SR20DET Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

First off I read all the threads on this site regarding oil recommendations for users that posted regarding the SR20DET and DE.

My engine is pretty heavily modified and dynoed at around 350 whp, with a Tomei Turbo.

Long story short, living in southern PA, this car will be driven year round starting in spring, temperatures range in winter to -5F in the worst winter conditions to 95-100 in the hottest summer locations.

In the past users recommended M1 0w40, most of the Nissan\SR20 forums recommend 15w50, I can get my hands on Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 and currently am using that.

Drain intervals of 5,000 miles (Shorter on track events).

Would appreciate any thoughts should I keep with the Delvac 1 ESP or move to something else?

I owned a 92 240 with an SR swap around the same power output as yours for several years. I used redline 10w30 back when Advance Auto was selling it after I couldn't get the redline easily I switched to Mobil 1 0w40 and never had any issues. If I had the car today considering I never did any track time I would probably use M1 0w40 or Castrol 0W40 just because they are easy to find.

Last edited:
Need some more engine info. Aftermarket pistons? Forged or cast or eutectic?

Whats the piston to wall and measured cyl taper?

Whats your typ high oil temp?

If not too high or sloppy an ACEA 30 grade A3 should do it.

You are likely giving away some power with the diesel 40 grade.

Last edited:
Hey guys more info.

Stock bottom end, *built* head. Cams, Rocker arm stoppers, valves and springs etc.

Oil temps are hard for me to gauge as I haven't put the car back on the road since the "big" turbo upgrade or the head work, I have a Greddy oil cooler I can install but I got it second hand and want to send it out to get cleaned first.

Apologies on not having more specific information.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vspec
Hey guys more info.

Stock bottom end, *built* head. Cams, Rocker arm stoppers, valves and springs etc.

Oil temps are hard for me to gauge as I haven't put the car back on the road since the "big" turbo upgrade or the head work, I have a Greddy oil cooler I can install but I got it second hand and want to send it out to get cleaned first.

I eventually went to forged internals with mine but ran with a stock bottom end like yours for years on a Garrett gt2871r turbo. If you are gonna do some track time your best bet would be to do as has been recommended and get an oil temp gauge and go from there making an oil choice. If it was mainly normal driving conditions the 0w40 Mobil 1 worked fine for me. Just curious, what engine management are you using for your?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubyRoo
Originally Posted By: Vspec
Hey guys more info.

I eventually went to forged internals with mine but ran with a stock bottom end like yours for years on a Garrett gt2871r turbo. If you are gonna do some track time your best bet would be to do as has been recommended and get an oil temp gauge and go from there making an oil choice. If it was mainly normal driving conditions the 0w40 Mobil 1 worked fine for me. Just curious, what engine management are you using for your?

RS-Enthalpy handled my tuning solution.

I used Motul 300V 10w/40 in my circa 400rwhp built sr20det, ran fine for the 7 or so years in this state of tune before selling it. I also ran a Greddy oil cooler with t-stat and normal driving, oil temps were about 10 degrees c higher than water temp. Also had a larger remote oil filter and larger Greddy sump with internal gates.

Don't see minus temps where I live though or very rarely but peak temps were similar to yours.

In a lower state of tune without oil cooler I ran Mobil 1 5w50 but had scuffing on the cams and finger followers - so I ditched Mobil 1 and switched to the Motul when I did the rebuild.

Last edited:
I've used Mobil 1 5w/50 in other cars I've tracked too and get nervous at the [censored] poor hot oil pressure at lower revs and idle at the track. Probably why Gm recommends Mobil 1 15w/50 in the Corvettes when tracked vs the 5w/30 on the street.

Last edited:
If you don’t want to shell out for Redline, find an A3/B4 Euro synthetic oil. Walmart carries three... M1, Castrol, Pennzoil. Little less than $5 a quart. Need to consider that 15W-50 has adverse effects like more friction (higher heat), slower turbo spool, and more wear on start up.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
If you don’t want to shell out for Redline, find an A3/B4 Euro synthetic oil. Walmart carries three... M1, Castrol, Pennzoil. Little less than $5 a quart. Need to consider that 15W-50 has adverse effects like more friction (higher heat), slower turbo spool, and more wear on start up.

Don't get impatient you'll find a 5 quart Jug for under $23.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back