelin's. On my Tacoma they are smooth, quiet, and very stable when high speed maneuvering is needed on the highway...predictable. You will pay slightly more for the Michelins, but well worth it. Check the Michelin website for promotions; around holidays they usually run a $70 gift card rebate on a set of 4.

Mostly highway driving in Florida. I have MS/2's on my other truck (Expedition) which was my reason for only expecting 3 years before the compound breaks down. They have performed very well up to the 3.5 year/45k mileage. Same with previous set of Michelin's. I was curious about the new Defender MS series specifically, since some reviews say they are noisier and stiffer due to new compound.

Originally Posted By: Fitz98
I have narrowed down my tire selection for my 2003 Suburban to the General Grabbers HTS60 and the Michelin Defender LTX MS.
I expect to only get 45k miles out of either brand before the Michelin's rot or the General tread wears.
What I am looking for is which is the smoothest and quietest ride.
My benchmark is the Firestone Destination LE2's that came with my truck when I bought it used. These are smooth and quiet, but I am looking for a stronger tire that I can tow with occasionally, plus I keep my truck loaded for work, so it is always running heavy.
Looking for ride and noise level of the Destination and strength of the Michelin's.
Anyone have any input on either of these?
Price is not an issue, I can get the Michelin's for 150.00 more than Grabbers, so I am looking for performance characteristics, not value.

I'm 18 months and just shy of 14,000 miles into my set of Defender LTX M/S tires on my 4Runner and I couldn't be happier. They're quieter than the Destination L/E on the 2016 Tacoma I'm currently driving for a friend who is deployed overseas. Tread wear on the Michelin's has been outstanding, they're quiet, sure footed, great in the rain, ride well, balanced with nearly no weights, zero tread squirm even when new. I elected to spend a little more on these this time as my last 2 sets of tires were SCARY in the rain after only 3 years and 35,000 miles, hopefully these will continue to perform well but the initial 18 months has been great.

I would buy which ever is cheaper. Both seem similar from the reviews I see and neither has a large/chunky tread.

The HTS60 are on my short list of tires for my truck as well.

Go to Costco and get the Defender LTX M/S Michelin tires, or the Costco flavor of them (very much the same) . I have a small fleet of trucks and the Michelins clearly outperform the General tires. Especially on wet roads.

Last edited:
I have had the original ltx m/s 2 on my Blazer which I totaled.
Bought an Equinox and replaced the treadless tires on it with the Defender ltx M/S
Really liked both of them.
I can't compare them to the General Grabbers.
But these are quiet. Did well in the rain and the snow I have had (nothing deep).
10k miles so far and very little tread wear.

Last edited:
I have a 2000 tundra with over 275,000 miles on it.
Last month I bought Michelin set number 4 for it.
The previous 3 sets all went a minimum of 70K miles.
They’re great in snow, which isn’t a big concern for you in FLA.
They’re great in the rain.
Smooth ride too.
And they don’t grab parallel cracks in the road like the factory Dunlops did.

Everybody who has been on this Forum for any length of time knows that there is a love fest with Michelin tires.

Your not going to get unbiased views on Michelin. According to BITIOG-they are the greatest tires in the world.

Decide for your self which ever is the best value FOR YOU.

I would however look very closely before buying tires from a large discount warehouse-tires are not their specialty. Many who live in large cities report very long wait times for routine rotations or flat repair.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Everybody who has been on this Forum for any length of time knows that there is a love fest with Michelin tires.

Your not going to get unbiased views on Michelin. According to BITIOG-they are the greatest tires in the world.

It might be that their tires are pretty good?
I was going to buy Pirelli P4's for my wife's Sienna. Then I just seen Tire Rack's test and comparison to some others. Horrible wet traction.
Going with the Continental True Contacts.
She has Michelin Xice on it now. Liked them for their longevity and good ice traction.
So for what it's worth, I'm not a Michelin cheerleader. But the Defender ltx M S is a really good tire.

I am very familiar with the shortcomings of the Michelin line, having had 2 different sets for a total of 90k miles between the 2.
What I have noticed on both sets in Florida is that they perform and lasted very well up until the 3 year 40k mark, then the rubber fails to the point of needing replacement, sidewalls on first set, treadblocks on second set.
Of all the research I have done, it seems like 40k is about the going rate for a tire life expectancy regardless of brand or advertised warranty or cost, so I am prepared to accept that is all I can really expect.
I was really intent on not using Michelin again, but as with anything else, every brand has its tradeoffs and even with the Generals, it seems like most reviewers compare them to the Michelin's like on tirereviewsandmore they review and say "While arguably not on the level of top all-season tires like the Michelin Defender LTX M/S, you won’t find excessive noise on this tire". The only reason I put Michelin back on the list is Tire Rack has 3 million miles reported with a very positive rating, quite better on ride and comfort and noise over the Grabbers and the Grabbers are only reporting their reviews on 340k miles. I was almost sold on a change to Grabbers up until that point where I saw the comparison chart.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS
Just looking for some real life feedback from users, happy or not to see if the Michelin's are the same, better or worse that the previous MS/2 version and as some members have done already, actually compare the noise and comfort to the Firestone LE 2's or the Grabbers.
It seems like an impossible task to buy based on pictures, specs and online reviews alone.
Thanks to everyone for their input, it helps.

What a stupid comment.

I would however look very closely before buying tires from a large discount warehouse-tires are not their specialty. Many who live in large cities report very long wait times for routine rotations or flat repair.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Go with the Michelin, they are an absolutely excellent tire, you won't be disappointed.

Like every other tire maker Michelin has a dog or two in their line.

However, the Defender LTX series is one of their finest. I can't speak to time they last, as we drive a lot around here, but for miles they are hard to beat and they may save your life when the weather goes bad...

Michelin Defender LTX on the wife’s Jeep replaced the Factory Firestone Destination LE. No complaints here, wearing very well, good all around performance.

I can't speak about the Generals, but I just put a set of Defender LTX on my 2001 Silverado 2WD shortbox and would recommend them. The ride is smooth up to 70 mph, and I hear nothing I would call tire noise. Only one of the four wheels has balance weights on the outside. I got excellent service and a rebate at Discount Tire.

They replaced a 9-year-old set of the original LTX M/S. Those had plenty of tread left at 40,000, but they were getting slippery in the rain. Before the first Michelins, I had a set of the first Destination LE. I dumped them at 3 years and 31,000 miles. They started out feeling soft and squirmy, and were like driving on ice skates through two Michigan winters. The Michelins actually let me stop and go in the winter. The Defender LTX tread design is the same, so I expect they will be just as good in rain and snow.

Pulled the trigger on the Defender LTX M/S, thanks to all the very positive reviews. Have not heard anyone say anything bad about them, other than price.
Purchased from Sam's. Their price was very competitive, but their installation package at 15.00 per tire which includes lifetime flat repairs, 24 hour roadside emergency tire assistance, road hazard, balance and rotation can't be beat, plus they are everywhere and close, so I am not limited for service if needed when traveling.
830.00 out the door including tax and installation

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: e55amgbenz007

What a stupid comment.

Nope not stupid. Obviously you haven't read some of the tire threads.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back