Great experience with Discount Tire today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their parent/associated company Discount Tire Direct had a big sale last Halloween (Oct 2017) and I was able to get a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3s for around $120 shipped/ea.

Had the local DT put them on today. I generally keep my vehicle clean and detailed, so I think the manager noticed. They called me out to the shop floor a few times to let me know about any scratches or cosmetic issues on the wheels that were either already present, or that would occur from the mounting process. (unfortunately the OEM clip-on weights did leave chips in the alloys upon removal, so DT used stick on weights on the inner drum to balance)

I was really quite pleased with how transparent they were with the whole ordeal, and I noticed that other customers got equally transparent service on their vehicles.

The new tires are pretty nice, but my eyes need time to adjust because they look too flashy. Ride quality seems about the same, and 'steering weight' hasn't changed from the OEM BFGoodrich Rugged Trails.

With the rest DT praise threads, I can't hold it in anymore so I apologize. (If you were a co-worker, you'd hear the same thing from me.)

Not a huge fan of them and it'll be hard to use them again even with the $100 MIR. Their high hourly quota requirements yield very sloppy work. Failing to follow customer instruction, negligence and simply not caring.

Even after calling, they still didn't make it 100% right for me.

Last edited:
They installed my 2nd set of Ohtsu FP7000 tires for me last summer. In and out quick and the best prices. Only place I am going from now on when I need tires. I was treated right.

The Discount Tire by me is not so good. Last time I went for a rotation the guy spun the tires coming out of the bay. Then I found he didn't even tie the spare down after putting it in the well of my Jeep. I wasn't happy. If you are going to do a job, Do it right!

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
With the rest DT praise threads, I can't hold it in anymore so I apologize. (If you were a co-worker, you'd hear the same thing from me.)

Not a huge fan of them and it'll be hard to use them again even with the $100 MIR. Their high hourly quota requirements yield very sloppy work. Failing to follow customer instruction, negligence and simply not caring.

Even after calling, they still didn't make it 100% right for me.

I imagine it varies by location. I deliberately schedule my appointments at slow times (mid afternoon, mid week) so that the techs aren't rushed. Doesn't matter the industry or the job -- rushing means a loss in quality/attention to detail.

I'd bet that a lot of the bad tire install experiences come from people who go on a weekend or right near closing (like that other guy in the complaint thread).

They're usually good for me, but last summer I took in a wheel to a family member's 2016 Avalon, the car had about 7k miles on it and had a nail in the tire. I dropped it off and picked it up the next day. They carried it out to my Jeep and I noticed the wheel was absolutely filthy, the guy said that's grease from the machine "so it doesn't scratch the wheel". I then grabbed a rag and wiped it off and found a scratch in the wheel that took the clear coat off. I told the guy that this is to a brand new car, and not even a cheapo car at that and he didn't have anything to say for a while. Finally he said they can send the wheel out to get repainted. I told him it probably wouldn't match the other wheels, and could peel or fade differently in years to come. I was so mad I just got in and drove away.

Long time DT customer but higher employee turnover and declining service at my local DT.

^^ There (most of it) is.^^

At semi-skilled jobs the idea is to spit on employees because paying them low wages isn't enough.

And yes, maybe a high percentage of "tire changers" are meth heads and/or just plain stupid.

A joint near me was a chain of 9 stores. I watched them sputter away to zero.

I did buy a set of 4 tires for a healtyh price and got good service as they did some tire swapping as part of the deal.

'Twas a corner location. I could see the employees rotate out. Local people MUST communicate over local tradespeople.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Only place I'll go for tires, I've always been happy with them.

Since they came to the area and I purchased my first set in 2004, Yoko Avid Touring for a Civic, also my experience. Haven't given me a reason to buy tires elsewhere. And service after the sale including tire treadwear warranty fulfillment always been excellent ime.

Just got back from DT. Pulled in at 8am for a rotate/balance, pulled out at 8.20am. Sat on a stool and watched 2 guys do a nice job. I had a problem when these tires were put on early summer but they took care of it without hesitation.

When we moved here I did business with a longtime local tire shop buying several sets of tires there. The counter guys assume everyone walking in the door knows nothing about tires and disrespected my wife so badly when she took her work truck in she told her supervisor she'd never go back. I gave DT a try on the next set of tires and have no reason to go anywhere else. Bad service can happen anywhere though I bet it's not common at DTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back