Which Redline oil for BMW M240i

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2018 BMW M240i. I changed the oil and filter at 1200 miles with LiquiMoly 5W30. I'll be doing some track time at Virginia International Raceway in late March. I'd like to switch to Redline oil. Now, I did ask Redline about which oil is recommended. The response: 5W20. BUT, in all locations, except the US, the recommended oil is a 5W30. In the US the recommended oil is 0W20. Why? Mileage. So, should I use Redline 5W20 or 5w30?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Marcozi
I own a 2018 BMW M240i. .... So, should I use Redline 5W20 or 5w30?

That Redline 5w20 is really a "30 weight" in the critical HTHS parameter you need to know about. Forget kv100, which is the old-fashioned definition for a 20-weight, occuring at low shear rates. Racing especially is concerned with high temperature, high shear HTHS parameters.
(Why? Its due to all the POE Redline uses in their oils; not affected by HTHS conditions as much as PAO or GroupIII oils.)
Conclusion: a 5w20 Redline is perfect here.
https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/5W20_MO_PROD_INFO.pdf

Originally Posted By: Marcozi
In the US the recommended oil is 0W20.
True, LL-14FE 0w20, with an HTHS=2.7 is what BMW says can be used in a 240i.
In comparison, Redline 5w20 has HTHS=3.0, a ten percent boost, which increases high temperature oil film protection in racing. So 5w20 is the answer.
Actually, one more answer I'd recommend: Go to BMW TwinPower 0w30 HTHS=3.0 oil for racing. Either oil, Redline 5w20 or BMW-branded 0w30, you'll have about the same high temperature, high speed protection. The BMW oil is a PAO/GroupIII oil, while Redline is POE+notSure(?) oil.

I believe Red Line has a very, very significant percentage of PAO, likely exceeding the percentage of POE. I'm not saying Red Line is low on esters, particularly compared to any competitor on the market, but while esters are their selling point, it doesn't seem they're the primary component in their base stock.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I believe Red Line has a very, very significant percentage of PAO, likely exceeding the percentage of POE. I'm not saying Red Line is low on esters, particularly compared to any competitor on the market, but while esters are their selling point, it doesn't seem they're the primary component in their base stock.
I always thought POE gives Redline a high HTHS/KV100 ratio. Is that not true?

I’d run the 5W-30. Pretty sure that engine can run LL-01 which is >3.5 HTHS. So the 5W-30 will be a good choice for high temperatures and loads in that engine. Nice car.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
I always thought POE gives Redline a high HTHS/KV100 ratio. Is that not true?

Oh, that's certainly possible; one of the formulators here would be better equipped to answer that. I wasn't disputing that possibility, at all. I was just pointing out that we do have to be a little cautious when we talk about base stocks, given that there are new users here and casual readers that read something here with no context and then parrot it elsewhere as if it were gospel.

Call Red Line and speak to Dave the customer support guy. He's been there a long time and can help you. He's not just a talking head that reads from a script but more of a tech guy. He is also a BMW fanboy.

Different weights have differing amount of esters, no way would it even be 50% esters compared to the pao. The US gov't has manu's scared to recommend anything but 20 weight most of the time thanks to the teeth in CAFE standards, it is your equipment, run what you want. No the tolerances are such that 30 weight will damage a car. If you like, try using both and seeing the engine temps. In another forum we have 80% of the guys running 30 weight in Hemi's which manu wants 20 weight, the only noticeable difference has been like 1 or 2 PSI in oil pressure, and much smoother running engines. No temp increases either, but like I said if you are worry invest in a 20 weight run and check your temps/pressures.

However, back to your question, the 10w30 actually has zero Vii's, so ditch both of your choices and go with that imo. If you go 20 weight then go 5w20 redline, that as well zero Vii's. The other choices even the 5w30 has some vii's. If you are racing, why have an oil with vii's if you don't need them for some other reason like cold flow? base oil is better at lubricating then vii's at operating temps. ebay has 10w30 on sale for 9.97 a qrt, I bought 5 cases from the guy a racing vendor. good day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back