Who does lug centric balancing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from discount tire and told them not to balance the trailer tire if they can't balance them by the lugs. He goes oh no we got rid of those a while back, we only use the cone now. I guess it's just a matter of finding a shop that has the attachment?

Should not be too hard to find. As far as I know Toyota Truck wheels are all lug centric. So very common.

I think I saw my Costco has the lug centric adapters. I would call around.

We had them when I worked at Sears. They weren't used very often as it took too long to setup and we were pressured by management to work faster.

They are called pin-plate adapters, and I use them on every wheel. Hub, or lug centric.

Why does it matter? They probably have 100+ cars a day going through their shop using the balancer like that. Probably good enough for a trailer tire.

It matters as the center bore on lug centric trailer wheels doesn't get a lot of attention as it isn't that important. If it isn't perfectly centered (and I mean by just a little), it doesn't matter since the center hole just needs to be big enough to clear the hub... But try to balance it that way, and it makes a difference. Lots of junk in the trailer world...

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
It matters as the center bore on lug centric trailer wheels doesn't get a lot of attention as it isn't that important. If it isn't perfectly centered (and I mean by just a little), it doesn't matter since the center hole just needs to be big enough to clear the hub... But try to balance it that way, and it makes a difference. Lots of junk in the trailer world...

On the other hand, most trailer tires are so far out of balance, the center of a steel wheel is good enough. Aluminum wheels, with balanced tires are the way to go. I've seen more than a few trailers hopping down the road.

Anybody who has a Hunter Balancing Machine can do that.

You can check their website for locations of their machines.

Every shop has a hunter tire balancer and alignment rack typically. It's a question of do they have the $500 attachment for the machine.

didn't even know they made such a thing. Never ever saw any shops in the area with an attachment like that and when i worked in a service shop we only had the cones with every balancer we had both coats and hunter

Some Citroen cars didn't have center holes in their road wheels, so a lug centric balancer adapter is needed.
Mount your trailer wheels on a cone and spin it by hand to see how off center it might be. I'd guess in 99% of cases it will be as good as any car wheel.

Claud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back