FVP Full synthetic anyone?

Hey guys, new to the forum, been doing a lot of reading on here though. A lot of you guys know a lot more about the stats than me. Can anyone tell me if the FVP oil sold dirt cheap is any good? See the Product info sheet here http://www.fvpparts.com/files/4113/8377/1439/Full_Syn_Oil.pdf About the only thing I can make out of the sheet is the cold pour point, which I think is good, but I don't know what the rest of it is.

TIA

Welcome! From what I can tell the spec sheet gives mostly "acceptable ranges" for the values, instead of specifying the tested values. Pour point looks good, as you noted.
This shouldn't be a problem but you're "flying blind", so to speak.
I'm sure it's a good oil if it meets specs and should do well for you.

Thanks for the info! Might I ask what you use for your Chev? I'm trying to decide what I want to use in my Ram, I like the price point of the FVP, and it's based out of MN which is my home state, but want to take care of my new baby.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
Welcome! From what I can tell the spec sheet gives mostly "acceptable ranges" for the values, instead of specifying the tested values. Pour point looks good, as you noted.
Yes, that is strange how they don't state the actual values the oil is, like everybody else has ever done.
If its API-certified, SN, GF-5 oil, then you can use it in non-GM, non-Ford, non-Chrysler, non-German, non-Swedish, ... only in Korean or Japanese vehicles, and of course older vehicles that don't need extra specs.

Basically, oils from small companies like that simply buy the oil from somewhere else, plaster their name on it, and they sell it. Some might actually blend their own, but usually they will buy from a place like Warrent Performance Products or similar company.

Just how cheap is the FVP ?. If you are on a tight budget, meeting GF-5 and SN is not the end of the world. It’s common for a parts seller to have a hose brand oil. Maybe they should have done a better job of listing all the certifications, is all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Yes, that is strange how they don't state the actual values the oil is, like everybody else has ever done.
If its API-certified, SN, GF-5 oil, then you can use it in non-GM, non-Ford, non-Chrysler, non-German, non-Swedish, ... only in Korean or Japanese vehicles, and of course older vehicles that don't need extra specs.

Basically, oils from small companies like that simply buy the oil from somewhere else, plaster their name on it, and they sell it. Some might actually blend their own, but usually they will buy from a place like Warrent Performance Products or similar company.

GF-5 and SN form the basis of certifications for some of theses manufacturers. Which certifications for each manufacturer are you worried about?

SF

Last edited:
Holley Frontier of Dallas is the fourth largest lubricant maker in America. They make lubricants for many of the brand names. I hope no one thinks their favorite brand owns their own refinery and blending plant beyond Exxon, Shell and maybe a few others. Yes, they ask for their special formulations but typically their stuff is made along side someone else’s. It’s not hard to change the additives and run off a bunch of store brand.

SF

Best bet is to get a full-synthetic 5-quart jug at walmart for cheap.

+1 on this. I understand you want to support your home state etc. I want to use a quality oil that I know has been proven.

https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsResultsDetail?accountId=-1&companyId=10551&resultsUrl=%2FDirectory%2FEolcsResults%3FaccountId%3D-1%26brandName%3Dfvp

They have plenty of API licensed products.

I'm sure they are fine. More than fine enough for what anyone is going to likely put them through.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
GF-5 and SN form the basis of certifications for some of theses manufacturers. Which certifications for each manufacturer are you worried about?

SN+GF5 forms the minimal basis, the starting point, for most oils. Then, most engine makers add their own requirements on top of that. Again, as I mentioned above, Japanese and Korean engines don't typically add any requirements on to the basic SN (performance models in there do though). Ford and Chrysler unique additional requirements are fairly weak and can usually be ignored unless your car is under warranty, I will say that. GM additional requirements are much more serious and substantial and should be followed if you have a GM engine, and its the highest standard among domestic makes, so look for GM dexos1 Gen2 or dexos2 (diesels) for the best motor oil. German engines all have their own special specs, follow Owner's Manual for each.

EZ guide: If your engine is less than 6 years old, use oil with the Owner's Manual weight and that has the manufacturer's approval specs to make sure the warranty is protected. Otherwise, for older engines, use anything you want that matches the HTHS of the original oil, or you can add up to about +0.5 on the new-engine HTHS original requirements with no problems. {{ You don't "have to" use a High Mileage oil for engines over 75,000 miles, but I recommend it to condition the seals to prevent leaks more.}} If you race or tow with that engine: Use one weight higher oil than what's in the Owners Manual, unless its a GTR or NSX which expects you to drive it hard already. If it has a turbo: Insist on full-synthetic. Oil Change Interval: Owner's Manual will tell you exactly, and most engines have an intelligent oil life monitor light on the dashboard to follow exactly.

So for FVP oil and all oils utterly devoid of any manufacturer-specific specs, use in most Asian engines or slightly older engines off warranty.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I'm not an expert on HTHS so I'll punt on that one.
In a nutshell, as long as a person never puts in oil that has an HTHS less than what the engine maker says to use, the bearings are protected OK. You can go up to +0.5 more HTHS, but there is really seldom a reason to exceed that.
0w20, 5w20 HTHS 2.6-2.8
0w30, 5w30 HTHS 2.9-3.2 for SN GF-5 based oils
0w40, 5w30, 5w40 HTHS 3.5-3.8 if you see German car approvals on the back

The Chevy (my dad's) gets ACDelco Dexos (now full synthetic) from the dealer, as it just ran out of free oil changes.
But I'm still trying to decide on my favorite oil for the Sienna and the Buick. I might try the FVP IF it meets any specs that your vehicles list. I did notice that the FVP was from MN, too.

The Chevy (my dad's) gets ACDelco Dexos (now full synthetic) from the dealer, as it just ran out of free oil changes.
But I'm still trying to decide on my favorite oil for the Sienna and the Buick. I might try the FVP IF it meets any specs that your vehicles list. I did notice that the FVP was from MN, too.
FVP would be fine in the 150k mile vehicles. Its a full synthetic and API Certified, so good enough really. The Silverado needs to stick with dexos1 though like you say.

So checking out Menards website where you can find FVP, it appears it's dexos approved, and a quick email to them yesterday revealed they also meet ms6395 specs for FCA vehicles. I think I'm going to give it a try in my ram!

Hey just wanted to give a thanks out to everyone who gave advice and did some research! I've got a few miles before I'm due for an oil change, but when I am I think I'm going to try the FVP in all of my vehicles. Thanks!

Back