What is THE BEST oil filter on the market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The high quality build and efficiency level of the Wix XP line seems to just be a longer oci version of the the regular black Wix/NAPA Gold oil filters: with filtering that leans more towards durability and high flow, rather than highest filtering efficiency, similar to the cartridge oil filters from Mann-Hummel, the current parent company. What do you think?

What do I think?

I think we, as a group, should purchase a few XP filters, pitch in some money for each person, and send them down to SWRI for a few tests! But that would take all the fun out of guessing, and supplant it with actual KNOWLEDGE. Where be the fun in that?
21.gif
I think too many BITOGers would get their feelings hurt if actual facts and data were known.

Think about it. We've got more than 50,000 members. If each just pitched in $5 each, we'd have a quarter-million dollars for testing some filters.

Alas, it's a dream world in that regard. Most here would be forced to face the inequity of their own filter bigotry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I think we, as a group, should purchase a few XP filters, pitch in some money for each person, and send them down to SWRI for a few tests! But that would take all the fun out of guessing, and supplant it with actual KNOWLEDGE. Where be the fun in that?
21.gif
I think too many BITOGers would get their feelings hurt if actual facts and data were known.

Think about it. We've got more than 50,000 members. If each just pitched in $5 each, we'd have a quarter-million dollars for testing some filters.

I’ll go in for ten and a filter.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

For $250,000 you could buy your own ISO 4548-12 test bench - in turn key configuration.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Donaldson Synteq

Close second: Fram XG series

Concur.

If money were no object a Donaldson P169071 would be what I'd use.

But it is, so I use a FU and sleep well at night.

Anything not made by Purolator...

I do agree with dnewton3 for the most part. There is no "best" overall.
All the top tier filters have their pros and cons. Even the lower end filters have pros and cons.

Any filter that does not have a failure within the expected OCI is the "best" IMO.

We get all caught up in ratings and such, but as said above, an good air filter will help reduce the need for a high efficient oil filter.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Fram Orange Can O' Deliciousness.

Happy Birthday!

OEM or Ultra because that is what I have in stock.

Thanks brother!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Fram Orange Can O' Deliciousness.

Happy Birthday!

OEM or Ultra because that is what I have in stock.

Thanks brother!
cheers3.gif

Yes, Happy Birthday !!

Originally Posted By: Motorking
excellent answer and very correct

Thank you, Jay! I used to be one of the biased Fram haters before I joined this site. And even then it took a long time to convince me, but, after all that and seeing the stellar results posted here, I am a believer in all your filters, not just the Ultra! Have an OCOD on my 7.3 Powerstroke, an Ultra on my Kubota diesel tractor, Ultra on my Tacoma, and a small stash of TG's and one extra Ultra for it since it sees the most oil changes out of all my vehicles.
This spring, my Mach 1 will be getting a change up to Ultra and likely be ran 2 years. Car sees less than 500 miles a year, but it only gets the best! Aching to get the Motorcraft filter off it that's been in place since the second oil change (new engine) before I knew of their little tearing issue. The rest of my old Ford trucks are probably going to get either orange cans or TG's, depending on what's on sale. They get yearly changes regardless of mileage.

Wix xp / Mobil 1 for everything I own. Family own . Friends own . My whole cars club using wix . itchy to try the purolator THE BOSS .

MetalSlug
It looks like the WIX XP and Purolator Boss are similar in performance and efficiency. I just picked up an STP Maximum Life at AutoZone and they appear to be rebranded Purolator Boss filters. I think most of these synthetic oil filters are designed for use with extended oil change intervals.

Exactly right MParr. The STP Max filter is exactly what you are saying. I just took a older version of a STP XL of my lady's Camry yesterday. It was full of oil which is significant due to it's orientation.

bbhero
While at AutoZone and looking over their filters, I discovered something else. The STP Extended Life(XL) that fits my KIA is the same filter as the Purolator One although, it’s made in China.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Wix xp / Mobil 1 for everything I own. Family own . Friends own . My whole cars club using wix . itchy to try the purolator THE BOSS .

You should be worrying more about that inefficient air filter on your Cobra. It's causing more engine wear, and even running a more efficient oil filter will help offset that bad air filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back