Have you ever used bean oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe that's where the name "Castrol" comes from. Also used as a (racing) 2-stroke oil, but it is pretty cokey.

On a gun, very long term, I'd think there might be a risk of it gumming up the action.

I have used various veg oils as chain lubricants, either alone or mixed with motor oil. Seem nice lubricants but they do get a bit gummy (very if they are allowed to stand for a long while).

Cannola seems best. Castor oil is too expensive so I havn't tried it.

Also anti-rust treatment, and tyre treatment, but I stopped the last since I thought there might be dangerous softening of the rubber.

Last edited:
Love the smell of bean oil in a 2 stroke
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
laugh.gif

Yep, I buy castor at the drugstore and add it to my outdoor equipment from time to time...

Quote:
Love the smell of bean oil in a 2 stroke laugh

Smells pretty good in four stroke motors as well. It does
seem to settle to bottom of tank over time though.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
laugh.gif

Bean oil and Alcohol, or methanol, smells.....Like Victory!

Speedway, flat track racers used this combination.

In WW1 aircraft used castor oil based lubricant for their engine.
An unexpected consequence was pilots had very loose bowels, never mind the dangers of actually flying in a war zone.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
...Also used as a (racing) 2-stroke oil, but it is pretty cokey...

...Cannola seems best. Castor oil is too expensive so I havn't tried it.

Also anti-rust treatment, and tyre treatment, but I stopped the last since I thought there might be dangerous softening of the rubber.

Unrefined or virgin castor bean oil is not a good lubricant.

Remember my father running the 2 stroke castor bean oil in H1 and H2 Kawasakis back in the day.

Originally Posted By: Claud
In WW1 aircraft used castor oil based lubricant for their engine.
An unexpected consequence was pilots had very loose bowels, never mind the dangers of actually flying in a war zone.

Claud.
s
Read somewhere it was used by Mussolini's Fascist thugs, force-fed to political opponents.

Redline in the description of their 2-cycle oils says the oils have the lubricating properties of castor oils, but are cleaner.

Thought it was interesting. Castor oil can be a very effective lubricant, but, the drawback is that it is dirty. Redline is trying to mimic the lubricating qualities, but be much cleaner at the same time. Best of both worlds, basically.

https://www.redlineoil.com/two-stroke-racing-oil

My father & Cousin ran 2 cyc racing boat engines back in the 60s. I don't remember the concoction but, it was 70% nitro + Alcohal + castor bean oil. Gads, I loved the smell of the bean oil when the engines were running. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back