best engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1994 S10 is nearing the end of its life. Rust is starting to attack the frame so it may be time soon to look for another vehicle. Ill probably look for a pickup of some sort. Maybe full size one. Now my price range is going to be less than 10,000 I will likely end up with one with more than a few miles. Is there any engines I should stay away from? I'm not brand loyal. The 2.2 in the S10 was IMHO a very good engine. Not tons of power gas mileage was somewhat disappointing but still a good solid engine. I just need a daily. Ive Been driving a 2wd here in ND with little issues so a big 4WD with a big powerful engine is not really needed for me. Just something with a nice simple reliable engine is what I want.

Hard to beat GM pickups, maybe another S10/S15/Sonoma with a 2.2 or even a 4.3, or possibly a C1500 with a 4.3? My old job (20-25 years ago) ran S10s into the ground, they had 2.8 & 4.3 examples that cleared 300K!

Last edited:
I don't know what the "best" is, but I'll throw in a vote for a 2wd Toyota Tacoma or even an older "Pickup" (literally the name of the vehicle). The 2.4l 22re in the older trucks is pretty much bullet-proof as is the 3.4l (I think) V6 in 1st generation Tacomas. 4x4 Toyotas are expensive to say the least. If you're looking for a 2wd, you might find a rust-free jewel for a good price.

Someone else might chime in but I can't think of any small trucks in the last 20 years that had "bad" engines. I personally would avoid an auto trans in a domestic but other than that, I'm not brand loyal either.

both the 2.2 and 4.3s are probably two of the best engines in terms of durability and ease of maintenance. Solid workhorse vehicle.

This is going to be a GM ,RAM, Ford shooting match. If you already had a S-10, consider the Ford Ranger, Chev Colorado, or Dodge Dakota. If you’re in North Dakota I would opt for 4 wheel drive. You’ll never regret it. Two wheel drive trucks are too light in the back end. My two bits. I’d go for 2000 or newer. They were getting their horsepower back around then. I like the Ford Ranger with the V-6.

SF

A 2wd Ranger/B2000 with the 2.3 Duratec and a manual should be a good KISS drivetrain, no timing belts, VVT, etc. I don't know of any real trouble spots with the duratec.
I agree with not getting even a V6 Ranger if your not towing something significant, it does nothing for you but burn gas.

The early OHC 4.0 had timing chain issues Later models were better. IMO the OHV 4.0 was a better engine, Trouble is the OHV 4.0 will run like a watch while the rest of the truck rusts away. I wish I could find a rust free example of the Rat. I don't care if it has been to the moon and back. I gots me a fine drive train to put in it.

A 4.0 Jeep Commanche would be dirt simple and pretty cool, but the newest would be a 92 and most are either beat up or turned into a buggy.

Originally Posted By: andyd
The early OHC 4.0 had timing chain issues Later models were better. IMO the OHV 4.0 was a better engine, Trouble is the OHV 4.0 will run like a watch while the rest of the truck rusts away. I wish I could find a rust free example of the Rat. I don't care if it has been to the moon and back. I gots me a fine drive train to put in it.

I think the issues are blown up more than they actually happen. My friend had a 2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 with the 4.0 SOHC, supposedly one of the trouble years, and it ran flawlessly until he sold it at almost 190k. The engine was extremely quiet.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
A 4.0 Jeep Commanche would be dirt simple and pretty cool, but the newest would be a 92 and most are either beat up or turned into a buggy.

I couldn't find one when I started driving 12 years ago, I doubt there are many left. The ones I do see are extremely expensive and still really beat up.

I kind of regret not buying a 1990 I saw a few years ago, but I was in college and a second older Jeep on a college student budget would've been a bad idea. It was a red 4x4 short bed 4.0L auto with 120k and zero rust.

What about flying down to the southern states for a rust free truck and make a short road trip out of it? Then you can keep up on rust proofing and it'll last a lot longer?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
What about flying down to the southern states for a rust free truck and make a short road trip out of it? Then you can keep up on rust proofing and it'll last a lot longer?

+1
Just look for a newer rust-free example of your current truck in Texas, Arizona, or California. You should be able to find one for a LOT less money than your $10k budget.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper

Just saw one the other day. Decent shape and fairly unmolested.

No rust in the SW but be aware if buying 10+ year old trucks the sun is hard on paint and interiors.

With that budget, I'd fly to LA and hunt Craigslist for a weekend. You'll find a great rust free 1 or 2 owner truck with maybe 80,000 miles. Have it serviced and drive it home. Four days total and you are there
smile.gif

Since you live in North Dakota, I would go for a Dodge Dakota. An old one with the 3.9 Magnum V6. It's not the best engine, but it's not the worst.

Well as for Toyota , right off beware those affected years mid 2000s if they come from the rust belt. Check very carefully for completely rotted out frames. That’s a real big problem with those trucks so watch it. There was a big recall but the timeline ran out already for most . Newer ones better but $$$$.
Same goes for the 98 - early mid 2000s GM1500s. Rear frames are more Unit body than real frame and in salt they just literally melt away. I own one of those lovelies and unless you can fab up your own rear frame like me stay away. If you can find one that’s not from the rust belt fine but believe me anything else put it on a lift first and be sure. They are fine from tank forward but from tank back it’s totally different metal. It’s also the worst [censored] I ever welded for whatever reason....... note it’s hard to notice looking from the outside when deteriorated which is why I say lift or crawl under from back and put your hands on it.
There, ii didn’t tell you what to look for but at least a couple to be very careful when buying.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Tacoma if you want something reliable, or maybe a late model 2010-2011 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6.
I owne d a cpuple tacos. Man worst small pickup maybe next to Nissan oof the same vintage.

Rangers and s10/s15 absolutely destroy imports..

'81 S10 short bed std cab with 2.8L w/ Rochester varajet and 5 speed manual. Outstanding! On of my top 5 cars out of 70 cars and counting.

Last edited:
In a truck? My vote goes to the Toyota I4s, GM 4.3L V6, Ford Vulcan V6(the Taurus motor) or Nissan's KA24DE I4/VG series V6. The GM motor might need the new Fel-Pro PermaDryPlus stainless steel and FKM intake manifold gaskets and the newer Delphi CSFI spider but all of those have proven to be tough engines - the Nissan V6 does use a timing belt but it's not a difficult job replacing it and for how little it holds in fluids(oil and coolant), that engine can handle some major abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back