non vw spec oil changes for 2.5 passat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
background: my 64k mile 2013 passat has the old non turbo 2.5 liter, 5 cylinder, non turbo engine, which i like. just after going over its cpo warranty i had to spend $500 and three long trips to the dealer to fix a cel issue involving a cai valve. while there i wandered over to the sales floor and looked around. i was offered a lowball $5700 as trade in value, and combined with the dealership’s “easy, stress free, no haggle” actually high car sales prices, convinced me to keep my otherwise fine passat for awhile. i have religiously serviced my passat at this dealership. and i realize that a trade in will always be worth less than how the owner values it, especially an older passat.

question: with this non turbo engine am i wedded to vw spec oil changes? im kinda p.o.’d at the dealership now with its high prices, and treatment like an off the street schmuck. in other words what are my options for high quality non vw spec oil grades and makes, and intervals, typically available outside of a vw dealership? i am not in a position to change oil myself. im not looking to cheap out but i am looking for other reasonable oil options at either 5k or the usual 10k intervals.

caveat: this is the only vw dealership nearby, i have been to the next further one and it deserves its an unstelllar reputation. there are a couple of independent vw mechanics around but they look like junkyards.

thanks in advance for your suggestions. and if there are no non vw options, so be it, please just let me know what you think.

You dont have to buy "VW spec" oil at the dealer.

Plenty of other oils meet your engine requirements.

M1 website had this to say
Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 5W-30 or 5W-40 viscosity and oil that meets VW 502 00, VW 503 00 or VW 504 00. A 0W-40 viscosity can also be used. Your engine oil capacity is approximately 6.3 quarts. We offer these motor oils to help protect your vehicle. The recommended oil filter is M1C-451/M1C-451A.

They recommend M1 0w40 "european car formula" (almost every walmart has this I think)

or m1 5w30 ESP (never seen here)

For example the 0w40 is around 23$ for 5 quarts.
https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-120760-Synt...ords=mobil+0w40

Originally Posted By: jstert
question: with this non turbo engine am i wedded to vw spec oil changes?

in other words what are my options for high quality non vw spec oil grades and makes, and intervals, typically available outside of a vw dealership?

While I'd think you'd be OK to run non-VW spec oil in this particular engine, I don't really see a reason why you'd want to. Go to your local Walmart, and you'll find that an oil that carries the required VW 502.00 spec does not cost any more than any other high quality oil. Examples: M1 0w-40, Castrol Edge 0w-40, Pennzoil Euro 0w-40.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
While I'd think you'd be OK to run non-VW spec oil in this particular engine, I don't really see a reason why you'd want to. Go to your local Walmart, and you'll find that an oil that carries the required VW 502.00 spec does not cost any more than any other high quality oil. Examples: M1 0w-40, Castrol Edge 0w-40, Pennzoil Euro 0w-40.

Exactly, there are more choices of 502.00 oils than LL-01 ones for example. Very easily available and cheaply priced especially if there is a rebate.

And if one is not in a position to change your own oil, most places (including Walmart and indy mechs) will use your own oil and filter and charge you for labor only. My daughter does it all the time for her Accord, she buys the oil at Walmart and for a reasonable fee they change her oil.

Most oil change facilities should have a VW 502 approved oil that can be used for up to 10k miles, but some of oil change places will see that a 5W-30 viscosity synthetic oil is ok and just use whatever 5W-30 syn oil they have on the shelf, even if it does not meet VW 502. I would not run the non-VW 502 oils to 10k miles.

It's the oil filter quality I would be most concerned about. I would personally use a Mann-Hummel HU-7196x or an OEM VW filter, knowing I am using a quality oil filter capable of going 10k miles. Some aftermarket cartridge oil filters are prone to deform in service after only a few thousand miles. Wix cartridge filters for German cars are decent, but I still prefer one of the German brands if possible, knowing the durability is there.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
re: not being able to do an oil change:
-top of engine using an oil extractor (The Mercedes Benz way....)

Yeah, but on this engine you still need to crawl under the car to replace the filter.

Yeah, but on this engine you still need to crawl under the car to replace the filter.

Really? Why would VW have done that. Loved doing topside oil changes on my 1.9L TDI (well, "loved" might not be the right term, but it sure was easy).

I know little about VW's . However , changing oil is not rocket science ( providing the last guy did not over tighten the drain plug ! :-( ) .

Are you able to drain the oil your self ?

How much has VW been charging you for an oil / filter change ?

I am old school . With conventional oil , every 3000 miles . With synthetic , at 50% on the Oil Life Monitor .

Best of luck to you , :)

Find a nice local shop on Yelp and carry in a jug of oil from Walmart and a filter. When I had a VW I liked buying a couple at a time at the dealer.

I used to mailorder oil&filters for my TDI, didn't care about cost. As pointed out, a number of over the counter oils can be used, so if I had a gasser VW I'd mail order just filters and buy oil at Walmart. [On my Toyota's its like $40 for 10 OEM filters.]

You can run non-spec oil in your car, but a good 502 oil+filter for your car should only hit you for $35 MAX.

A good 5W-30 or 10W-40 would be fine but I would cut oil changes to 5k - you could leave the filter change at 10k.

Likely two conventional changes and one filter would cost you more.

Originally Posted By: supton

Really? Why would VW have done that.

No idea. I guess this engine wasn't designed to be serviced from the top.

Fast forward to 6 minute mark:

But "stealth" changes come closer to be quick and doable...
also the mess from about 1/2quart of oil in the oil filter is quicker to contain/achieve
I assume OP lives in a building apartment/condo.

and will benefit his Yaris too.

QP, Thank you for the video.
Does anybody know if the filter quality warrants to be able to change it every other oil change?

QP, Thank you for the video.
Does anybody know if the filter quality warrants to be able to change it every other oil change?
On our college/hand me down/family 07 Beetle w/2.5 I change oil every 5,000 miles...Mann, OEM, Hengst or Fram Ultra. Mostly 0-40 M1 or Castrol. Some 5W40 Castrol and Valvoline Even have used 0W30 Castrol. 135,000 miles and going strong. No oil added in 5,000 OCI Do it yourself I recommend the tube that connects to the bottom of the oil filter housing...Drains oil out making filter change easier and much cleaner.

You can use any oil you find that says A3/B4 and 0w40 on the back. All the 0w40 oils I've ever seen are quality.
----I agree with those above that say you can tell them at walmart what oil off the shelf to buy and put in.
Fram Ultra oil filters are also at walmart.
----Otherwise, any Audi or Porsche or BMW dealership has a very good 0w40 and filter for you.
----I would even consider a Chrsyler or Dodge dealership Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 oil (Mopar re-branded maybe) if you brought your own Walmart Fram Ultra oil filter, as that 0w40 is one they put in their SRT high-performance engines and will work great in a VW too.
--- Jiffy Lube and other quickie lube places like that probably have the right euro-spec 0w40 or at least 5w40 oil & filter for you.

I know a guy at work who was bragging about the output of his 2.5slow VW.
I told him that our Honda 2.4 and both Subaru 2.5s made more power than his VW.
The VW five cylinder is a lot like the older 2.slow in that it doesn't actually need the VAG spec oils called for.
Were it my car, I'd do 6-7K drains on any 5W-30 syn and call it a day.
You can use an oil that complies with the OM cheaply if you buy M1 0W-40 during one of the Mobil MIRs which typically come in the spring and fall of each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back