High mileage synthetic oils in new engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It would be interesting to see voa's of every manufacturer's regular and high mileage oils side by side to compare add packs,viscosities,etc.

The stuff you REALLY need to look at...

doesn't show up in a VOA

Please explain? Molekule says the same. But, what exactly are in these oils that VOA's don't show? I'm always seeing VOA of Schaeffer's Oil, minus the Antimony. Is it the Extreme Pressure additives? Gnosis.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: Pajero
But, what exactly are in these oils that VOA's don't show?
VOA's don't show:
1. Quality of the base oil (like %PAO, GroupIII vs. GTL GroupIII+, %wax, etc.)
2. Which VII is used
3. How powerful and long-lasting the anti-oxidants are (like what M1 claims is really great about Annual Protection, for example).
4. How much polymer esters or POE is used to add more polar AW/FM benefits
5. How much Tungsten is there (although I think only LiquiMoly Molygen oils have that these days)
6. How much synergism has been achieved via chemical balancing

Originally Posted By: ZraHamilton
Would using the maxlife synthetic vs regular synpower since a car is new prolong its life any? Would it help the seals last longer?

The big question and the only one that counts would it void your warranty if you used it because it was on sale and you got it cheaper!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Would using the maxlife synthetic vs regular synpower since a car is new prolong its life any? Would it help the seals last longer?

The big question and the only one that counts would it void your warranty if you used it because it was on sale and you got it cheaper!
I don't know of any auto manufacturers that bans high mileage oil. Does anyone? If the oil meets the requirement, warranty cannot be voided. Maxlife synthetic meets as many requirements as regular synpower, so that shouldn't be a concern.

I’m wondering the answer on this as well. How would it void the warranty?

Originally Posted By: PimTac

I’m wondering the answer on this as well. How would it void the warranty?

Unless it was specifically talked about in your user manual it wouldn't! It would be talked about if it even had a chance of being an issue.

Valvoline Full Synthetic with Maxlife would have more wear protection, more cold start protection, and help maintain fuel efficiency more as well as help prevent leaks vs regular synpower.

[img:center]
2n8a7hd.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: Pajero
But, what exactly are in these oils that VOA's don't show?
VOA's don't show:
1. Quality of the base oil (like %PAO, GroupIII vs. GTL GroupIII+, %wax, etc.)
2. Which VII is used
3. How powerful and long-lasting the anti-oxidants are (like what M1 claims is really great about Annual Protection, for example).
4. How much polymer esters or POE is used to add more polar AW/FM benefits
5. How much Tungsten is there (although I think only LiquiMoly Molygen oils have that these days)
6. How much synergism has been achieved via chemical balancing

What piques my curiosity is that hi mi oils always advertise "more anti wear and more detergents". I'd like to see a side by side comparo with things like moly,zddp,etc. If hi mi oils have more goodies,shouldn't we all be using them?

Not a great comparison since the test dates vary by two years, but it's all i could find.

MAXLIFE Blend tested 2013

Valvoline Premium Conventional tested 2011

And again, Valvoline, both on their website or when visiting one of their Quick Lube chains, states HM oils are perfectly fine for all vehicles i.e., when you ask for Synthetic Blend at the Valvoline Quick Lube, you get MaxLife....

This is where I received my last oil change and includes a tire rotation. Plus he took another $5 off the oil change to make it $20 plus tax. It's a local tire chain place.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: csandste
I've used Maxlife blend in a '14 Encore that I got two years ago with 50K, it now has 95K. Other than the fact that it no longer meets Dexos 1 gen 2 specs (not much chance of LSPI in the base engine, and I'm out of warranty), I would recommend it highly. I would have no problem with Maxlife Syn in a brand new car or Maxlife blend in a new non GM car.
True you have to use the full-synhetic MaxLife to get dexos1 Gen2, good point. .... I'd recommend full syn in everything because dexos1 Gen2 is the highest standard in ILSAC oils these days.

The critical main issue here is seal conditioning and what that means. Seal conditioners are plasticizers to keep them flexible, and SN & dexos1 tests ensure they don't swell the seals too much, testing on many possible seal materials, making them suitable for brand new seals as well as old seals.

Correct. I, along with many others, have posted about this before. Valvoline's seal conditioners do not swell seals. Like a skin moisturizer for skin, a seal conditioner attempts to re-condition seals and maintain elasticity. Other HM oils may contain seal conditioners that do swell the seals a bit, but I was told by the head of Valvoline's technical department that they do not use those kind of conditioners.

Their Instant Oil Change places are quite good IMO.

Is that a Goodyear tire and auto center ad?? I know that the one near me those prices are about what they run.

Ahh. Gotcha. I looked up Valvoline Express oil change places and there's two I could go to. One in my hometown of Gloucester and one in Yorktown. Prices are likely the same as you have posted. $60 for full synthetic oil change is kinda wild for me to wrap my hands around. I know they have coupons that knock off $10 usually. Still pricey though.

It will be interesting to see where they place their new "Modern Engine" Synthetic within their lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back