Advertising budgets for Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever wonder what the advertising budgets are for motor oil manufacturers. It’s humongous.
Tell us about your favorite non advertised synthetic motor oil such as those with the parts store names. You’re probably saving a lot of money.

SF

Last edited:
I like the pricing, but they advertise, sometimes as part of the Mobil brand in general, and not cheaply. Mobil Delvac 1 LE was advertised and used as the lube for the McLaren F1 team's truck fleet (until Mobil and Esso switched to Red Bull), and McLaren wasn't buying the oil, to say the least.

Well.... Smitty's Super S is actually a very good oil that I ran in my Altima 3.5.

Warren Oil SAE 30 grade I ran in the lady's Camry last summer was quite good has well.

I may well run some Cam2 in her car for it's next run.

And I liked the Warren Oil Lubrigold 5w30 Dexos approved oil in my Altima 3.5.

None of these have any major advertising that I've seen. But they are quite good oils available at rather good prices.

Well in Canada we pay a premium on just about any oil so I was happy to find the local parts store selling "Everest" synthetic blend for $11 / 5 quarts and their full synthetic for $20 /5 quarts. Made by US GLOBAL petroleum. No fancy specs on them, just SAE SN. Price is right and it seems to work.

Has anyone experienced or even just heard of an oil related failure from Super Tech or Coastal or any other Brand X oil ? Yah there are some bad oils out there, but a careful read of the bottle will usually reveal it.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Has anyone experienced or even just heard of an oil related failure from Super Tech or Coastal or any other Brand X oil ? Yah there are some bad oils out there, but a careful read of the bottle will usually reveal it.

I think we've moved beyond the age of "engine failure" when it comes to motor oil. I believe that now we can determine the quality of oil by the longevity of the parts lubricated within the engine. I'm not saying that the oils mentioned don't protect as well as another brand, but that good oil and proper maintenance may prevent things such as pitting on the cam lobes, stretched chains, carbon buildup, etc.

When I run out of my stash of name brand oils (Chevron Supreme, Valvoline SynPower MaxLife, Castrol Magnatec) I'm going to be switching back to O'Reilly house brand oils. Sure I can hunt around for good deals on "name brands" but it's easier just to grab oil off the shelf when I need it, get the employee discount, and move on in life. When I had my 92 Chevy 1500 with a flat tappet cam I was picky and switched to Royal Purple HPS for more ZDDP but neither my Escape nor my Suburban are picky and I'm sure O'Reilly Full Synthetic will be fine for a long time. Still going to use the Wix filters even though I have like a bin full of MicroGards.

I just don't like paying for the advertising to buy something like Valvoline/Castrol/etc for simple, naturally aspirated, non-direct-injection engines in my vehicles. For a "regular" vehicle with "regular" OCIs the only difference is the sticker on the bottle.

If I had a BMW or something of course I'd have to use BMW-spec oil like Castrol Edge or something.

Last edited:
I never saved any money on SuperTech, they never have huge sales when the other brands do the label swap or spec changes, or new fancy type of oil that does this and that, and then flopped and close out.

What they pay for advertising has nothing to do with what I'll pay, and non advertised oil is not really any cheaper as they don't go on sale.

Good thread

May I ask...?

Whadahyew think the prices of beer and cars would be without all their advertising?

I know I'll be condemned for espousing "hippie economics" but you must agree that car and beer advertising are now just another societal wallpaper.

It's everywhere all the time. It HAS to be ineffective.

OK, a list of inventory and specials offered is useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back