Led headlights...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen so many of these "burnt out" on new cars. Whats the deal? I thought these were supposed to last a lot longer then halogen. I do like how they look, they certainly dress up a vehicle if the manufacture designs them right, but I can only imagine how expensive that can be since the whole headlight has to be replaced when they go bad. Just a thought.

Maybe it's me, but I usually see many burnt ones on german cars, maybe a coincidence? Noticed similar for halogens too.

Your right there's alot of newish cars on the road with burnt out headlights. The ones I noticed aren't LED's though.

Might be because people are running the headlights as Daytime Running Lights when the vehicle is not equipped with DRLs.

If DRLs are part of the OEM Body&Frame computer, they either use the turn signal lamps or they use the High Beams wired in Series (which means you are running 12V into a 24V lamp set, so it's half brightness, or less than half brightness, vs high beams and dimmer than low beams). DRLs are required to be relatively dim and the MVSS will limit the lumens they can project.

They use the High Beams because DRLs in nations that require them must aim straight ahead, which low beams aren't designed to do. Turn signal lamps can be used because Canada allows amber or white for DRLs (European, UK, Russian, Japanese etc don't. This was done as a concession to the Big3 automakers who wanted to minimize parts differences in North American vehicles).

I’ve seen lots of clowns who retrofit their halogen reflector housings with LEDs and HIDs. Those are frequently blown, but I can’t recall seeing too many factory setups that are out.

I see the LED eyebrow lights that double as daytime running lights, burned out, regularly. These are not headlights though, just mostly for show.

220px-LED_DaytimeRunningLights.jpg

Im sick and tired of people buying PNP LEDs and stickin them into halogen housings increasing glare and reducing actual output on the ground. But bro they are so bright when I stand in front of em bro...

I see many LED daytime running lights out on newer GM pickups/SUVs as well as Dodge Chargers/Chrysler 300s. I don't see so many LED headlights/tail lights out, but I do see some.

I wish every vehicle on the road had LEDs, as they are much easier on my eyes on long overnight drives, especially in the rain. Some of the aftermarket LEDs are blinding if installed poorly or improperly. My Freightliner Cascadia has LED headlights and taillights (factory installed) made by Truck-Lite and I love them. When I go home and drive my F150 at night, it's almost as if I'm driving with my sunglasses on (comparatively speaking).

Remember the DRLs turn off on one side when turn signals on that side are turned on...at least on the GMs and Chryslers I've owned.

They burn out because people buy cheap ones off eBay.

My Sonata came with some and I hated the white light, so I put in Halogens (did the 9006->9011 bulb mod) and it's unbelievable how much brighter they are. Nice yellow color is easy to see, nice cutoff on the pattern, and more powerful.

Correction: I am talking about stock OEM daytime running lights, not aftermarket.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Remember the DRLs turn off on one side when turn signals on that side are turned on...at least on the GMs and Chryslers I've owned.

Yup that's right, but I see many cruising the interstate with one of the DRLs out. No turn signal on. Whether they're a DRL or just a dress-up light, many are going out.

As far as actual LED headlights (not just decorative) are there any manufacturers other than Honda/Acura using them? I have decorative LED rings in my Jeep, but the actual headlights are HIDs.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
As far as actual LED headlights (not just decorative) are there any manufacturers other than Honda/Acura using them? I have decorative LED rings in my Jeep, but the actual headlights are HIDs.

Mercedes went to LED as standard equipment on the E class in 2014. They're also in other classes, but I don't know when they did the switch for other models. I prefer my HID in previous years, those came with headlamp washers and they got rid of them with the LEDs. They did keep the active curve illumination feature found on the bixenons but they called them dynamic LEDs, but that was an extra cost option. I believe the Corolla also had them as standard a few years ago, can't remember what year they started. The tail lights were LEDs years ago, when they failed, you couldn't just replace a bulb, you had the buy the whole tail lamp for a few hundred. In those cases, the control board in the tail lamp went bad, not the LEDs.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
I see many LED daytime running lights out on newer GM pickups/SUVs as well as Dodge Chargers/Chrysler 300s. I don't see so many LED headlights/tail lights out, but I do see some.

I wish every vehicle on the road had LEDs, as they are much easier on my eyes on long overnight drives, especially in the rain. Some of the aftermarket LEDs are blinding if installed poorly or improperly. My Freightliner Cascadia has LED headlights and taillights (factory installed) made by Truck-Lite and I love them. When I go home and drive my F150 at night, it's almost as if I'm driving with my sunglasses on (comparatively speaking).

See them out on quite a few Fords and Kias as well...

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I hate em. They blind me.

You sir took the words right out of my brain. Word theft.

I bought a pair of these fishing glasses at Walmart for night driving >>>>

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I hate em. They blind me.

You sir took the words right out of my brain. Word theft.

I bought a pair of these fishing glasses at Walmart for night driving >>>>

Am I the only one that isn't bothered by LED headlights (at least factory installed or quality aftermarket)? I'm serious about wishing all vehicles had LEDs. The white light is so much easier to deal with in the rain or snow (for me anyway). Many people with good ol' incandescent bulbs use their high beams and more so in rain/snow. That's when the fishing (anti-glare) glasses are handy.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back