No name budget oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever just come across no name oils you've never heard of? I looked at the back and didn't recognize anything for it to be made by a company that I do know. This was at the dollar general

They were sued for falsely advertising the oil, it didn't have any current certifications. I don't know if they have gone through the effort now to get their oils API certified but even if they did, I wouldn't go anywhere near that stuff.

For 35 cents more you could get peak. I doubt the uneducated car owner would look at it that way. Cheaper is always better righttt? That also reminds me i was at a locol dallor tree about a month ago and they had a no name motor oil. Just a black bottle and the front said motor oil. The back of the bottle said not for use in automobiles newer than 1940. It was only 1$ and 16 ounces.

Last edited:
I wouldnt bother with that with peak oil next to it for nearly the same price

If its got the sae donut and starburst its probably good oil. Also check for SM or SN rating appropriate for your car.

Last edited:
Looks like in the picture the label on the front says API-SN. I personally don't use anything but name brand oils though.

I don't see the Starburst on the front of the bottle. Is there an API Donut on the back? If they can't be bothered to use the API trademarks, I can't be bothered to check the API website, much less purchase their product.

PQIA has tested a number of no name oils from these Dollar Stores that are in fact harmful to run in any engine. Why bother when SuperTech or Peak or any number of lower priced oils can be bought and still meet certification.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
If it MEETS API spec SN, who would fear it?!?

To be honest, I'm not impressed if it meets the minimum specs to qualify for API SN. If it was so easy to do, why couldn't they be bothered to do it before they were sued for false advertising. QSUD can be had for close to that price per quart when purchased in a 5 quart jug, so why bother with it?

If it has an API starburst I wouldn't hesitate to use it especially as just top off. It's likely made by the usual citgo or warren just like supertech and many other house brands. The pqia analysis posted above shows it's just fine.

Nah I'm not gonna use it. It's actually prices at 2.85 the high mileage above it was over three. Was just browsing the store as I rarely go there. Just wanted to see what they had. Just fun to see strange labels on generic oils

It's not even $1 right? Looks like it has a $3.25 price tag. I'd rather get some name brand oil with a rebate. There's always lots of them out there. The most well known would be the Mobil $12 rebate which happens a couple times a year. You end up with 5 quarts of Mobil 1 for around $11-$13.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
It's not even $1 right? Looks like it has a $3.25 price tag. I'd rather get some name brand oil with a rebate. There's always lots of them out there. The most well known would be the Mobil $12 rebate which happens a couple times a year. You end up with 5 quarts of Mobil 1 for around $11-$13.

the high mileage is 3.25 the black bottle was 2.85.

I know its not really a budget oil seeing that supertech is cheaper and obviously well proven.

and name brand oils can be had for less when on sale, like Q-state is 2.50 right now at Menards

Today's Dollar General oil is manufactured by WPP/WSE, same as the Peak right next to it. There's no reason to avoid it nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back