Replaced axle on the 2007 Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My normal OCI is 10K but I normally slide under the car at between 4-6K for an inspection. Last Sunday I did that and for the first time found a boot slinging grease. When I was younger I would do the job myself but not these days. I had a garage replace it(the axle) for me at a fair price. Passenger side.

Had that happen on my '15 Cherokee. Also had it happen on my LR3. Also had it happen on my Liberty. The Liberty and LR3 were likely from a stick or something puncturing it off road.

No idea what caused this but the car is 11 years old and has 220K. This is actually the first boot I have ever had to tear.

I had a Taurus where I replaced the left axle 3 times. The right was OEM and lasted the life the car. Did you use OEM? I used a cheap chinese made one and I'm not sure if it was because the boot was a low quality or if the bad motor mounts on that side caused them to rip earlier.

You would think running the M1 would have prevented the problem
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
You would think running the M1 would have prevented the problem
grin.gif

He would have to apply it to boot for it to work.
smile.gif

I had a 93 Sentra and had 3 boots rip in the 100k miles I had it. Seemed to be part of the car design.

I did the same with my previous VW and it vibrated pretty bad at 2k RPMs, pretty common with aftermarket axles.

In the future I will only have the CV boots replaced. I asked my mechanic and it would have been about the same price.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Did the recent cold snap affect your area? That may have caused it somehow.

I wondered that myself. We had several days below 0F and several more under 10F.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What brand did you end up using?

I have no idea, but the axle has a 3 year warranty, labor 1 year.

Agree on OEM. I replaced one on my son's car due to a collision with curb on ice (along with other suspension parts). Got a (Chinese) lifetime warranty Duralast halfshaft from AZ. Transaxle seal (which I had replaced, just because), seeped slightly afterwards. Most people (prob not here) would have let it be, as it wasn't really dripping but rather slowly oiling the underside of car. Over the following year I replaced that transaxle seal 3 times, all to no avail. Took it to a garage I know, just to have a warranty and be done with it. They, knowing me and also knowing the issues, wouldn't repair it, guessing there was internal trans bushing damage. I went as far as to put another low mileage transaxle in the car, only to no avail. Problem ended up being the Chinese AZ Duralast part was machined a fraction too small where it fit in stub shaft. Allowed just enough movement to not seal. Salvage yard GM halfshaft completely stopped seep. Good luck.

I have replaced boots and I have replaced half shafts .

Guess I never put enough miles on the car , afterwards , to have any further failures .

I have read , as long as the boot stays intact , keeps the grease in and dirt / mud / water out , the CV joint will last for a VERY long time .

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
I have replaced boots and I have replaced half shafts .

Guess I never put enough miles on the car , afterwards , to have any further failures .

I have read , as long as the boot stays intact , keeps the grease in and dirt / mud / water out , the CV joint will last for a VERY long time .

They will last a long time. The axle has been fine except for the boot tear. If no tear I'm sure the CV bearings would be fine for many more thousands of miles.

I've used Napa reman ones before with no issues, no vibrations at all. They throw out non OEM cores, so the dimensions are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back