Are you tire brand loyal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used BITOG as a good mark for starting the research, then the reviews from tirerack, treadepot, tire-easy and many mentioned on various threads.

Then went with the reasonable choice, but not the cheapest.

Also used local chains before BITOG, but I was less informed and with less money in my pocket....

The only consistent firm was Cooper (3 sets on 3 different vehicles)

But I would say I'm not brand loyal.

I used to really like michelins and and stayed with them for decades, but a few years back the type I wanted was out of stock so I went with Cooper CS5 and really like them alot. they seem do last and last and are a bit cheaper in price. I have went with Cooper CS5 from April to November go with General Altimax from Nov to April as my go to winter tires. But when they wear out I will likely go with a cheaper brand like Wall Mart Douglas since being retired our vehicles rarely travel more than a 100 miles from Lincoln. Tons of online reviews on tires at places like Tire rack, but like any review one has to take them with a grain of salt if not the whole shaker, so many factors of terrain , weather and driving conditions and driving styles to consider.

I've never been brand loyal for tires but I have to say I might be now. I am extremely pleased with the CS5 Grand Touring on my Buick and the AT3's on my GMC. We got 14 inches of some wet snow Monday and right now our streets are hard packed and I'm impressed with how both vehicles are handling it. The truck even does pretty good in 2 wheel drive with out any weight in the back, but I own it for the 4x4 so I use it.

Not particularly, but so far I've bought more sets of Firestones most than any other. Also shoulda bought them instead of the set of Uniroyals I bought last.

I don't buy cheap tires, but I also won't buy the most expensive. I've never had Firestone brand - not because of any aversion, just never came up as a valid option.

Used to like Yokohama's but then that soured with some poor wear experiences. Continental, Pirelli, Bridgestone Blizzaks and on occasion Canadian Tire 'Motomaster'
grin.gif
Any Canucks remember the CTC Whippet tires? Whippets were about as good and cheap as used tires :eek:)

Not really, although like some have stated I stay away from cheap Chinese. I do my homework before buying by reading ratings and reviews from various websites and soliciting opinions from friends, co-workers, etc. I know most any tire manufacturer has both good and bad models, but I do think Michelin makes the best tires overall.

Michelin since I purchased first set around 1972. I remember there was a lot of resistance in the USA to using radial tires because they looked under inflated at recommended pressure.

I've had polar opposite experiences within a brand. Never had a Chinese tire, couldn't tell you. Brand loyalty has nothing to do with a brand, and everything with the loyalist I believe. So, no.

I have very little brand loyalty for anything. Always look at reviews for specific item-- tires in this case. My personal experience within the Michelin family has been the reverse of the pricing level. I've done best with Uniroyal, then BFG, then Michelin. Would that make me favor either brand on my next purchase? No I'd again look at the ratings for individual tires from a variety of sources. I've never bought a Chinese brand, but not saying I wouldn't.

I guess i am loyal to Michelins. I have always had great luck with them. Seem to balance up good and wear good with no flats. I did have one set of Michelin Premiers on my civic that did not get to the posted mileage rating but were pro-rated on a new set. I've just had great experiences with them, log alot of miles so i'll stick with them.

In recent years I've developed a loyalty to Michelin, chiefly because of Costco and how they package their tire deals.

I'm not loyal to any brand for anything. I always have a few options. I will say I'll never have a set of Michelin's again though.

The Sonata has Kumho Solus TA11 tires on it. They're decent tires except kinda noisy. They came on the car when I bought it. Will put a similar tire back on it, probably not the same though.

Jeep has BFG All Terrains. Likely the new KO2's will be the next set. Cooper AT3s might be though.

Camry has General Altimax RT43's, it doesn't get driven, when I did drive it they were ok I guess. Bad handling but otherwise ok.

Right now, we have Michelin, General, Nokian, and Goodyear tires for our vehicles, and I picked them all.
My wife has actually learned to defer to me on tire choice for her car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back