My new to me '91 K1500 Ext Cab Long Bed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've made a previous post about my purchase of this truck. The weather was nice and I had the opportunity to wash, wax and clean the inside of the truck. Here are few photos. It's a 5.7L "350" V8 with 3.73 Axles and Axle Positraction (G80 equipped). I have no idea why the images were flipped when uploaded. If anybody knows how to flip them, please let me know.

I REALLY like that truck. For some reason, I'm even digging the old man bug shield and cap. It just all works together.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks! It was driven by an old man! I've always wanted to have truck around the house, especially with insurance rates so low on these. Soon, I will start doing the fluids and preventive maintenance on this thing.

That's a solid older Chevy - great find! Around here it's hard to find one under 220,000 miles that hasn't had the snot beat out of it.

A friend had an '89 K1500 short bed. What a truck! SBC "383" conversion, revised diffs (gone were the little "swing out" fingers), 'twas a manual.
Oddly, the clutch slave was on the passenger's side. This necessitated a snaky hydraulic line.
I figured the transmission would be more popular in UK applications so GM put it on the right side.

Does your '91 have the "shared bulge" in the glove compartment? Half the bulge is in the back of the glove box and the other half bulges out the firewall. It contained the new electronics. My friend's fuel system came with a tuned chip and a more stock one.

Does your engine have the separate, nascent fuel control system?
'Twas a 5' X 6" X1.5" black plastic thing on its own bracket ahead of and to the right of the carb?

HERE'S THE KICKER: Upon doing a head job (thank me very much!) and installing headers the engine ran badly.
We tried adjusting the valves several times. My pal tried replacing the push rods and more.

It turns out the BATTERY CABLE had a tap off to power the fuel system.
The battery cable's clamp was full of corrosion. A new cable cured the horrid condition.

His vehicle also had a muffler AHEAD of the air cleaner's snorkel.

I love your hood mounted bug deflector too but it does seem a bit aged. It might shatter if you ever go above 55 mph!

Very nice. The positrac can be annoying in some instances but a lifesaver in others - not to mention pricey to retrofit if you wanted it but didn't have it. 350+3.73's = good pulling! If you can keep the 700r4 happy.

It will get sucking down the gas, although the 350 is a great engine. Is it carb or TBI? The 350 truck and marine engines were 4 bolt mains and the cars were 2 bolt mains. I had a 350 in my 93 Suburban and currently have one in my Mercruiser powered boat.

Really nice find & congrats. Looks like the old man took really good care of it & kept it in a garage? Body is in great shape for the year. I like the cap on the back but the front bug deflector would have to go. How many miles on the old beast? My Uncle Keith had a 1990 4W4 single cab short bed with that motor & trans & same color as yours. Almost made 200k before he sold it.

Wow, that really is a nice truck. Keep it rust proofed and it'll last you a long time.

Even if the engine blew, throwing in a crate motor isn't that expensive.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Very nice. The positrac can be annoying in some instances but a lifesaver in others - not to mention pricey to retrofit if you wanted it but didn't have it. 350+3.73's = good pulling! If you can keep the 700r4 happy.

What are you referring too? Every truck I have ever owned I have opted for a posi-trac and I don't ever recall any problems with any of them?

To the OP. I assume your pics were taken from a phone? If so, mine does the same thing and the only way to fix them, that I know of, is to edit them first somehow like do a bit of cropping or resizing then saving them. If you don't save them, then they will post like your's did. Like your's, some are OK, but most are upside down or sideways.

Congrats with your new truck. Looks to be in great shape!
cheers3.gif

This is a TBI truck with the early 1991 build that still has the half moon gauges instead of the needle gauges .

Someone suggested Rust-Oleum Black paint to spray the bottom with (4-5 cans) and apply once a year at home. Would this do the trick for rustproofing the undercarriage?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back