HP vs. Dell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

In the market for a new computer. My 5 year old MacBook Air has lost it’s oomph and the small SSD is filled up. This time I’m going back to Windows and want to get a desktop. I’m considering HP and Dell (Costco has a good sale right now) and I’m looking for peoples experiences. So, what say you, HP vs. Dell. i3 vs. i5. I won’t be doing anything crazy like editing video. Just a good home tower. Thanks!

Dell for computers, HP for printers. I've never done it any other way.

I'm not against buying new, but I just bought a refurbished i5 Dell Optiplex 9010 (running Windows 10) for $109 (shipped free), and I've been plenty impressed with it.

A big box computer is a big box computer.

Five or so years ago my company liked Dell. Then it changed to HP. The HP computers that I've had in my tenure have been fine, so were my Dells.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Dell for computers, HP for printers. I've never done it any other way.

I'm not against buying new, but I just bought a refurbished i5 Dell Optiplex 9010 (running Windows 10) for $109 (shipped free), and I've been plenty impressed with it.

Same here on all counts.

Had both, I prefer Dell but if I find an HP that checks all the boxes I'll consider it. Either way, i5 is the way to go for the processor.

I prefer Dell. i5 will be fine for general use. Have a look at Dell's website before you buy. They have some deals once in a while.
Also check TigerDirect.

Personally I'd pick Dell, but make sure you compare them apple to apple in the same class. Stay away from HP printer and pick Brothers instead. HP screwed up their printers since the 2000s when Carly took over.

HP all the way. Been doing IT since the 90s and Dell is junk. We use them at work for desktops and even their business line is garbage. Lots of issues on both the desktop and laptop side of things. Luckily they are starting to branch out from the Dell junk. The previous HP laptop I had was a tank - the Latitude I have now is a hot mess. I'd use an Abacus before I spent my hard earned money on a Dell.

The Spectre x360 I got for personal use has been every bit as good as my previous string of Macs.

I'd skip the Intel CPUs and check out the Ryzen models. Lots of value for the $$ and a great CPU. I built a Ryzen 7 box at the end of last year and it's a beast.

Check this one out: https://www.costco.com/HP-Performance-Pa....100377698.html

Last edited:
HP. every dell I owned just died after a few years.
every HP I owned kept running until it could no longer keep up with modern technology, but it still tried!
The last two HP towers I got ran about 8 years each.
The dell lasted about 3 years and then refused to work at all.

I've built numerous computers over the past 25 years. My recommendation for a desktop, go to a computer store and have them build you one. Then as your beefs change, as the computer slows because of processor, they can upgrade it. A name brand computer can only be minimally upgraded.

Another option, search online for a computer show, go there and buy one from a fairly local store.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
I've built numerous computers over the past 25 years. My recommendation for a desktop, go to a computer store and have them build you one. Then as your beefs change, as the computer slows because of processor, they can upgrade it. A name brand computer can only be minimally upgraded.

This is a good route to go as well. Since the OP is in Ohio, he has access to one of the best computer stores, Micro Center. They have decent units (PowerSpec) that are pretty easy to upgrade. The OP may even want to give building on himself a try.

Quote:
Another option, search online for a computer show, go there and buy one from a fairly local store.

Are those even a thing any more? Been a very long time since I've seen ads for them.

We have been using a couple different models of HP laptops at work and the results have not been good. I still have my 4 year old laptop that is still (barely) hanging on but it is slow a molasses. Some of my coworkers are on their 4th laptop for various failures: motherboards, power supply, graphics and the like.

Pretty much any of the cheaper HP or Dell laptops will be a down grade in quality from your MacBook, although both companies offer higher end laptops that apparently are built to a higher standard.

BSW

Originally Posted By: Throt
Hey all,

In the market for a new computer. My 5 year old MacBook Air has lost it’s oomph and the small SSD is filled up. This time I’m going back to Windows and want to get a desktop. I’m considering HP and Dell (Costco has a good sale right now) and I’m looking for peoples experiences. So, what say you, HP vs. Dell. i3 vs. i5. I won’t be doing anything crazy like editing video. Just a good home tower. Thanks!

My wife and I are experienced computer users of the past 2 decades.
Im not really brand loyal to anyone but when reading your question, it made me think, so here is my answer. :eek:)

Currently we have 3 active desktops (on actual desks) and 2 laptops. 2 Dell, 2 HP and 1 old emachine that just wont quit and is used by my wife but she also works from home with a 1+ year old Dell business desktop machine provided by her company running two screens ya da ya da, all running Windows 10. I just retired my Lenovo A4 and replaced it with an HP.

Except for the Dell Business, none of them are high end machines, I would say middle of the road as I always knew, if your not gaming or extreme photo editing or building many websites the fastest machine will always be the one with the fastest internet connection. Meaning, its the internet connection more now then ever, not the computer.

Anyway My vote goes to HP. Im kind of a anti big company name person, hate buying into marketing cr*p.
Honestly nothing wrong with Dell either, I guess, just never been a big fan of them and I buy on specs and price, for that, I think HP beats Dell but I could be wrong, Im a little biased against Dell dont know why, maybe because my wife had another one years back, never much impressed me and she spent a lot of money on it.

My brand new desktop is an HP with an A12 processor by far fastest computer I ever had and we also have a 100 mbps internet connection that my wifes company pays for and that makes it nice and I feel I have getting the benefits of the connection with the new desktop.

Since I am a value shopper, Im not brand loyal but it just seems HPs offer the best combination of specs and price plus in this case with big name with support, meaning future firmware updates etc if your into that stuff their site makes it easy, as does Dell, Lenovo.

My wife and I are no longer Lenovo fans, they sell some some REALLY low priced stuff with the Lenovo name on it and its cheap garbage, you used to be able to trust the name but they will sell anything now.
I actually bought my wife a Lenovo Desk top on sale last year, returned it, it was [censored], SLOW, garbage to the point that her EMachine now about 7 years old was running Windows 10 faster then the Lenovo.

Anyway, HP or Dell, I think is like asking which oil is better but in this case based on your question I am in the HP camp for sure.

This is our latest computer, just purchased by my wife for me on Christmas, I love it, by far the most powerful computer I ever owned.
She got it on a holiday sale in Best Buy, paid $150 less then the price here (previous post I said 200, it was 150 less, she paid 399>
Here it is ... click

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
My brand new desktop is an HP with an A12 processor

Did that recent Windows security patch for Meltdown/Spectre give you any grief? I've seen people with AMD CPUs report BSODs after installing this patch.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
My brand new desktop is an HP with an A12 processor

Did that recent Windows security patch for Meltdown/Spectre give you any grief? I've seen people with AMD CPUs report BSODs after installing this patch.

Excellent question, one I thought about a few weeks back and forgot all about, to the point I have not followed it in the news. I believe Microsoft stopped the updating until a fix was done.

Anyway (boy I always type LONG messages)
When I heard about security issues in the Intel Chips I was thrilled that I am kind of, sort of, but not exactly a AMD guy. (more on that later)
Anyway, it was a cool feeling know that AMD is not affected by the security issues of the Intel Chips, I understand, new Intel Chips are ok.

Anyway, again, if I understand correctly even the Windows fix to the Intel Chips security issues (which affected I guess a limited amount of AMD chips) is only a patch and if I understand correctly this patch can not be called an "iron clad" fix, meaning, some have said the only way to be sure, is get a new computer with the newest late version Intel chips or of course an AMD.

now to answer your question, no, no issues on our 3 desktop computers running AMD chips and Windows 10 which we know updates automatically, 1 of these three were just replaced with my new A12.
So that is three desktops running AMDs and Windows 10, zero issues.

1. computer is my wife old (6 years old?) Emachines Destop with a AMD Athlon II chip. This computer amazes me, still runs great even with Windows 10.

2. computer is my Lenovo destop with a AMD A4 (exactly 4 years old) running Windows 10 Loved this computer but just replaced it with the following simply because of our higher speed internet now and wanted something more snappy when running multiple windows, photo editing etc and while I was at it a AC wifi card to take advantage of the higher 5ghz frequency.. Im still using this computer, next to my desk to move files ect onto the new one below ...

3. computer is a HP AMD A12 running Windows 10 this is my new one and replaced the Lenovo, loving the HP, very snappy, uses my 5ghz frequency on my router and seems wifi card is a bit stronger too. Some of my computing is administering 8 websites and I also enjoy photography, so that little but more speed is kind of cool as with the new cameras and large files, its noticeable.
I did post a link to this newest computer, I did forget to mention I got it as a present but I did return the first one, case has 3 fans in it and its not the most robust case but there was a small vibration and just did not like the sound of it, I dont think it was the computer, I think it was the case with zero isolation for the hard drive and I am certain the vibration was coming from the hard drive, anyway, god bless Best Buy, something to be said about having a local store, normally everything we buy now is on the internet but this year Best Buy was very competitive and we bought a fair amount of stuff from them anyway brought it back, no problem, got a brand new one. New one is fine and best Buy employees were GREAT.

Last and final we have 2 laptops running intel chips, one an HP and one a Dell, smaller notebook style 11+ inch touch screens when we dont want to go to the second floor office, also up here my wife has a work computer supplied by her company, Dell business desk top with an Intel I5 ..

Computers have come a long way since the beginning of Windows in the early 90s, Im surprised how trouble free they all are. The endless Windows updates drive me crazy though.

Last edited:
Buy from the dell outlet business section, many of those offerings include 3 or 4 year on site warranty for no additional charge.

If you buy a home computer you are going to get a one year mail in warranty only to send the unit back to the depot.

I'd go dell.

I only deal with HP support for printers and they have been no-bueno.

Hey all,

Thanks for all the responses! I spent a TON of time doing research and I couldn't find a Dell or HP that offered what I wanted for what I was willing to pay. So, I ordered the parts to build it myself. Did this a ton back in high school and things haven't changed THAT much since 2010 so I think I can still get the job done.

ASRock Z370 SLI/AC Mobo
8GB Crucial DDR4 2400 (eventually going to up to 16)
Intel Core i3 i-8100 8th Gen Quad-Core 3.6GHz
Kingston 120GB SSD (For OS/Programs)
WD 1TB Internal HDD for storage
Rosewill Case
Corsair CX500 500W PS
Arctic Silver 5
2.5" to 3.5" SSD to HDD adapter for internal bays

For less than $600. Later on I want to add some more ram and get a large SSD for storage and do away with the HDD altogether. But for now, this will do!

Last edited:
Much better to build yourself rather than have someone build for you. Satisfaction and knowing what you got are my reasons.

It's not changed. I built my own Ryzen 7 system after a 15 year break (owned Macs) and it's much the same as I remembered but less little jumpers to set. Of course now it's windowed cases and LED's but the basics are the same.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Where is the OS cost?

Needlesstosay, you should consider one that can be legally procured for $0

If you have an old Win 7 license that was upgraded to Win 10 MS will let you activate it for a new machine. I had an upgraded license in my MS account that MS activated for my self build. I figure if MS will activate it on totally different hardware (it was a VM before on Intel now it's real on AMD) it's all good.

Or you can run any of the fine Linux distros.

Point is there are plenty of legal ways to get a $0 cost OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back