2003 Civic Oil Burning Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I opened this thread sometime ago: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4411189#Post4411189

We tried using M10W40, STP Oil treatment(which reduced oil consumption), replaced PCV valve, although old one was fine.

Car is still consuming oil say a quart in 500-750 miles, without any visible smoke and no dripping on the driveway and no leaks. Overall power and fuel economy, everything is fine.

In terms of HM oil, which one do you guys suggest? Anything in 10W30 or 5W30 weight? Of if you have any other advice or tips for taking care of this Oil issue? Without this oil issue, car has been very dependable.

Thanks so much for the help.

Maxlife Red bottle 5w30 and a new oem pcv valve did the trick for my 99 Accord that was consuming oil. The first time I noticed it low a qt I topped off with Mobil 5000 and it quickly consumed that. But after topping off with ML and the pcv valve no more consumption. So it was one of the two. The trick is to catch it early.

I wonder if the OP mixed up a bunch of different oils?

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
I have seen many guys here make their own oil brew and mention, if 0W20 is mixed with 0W40 with 4/1 parts, it'll be close to 0W30 and what not terms of ratios...

Question is, how do you get that approximation of mixing blends?

Is there an online calculator for viscosity and all and for that what do I need?

Thanks for any advice and help
thumbsup2.gif

I'd try an 10W30 Conventional first .
I've had good results with Havoline and Chevron Supreme 10W30 slowing down consumption in my old Accord.
49.gif

As the owner of many a Honda, the oil burning issue is their Achilles heel. I have had some luck with adding about 10-15% MMO to either an oil change or whatever I'm adding every time I top it off. If you changed the PCV (and thank you Honda engineers for putting the PCV in a horrible to access location) the next issue is stuck rings. I slowed down a Prelude from a qt every 400 miles to a qt every 800-1000 miles doing this for about 3 months.

Just to note, the oil passage between the PCV and the throttle body gets horribly plugged up. Now every Honda I get gets a new PCV, then I pull off the throttle body and run a flexible pipe cleaner soaked in carb cleaner through the passage. It takes time but most are clogged up. Clean the IAC valve and the throttle plate while the throttle body is off too!

Good luck. I have a love/hate relationship with Honda.

Oil control rings are stuck with carbon buildup.

You can do an aggressive piston soak with possible luck.

Here is a Honda stuck oil control ring thread-

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3990497/Freeing_up_dirty,_stuck_oil_co

Originally Posted By: c502cid
As the owner of many a Honda, the oil burning issue is their Achilles heel. I have had some luck with

In general on these engines what usually causes them to burn oil so badly? I have nearly the same car as the OP (04 Civic LX M5) with about the same amount of miles 154K and I have a complete opposite experience with oil consumption. Between 5000 mile changes oil consumption is barely noticeable on the dipstick.

On the OP's car, I would suspect valve seals because of the unknown history of the used head. Do these engine also have a tendency to plug the oil return holes in the pistons?

Then again my engine has never been seriously over heated either due to the head gasket issues these engines seem to have. I'm guessing that's why the head was replaced in he first place on the OP's car.

Tman220, it never burned oil before, but jumped timing and because of that head needed to be replaced. Now it's consuming oil. Never overheated either.

I'm starting to notice a considerable difference with Castrol GTX 10w30 HM in my 2.8L 1993 s10 with 205k. I even have a minor rear main leak. I've only put 6000-7000 miles on it in two years though. Have thought about going up to 10w40 next OC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tman220
Originally Posted By: c502cid
As the owner of many a Honda, the oil burning issue is their Achilles heel. I have had some luck with

In general on these engines what usually causes them to burn oil so badly? I have nearly the same car as the OP (04 Civic LX M5) with about the same amount of miles 154K and I have a complete opposite experience with oil consumption. Between 5000 mile changes oil consumption is barely noticeable on the dipstick.

On the OP's car, I would suspect valve seals because of the unknown history of the used head. Do these engine also have a tendency to plug the oil return holes in the pistons?

Then again my engine has never been seriously over heated either due to the head gasket issues these engines seem to have. I'm guessing that's why the head was replaced in he first place on the OP's car.

In his case, H series engines have FRM cylinder liners which are extremely tough, but prone to wearing down rings. If you replace rings on an H series, it’s OEM, or Mahle Gold. PCV valve on an H is right on top the Valve cover..

MaxLife Full Syn 5w-30 is what I used for the exact same issue you had.

I also try to reduce my highway speeds to keep the RPM's down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back