Champion Spark plugs: Now made in India!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threw some OE plugs at a customers Jeep today. I was surprised to see that they were made in India. They looked good and the gaps were set perfectly. I know other countries can build good stuff but I still prefer parts made in USA,Canada,Japan or Mexico over India and China.

NGK and Denso still make their spark plugs in Japan
smile.gif

(some of them are US-made though, mostly OEM plugs for American cars)

Bosch still makes theirs in Germany.

Originally Posted By: John_K
My Dad made millions of them in a factory in Toledo, Ohio. Both are gone now.
When did they close it down? I had not heard of this.

I'm guessing that you are talking about the Champion Toledo plant; which appeared to have closed in 91

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: John_K
My Dad made millions of them in a factory in Toledo, Ohio. Both are gone now.
When did they close it down? I had not heard of this.

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2010/05...edo-on-map.html

Quote:
A century after an enterprising former stock boy moved his fledgling company from Boston and transformed it into an automotive titan, the last vestiges of that company will pull out of Toledo for good this year.

The corporate owners of Champion Spark Plug have informed approximately 40 remaining Toledo employees that the research center and small production line on Upton Avenue will close this year.

Jim Burke, director of corporate communications at Southfield, Mich.-based automotive supplier Federal-Mogul Corp., said the work being done in Toledo would be transferred to facilities in Plymouth, Mich., and Burlington, Iowa. About half of the current work force will be given the opportunity to transfer to other facilities, Mr. Burke said. "We expect the transfer of work presently at that facility will occur by the end of the year," Mr. Burke said.

"Champion is one of the corporations that gave Toledo its identity because of its great marketing success early in the 20th century," said Timothy Messer-Kruse, a professor at Bowling Green State University and longtime Toledo historian

The Champion spark plug became well-known as the auto industry developed, and its ties to Toledo became ubiquitous, he said.

"It's a curious technology that was not exactly pioneered in Toledo but perfected in Toledo, and it was a part of our identity as an automotive assembly, parts, and glass community," he said.

Messages for current employees of the facility at 900 Upton weren't returned yesterday. However, former employees who lost their jobs decades ago when the plant laid off hundreds of workers weren't surprised by the latest decision.

"I didn't think there was much left," said Janice Tye, who was a credit analyst for Champion until much of its corporate staff departed for St. Louis in 1993.

"Champion was kind of like a cornerstone of Toledo, Ohio, for years and years. When they relocated, you just had to accept it and move on and get a different job."

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
A few decades from now the only thing US will manufacture is rubber dog c r a p. Things will get ugly.

Scott

Nope; most stuff will return to the US as time goes on. The difference is it will be machines making it here, not people.

A lot of manufacturing is returning to the US but its because machines have progressed enough to make things on their own for the most part.

Outsourcing in a global market! Corporations only care about the mighty $$$ and not quality, just quantity! Corporations in my humble opinion are the "Evil Empire."

Everything in today's market is disposable, including families; divorce, (wives etc). I don't agree, but.

I was in great disbelief when I took a college level class in high school and learned about "planned obsolescence". I couldn't understand that people would make a product, knowing it wouldn't last the duration.

Several years ago I was unable to purchase U.S. steel in New Mexico. Only Mexican (better) and Chinese steel available.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Threw some OE plugs at a customers Jeep today. I was surprised to see that they were made in India. They looked good and the gaps were set perfectly. I know other countries can build good stuff but I still prefer parts made in USA,Canada,Japan or Mexico over India and China.

Don’t worry. I doubt any human hands touched those spark plugs. Better get used to it.

SF

I'll take Indian made over Chinese made any day.

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to make Champion sparkplugs in New Zealand. I thought they were pretty good at the time...maybe they weren't ?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I'll take Indian made over Chinese made any day.
the tools I have had from there were junk.

Then stop shopping at Harbor Freight.......

I would like to know which one of you here would like to work ten hour days on a sparkplug assembly line.

Also how many people here look forward to that future for their children?

Globalization isn't all bad. The idea is the lousy stuff other countries make for us and we focus on the higher value.

Now that our educational system can't seem to turn out candidates qualified for higher end work in sufficient quantities is another problem for another conversation altogether!

Originally Posted By: Silk
We used to make Champion sparkplugs in New Zealand. I thought they were pretty good at the time...maybe they weren't ?

There were good..back in the 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back