Buying a car serviced @ QuickLube for 100K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to buy a used Honda Fit in my area. It's from a private party, original owner. When I asked him about service history, he told me he usually takes it to one of these quick lube shops for maintenance. I didn't even ask about the auto transmission service but I assume the same. I haven't been to one of those places in over 2 decades or so but from time to time I drive by one and see advertising stating they use this or that premium brand oil (e.g., Castrol). But the filter quality is most likely subpar unless it's also sold by a name brand like Pennzoil.

In any case, I won't be able to take the car to a mechanic for a PPI since the seller is about 40 miles from me. Should I be worried about the lube xpress that doesn't use quality oils for lack of additives? Assuming he did the oil changes (for which he says he has records), would this engine have extra wear due to low quality oils? Thanks.

Edit: As mentioned on the subject line, the car has 106,xxx miles.

Frequency of oil changes and driving style is what matters most.

Will it still be under warranty?

Get hold of the maintenance schedule and find out what and when things were done, before going out there.

Quick lube engine oil and filter is fine for cars that don't need anything special, but if the trans fluid has been changed, odds are its got the wrong fluid in it, or "universal" atf. Do some reading on how much it matters for a Fit.

Honestly, majority of people take their cars to quick express type and usually cars like Honda/Toyota won't last more than 48 hrs in my area if price is good and vehicle is maintained. No matter, where and how...

People, including myself don't care for mileage, for a less than $5K car. YMMV.

Just inspect and test drive the car like you would any other used car, have a mechanic friend look at it, and it checks out and he price is right, do it

ask the seller if he has any receipts from the Quickee Lube. I used Valvoline for my work van and the '09 Camry I had briefly. Totally satisfied with service. Valvoline has a block diagram procedure that would take at least 3 idiots to defeat. These days 106K is barely broken in.

My Rav4 was serviced exclusively at a quick lube for the first 220k miles. Their oil and filters are adequate.

Why not call a mechanic near the seller to perform a PPI? I did this for my dads car when we had to drive 70+ miles to look at the car. If u like what u see just tell him u wanna buy peninsula a PPI nearby. If he's confident in the car it's a good sign if he agrees, if he doesn't want u to do that then run.

I use Auto Tire because they have steep discounts on MaxLife if you use their credit card. Also had them do a MaxLife ATF change. Also used VIOC in the past. Frankly they've all done as good or better than routine maintenance done by the dealer, master mechanics don't generally spend their time doing oil changes.

The quick oil change places do a lot of oil changes, probably screwing up a tiny percentage. My brother had his older Toyota serviced at dealer and they did not tighten the drain plug fully. I would say it's typical service, so no negative points there.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The quick oil change places do a lot of oil changes, probably screwing up a tiny percentage. My brother had his older Toyota serviced at dealer and they did not tighten the drain plug fully. I would say it's typical service, so no negative points there.

That's why I do my own. Yes when someone you pay money to do a job screws up it is negative points!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
See if he has receipts. Going to quick lube and having receipts is better than some guy making up a story about oil changes.

If he doesn't, the quick lube places will have them in their data base. They will be happy to print them out.

Considering the uoas I have seen from Fits, oil related things would be the last concern in these cars. They are super easy on oil, so i would look at everything else and decide based on that.

The fact the vehicle was maintained at all would be a positive sign in the cars favor! If you can get the service records (from the owner or the quickee lube place), even better.

I've honestly had more trouble with dealers changing oil than with quickie lubes...I started changing my own because the nearest Subaru service dept was so bad. I guess they sort of did me a favor in the end because I like doing it and can easily pick the oil I want! I always wonder how many people who bring their own oil to a change place actually get bulk oil, at least at places where you can't watch the service...

Most if not all of those quick-lube places report to Carfax, should be easy to confirm that the oil changes were done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back