Good Experience at Batteries+Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wifes Malibu needed a new battery. After reading here and doing some other research I decided to get an EastPenn/Deka made replacement.

After making some calls I chose to buy from Batteries+Bulbs. (Duracell Brand) I used the "Order Online Pick-up in Store" in order to get 10% off. With the discount the Battery cost me $120.00 "out the door" with taxes. Plus they installed it. I watched the guy do it. He was very good. In and out in 15 minutes. Plus the Battery had a date code sticker of 01/18.

I wanted to share this good experience.

Thanks for posting about your positive experience with Batteries + Bulbs.

My local Sam's Club store also sells those Duracell brand batteries manufactured by EastPenn/Deka. I've had good luck with them, and I'm always surprised by how "fresh" the batteries are. They must use a just-in-time inventory management system.

Originally Posted By: Milkman
24 Month Free Replacement Only warranty. 600 CCA

I have never had an East Penn/ Deka battery last less than 5 years.

I have had similar experiences with Interstate in the past.

Originally Posted By: Milkman
My wifes Malibu needed a new battery. After reading here and doing some other research I decided to get an EastPenn/Deka made replacement.

After making some calls I chose to buy from Batteries+Bulbs. (Duracell Brand) I used the "Order Online Pick-up in Store" in order to get 10% off. With the discount the Battery cost me $120.00 "out the door" with taxes. Plus they installed it. I watched the guy do it. He was very good. In and out in 15 minutes. Plus the Battery had a date code sticker of 01/18.

I wanted to share this good experience.
Shame you don't have Meijer up there, they run $ off promotions about 4 times a year-that's the time I buy the East Penn made Platinum ones (36 month replacement warranty).

Good post. Actually very good.

Batteries Plus does really rather well on price and quality with East Penn and Northstar. I like anything made here and that is very good quality.

Good to hear.

I will be buying my mom a new battery come this spring.
Her 4 year old NAPA (DEKA made) battery is still going strong (12.5 v after sitting for a week unused, 10.4v while starting).
With 4 years being the normal battery life down here, I just don't want to have to worry about it.

I was debating getting an Everstart Maxx, but the Batteries + price for a Duracell Gold is only ~$20 more than the Everstart.
I think a better made (and USA made) battery is the better option in this case.
That replacement should last for the rest of the time she has the vehicle.
Her '07 Saturn Vue still runs well, but she will probably quit driving in the next 2-3 years due to health/vision concerns.

Originally Posted By: Exit32
Thanks for posting about your positive experience with Batteries + Bulbs.

My local Sam's Club store also sells those Duracell brand batteries manufactured by EastPenn/Deka. I've had good luck with them, and I'm always surprised by how "fresh" the batteries are. They must use a just-in-time inventory management system.

I just installed a Deka in my wife's Honda Civic. The best price I found was strangely enough from Lowe's, which had it under the "farm equipment" category. It had to be ordered and sent to a store for pickup, or they would also deliver it for an $80 local delivery charge.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=deka

The only ones for cars seem to be Groups 26, 51, and 45 - since Deka part numbers are something like 5XXMF where the group number is integrated into the part number.

The experience at Lowe's was rather interesting. I doubt they get a lot of people ordering car batteries. My order included the standard state fees, but they wouldn't take my used battery to refund the core deposit. I sent a message to Lowe's corporate and a store manager later called and said they had refunded the core fee without an actual return. I'm just going to drop it off at a local recycling center that takes car batteries.

I probably got about a fresh a battery as anyone could get. My order was 2/1. I got several phone messages including that it was in process and then ready for pick up on 2/8 (estimate was 2/14) and I picked it up the next day. The date sticker said 02/18. I think they don't actually stock them but order them straight from the manufacturer.

I decided to drop into the closest one out of sheer curiosity, even though I don't need a new battery. They had two levels of the Duracell-labelled East Penn battery in the Group 51 size needed for my wife's Civic. I wasn't sure how different they were, but one was $120 and the other was $132 I think. The one employee there said the warranty was different (2 vs 3 year full replacement) and the more expensive version had an additional prorated warranty period.

And they were sold out (both models) even though their website said that the Group 51 was in stock at this store. The employee said they sell a lot of those Group 51s in our area. I looked at the date stickers, and there wasn't any one older than 01/18. Most said 02/18.

Anyone know if they maintain the batteries in the store? That would be a really easy thing to do, but I know most places that sell lead-acid batteries don't. I think Battery Tender has one that can charge 10 at a time. About the closest I can think of is Interstate's rotation policy, although I'm not sure if they just slap a new date sticker on once they put it back on a shelf.

Batteries/Bulbs around here typically runs a coupon in the monthly mailer for $50 off key cutting service.

They end up being the cheapest game in town for getting an extra chip key made for your car.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
I'm just going to drop it off at a local recycling center that takes car batteries.

Take it to an O'Reillys for a $10 gift card. Some other auto parts stores are similar. Get something for free.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
I'm just going to drop it off at a local recycling center that takes car batteries.

Take it to an O'Reillys for a $10 gift card. Some other auto parts stores are similar. Get something for free.

Too late now. I was just happy to get my $7 core deposit back.

Yeah they're great. The associate who installed my battery was very professional.

If this East Penn Duracell doesn't look like a chia pet in a couple of years like my JCI batteries do, Batteries Plus has a new lifelong customer.

Last edited:
Good good question y_p_w... I hope they do charge third batteries... That would be very wise on their part to do.

Good to hear. I didn't know Duracell was EastPenn/Deka. I'll consider them for future battery purchases. I like to buy stuff made in my home state. I'd go to the factory store, but it's a bit far.

For the same price as their stand battery I can get an AGM Exide battery at Rural King. So not sure which one to get. Prob the AGM to be honest. Both stores are nearby.

Holy cow you were not playing around... You know that group 35 battery weighs over 46 lbs!!! Weighs more than 10 lbs more than a typical group 35 battery. This battery is made by Northstar... A real deal battery that is tough as they come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back