Carquest Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I've heard right, AutoZone's STP oil filters are made by Champion Labs and O'Reilly's Microguard oil filters are made by WIX. Who makes Advance Auto's CARQUEST oil filters?

When did this change? When I was using Carquest oil filters a number of years ago they were made by Wix, they even used a very similar part number to the Wix too.

Originally Posted By: Patman
When did this change? When I was using Carquest oil filters a number of years ago they were made by Wix, they even used a very similar part number to the Wix too.
I believe this changed when AAP bought out CarQuest.

vwalburn
AutoZone is transitioning over to Purolator/Mann+Hummel Filters in their Xtended Life and Maximum Life oil filters. They had older Champ Labs Ecores still on the shelf. I haven’t visited an Advance Auto Parts store in some time so, I can’t comment on their stock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted By: Patman
I believe this changed when AAP bought out CarQuest.

Our AAP seem to have some CarQuest parts on the shelf , but not too many . Guessing they will eventually have none ?

I read on here not that long ago that CQ filters were no longer being made by Wix. I was using the CQ Premiums on my Ram since 2013, and my current OC has one on it as I speak, but since that info and the info I have read about Purolator, my next OC's, I will be using Fram Tough Guards.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
For an extra couple bucks you can get a Fram Ultra.

I get a pretty good deal on the CQ filters and using an FU, even if it is on sale, is overkill for my OCI's and still a few bucks more than the TG's.

I think when I do my next OC, I am going to try and cut open the CQP to see what it looks like in there? I will likely only have around 6-7,000 kms on it if we end up getting a normal spring?

Without having a specific filter cutter, what is the best way to get this done? A mini grinder with a cutting wheel or a hack saw? Just trying to keep as much foreign stuff out of there as I can.

Snagglefoot, I noticed this today and posted it. Not sure if this would be out in your area or not though?
http://www.partsource.ca/en/flyer.html

CQ filters have been Purolator for a while. I hunted down every last PH2/FL-820S CQ Blue equivalent they had when they were phased out (87352s), I got the last of those.

I think the splitting of Fram and Champion Laboratories may have had some bearing on their combined operation no longer supplying CQ filters, a ripe time when Purolator stepped in.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
CQ filters have been Purolator for a while. I hunted down every last PH2/FL-820S CQ Blue equivalent they had when they were phased out (87352s), I got the last of those.

What year, Bullwinkle? I had no idea who made them, I just went with my buddy telling me they were made by Wix and I trusted him, especially since he works at CQ.

I want to cut apart my current one in use more than ever now, but at the same time, that may not be a smart decision based on what I have learned about Purolator filters on here!
eek.gif

I must have missed some posts concerning Purolator. I always thought they were well made. What are the concerns about Purolator now? What's changed?

I bought a blue STP 3614 a year or so ago and it was a Purolator. Assumed it was champ and immediately noticed it was Puro when I got home. I look now so I won't get burned again. This time I bought the made in China STP extended life 3614. No problems so far. I had one Purolator tear, so never again.

Originally Posted By: irv

What year, Bullwinkle? I had no idea who made them, I just went with my buddy telling me they were made by Wix and I trusted him, especially since he works at CQ.

I want to cut apart my current one in use more than ever now, but at the same time, that may not be a smart decision based on what I have learned about Purolator filters on here!
eek.gif

What's all the concerns about Purolator?

Originally Posted By: vwalburn

eek.gif

Sometimes the media will tear.

I must have missed some posts concerning Purolator. I always thought they were well made. What are the concerns about Purolator now? What's changed?

Where you been for the last 4 years?
lol.gif

eek.gif

Lots of thread about them in here.
Here's one: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3925549/1

Quality control changed over 4 years ago.
Lots of Purolator made filters have issues with pleats tearing at wide spacing on each side of the media seam.
Here is one I had that did it (and there are many others that have almost identical tears in the same spot over several models).:
full-4879-7369-12.jpg

eek.gif

I had a Frampion made CQ Red (made March 9, 2015) as well as a Wix made CQ Red (made in 2014, don't remember the exact date code)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back