4L60E add filter/cooler/temp gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't even looked if this thing has a separate tranny cooler, so I have to look at it. If it doesn't, I want to add one. I also want to add a spin-on transmission filter and a transmission temperature gauge. Does anybody know of a kit that allows me to add a spin-on filter in line with the tranny cooler, and maybe even have a place for a tranny temp gauge probe? Any recommendations on a gauge? Thanks!

PS: referring to my 97 Suburban K1500 if that isn't clear.

You want a filter mount that has extra ports for you to take advantage of. Typical remote filter mount has two ports in and two ports out. Replace one with the appropriate fitting for the temp sensor. Might be a good idea to have the filter mount before any of the coolers for the most accurate temp reading.

I like Autometer gauges.

I put a an additional trans cooler and temp gauge on a previous 4L60E. There's a little bung up on the side of the tranny that gives temp readings very close to scan tool readings. Found it with a search "temp gauge port 4L60E". Not what you're looking for but it was easy to access.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
You want a filter mount that has extra ports for you to take advantage of. Typical remote filter mount has two ports in and two ports out. Replace one with the appropriate fitting for the temp sensor. Might be a good idea to have the filter mount before any of the coolers for the most accurate temp reading.

I like Autometer gauges.

did exactly this in the tundra. works great. pretty sure this is what I used: https://www.amazon.com/Derale-25709-Remo...il+filter+mount

ditto on Autometer gauges. I've used both them and SunPro. Suntune used to be good stuff but now even their higher line is junk. if I'm going to invest the time to do it, I'll spend for AM.

-m

You probably already have the tranny cooler. face the front of your truck and look through the lower left portion of the grill opening. If you see a small square radiator looking part, that is your tranny cooler.

Same transmission, different vehicle.

Installed a DieselSite remote mount housing. Much bigger than the standard type. Has a large thread for the filter (BT839) and the inlet and outlets are large so fittings will be pricey to reduce down to 3/8 hose. Inbuilt bypass valve inside. All Billet aluminum. Beautiful piece.

I also installed a Derale pan but it wont fit due to the deep pan filter, need the short filter instead. Has an outlet fitting for a temp sender. I just mount the gauge under the bonnet with a switch for power. B&M and others make pans for the 4L60 as well.

Trans cooler - I bypassed the in tank cooler and went direct to a B&M Hi-tek fan cooler (large one). The fan very rarely turns on (normal city driving, no towing)

Fluid: Castrol Transmax Z

Hope this helps

Well, the tranny is acting up, before I got a chance to install a filter, so I am not going to bother with a filter, and yes, it already has an OEM cooler. When my new trans goes in, I'll install the temp gauge. When I have the new one sitting here I'll beat the [censored] out of the old tranny (still driveable) so the rebuilder has work to do
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back