Fram Ultra XG9018 C&P - 10,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit, I have been a bit nervous trying out the FU in the cartridge style. Some results posted of this same filter here don't show great results. Curiosity got the best of me and I decided on trying the FU for my DD, an 07 Cobalt. I plan on running the filter for two 9k-ish intervals, or however long until I decide I get the itch (hey, i just enjoy wrenching on a car). This particular filter was run with M1 EP. Another XG9018 went in with PPPP 5W-30.

Prior to this filter I was running standard WIX filters, of which were coming out very twisted/distorted. I was very surprised to see the FU come out in such good shape. Uneventful is good.

Last edited:
An example of working well for your application. The wire mess backing is the key to preventing the distortion you noted in the WIX.

The wire backing definitely helped prevent the buckling you normally see
smile.gif

Wix does make a wire-backed synthetic filter of their own, in the Wix XP/Napa Platinum

What kind of OCI was suggested by your OLM?

Some these filters have a center tube that runs the full length from top to bottom, others stop short and only the paper medial holds the end caps together. I ran an ultra 20,000 miles in my ecotec and it held together well but I found carbon build up in the pleats and near the end caps. A little to long for my engine.

Our little red Chevy Sonic uses a cartridge filter . Never seen any problems with them when I remover & replaced them , at oil / filter change .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back