Michelin tires wore out rapidly - update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm continuing from this thread here...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...idl#Post4643547

I went outside and took some pictures of the tires, it looks like there's some uneven wear in the front insides of the tires. The drivers side is significantly worse than the passengers. The rear tires seem fine. It's my moms car, and she claimed to have had the tires rotated every other oil change. Does this look like a lack of rotation or alignment/balancing issue?

Front Left: https://i.imgur.com/EgEKOwW.jpg

Front Right: https://i.imgur.com/2kF1Ul0.jpg https://i.imgur.com/FrxLvYX.jpg

I don't know where to go from here. The rears aren't bad, and the front right isn't too bad either. Maybe I could just get one new tire or do a rotation on these? Would the front left do ok in the back of the car?

I doubt sears would warranty them and probably say it's a lack of maintenance. Not sure if mom can provide receipts.

OP, the reason your tires wore our rapidly is because your suspension needs work. Given the mileage of the car it probably needs bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, struts/shocks, etc; and the subsequent alignment.

Scott

I'd have an alignment shop look at it and do a proper alignment. Sears wouldn't be on my list of options for an alignment. If you have a Discount Tire nearby they might be able to help with a pro-rate on a different set of tires. They usually do a great job with pro-rates. And all they do is tires.

agree. the problem is not the tires; they should not warranty them for problems with alignment/suspension/steering. I also believe that if the tires were rotated every oil change, the rears would show similar wear issues. of course, what is the OCI ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: llmercll
I doubt sears would warranty them and probably say it's a lack of maintenance.

It is a lack of maintenance.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
OP, the reason your tires wore our rapidly is because your suspension needs work. Given the mileage of the car it probably needs bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, struts/shocks, etc; and the subsequent alignment.

There you have it.

If you put new tires on the car before addressing the suspension/steering/alignment, this will happen again.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I think the toe is off on one wheel. But i had defenders wear evenly and wore out at 28k. The air pressure was maintained at 32f 34r. When the tires were replaced, the alignment was checked and was fine. I have pirelli P4 plus all season on there now, and they are holding up great.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4287363/Michelin_defender_issue#Post4287363

Although it is off topic, I'm really pleased with the same Pirelli tires on our '12 Accord.
They're wearing really well after 25K+, they're good in winter conditions, they offer a plush ride and they're quiet.
Best of all, I bought them from Belle Tire's online sales outlet (treaddepot?) for a song.
They sent me an email back in April '16 offering these tires at something like eighty bucks each, so I bit intending to have them mounted before the next winter. There was also a sixty dollar Pirelli MIR, which made them even cheaper.
Had them mounted in early December of that year and have been very happy with them since.
The typical Michelin shopper would be well advised to take a look at Pirellis.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

The typical Michelin shopper would be well advised to take a look at Pirellis.

I must say, that the in previous winters i could not even move the car in 2 inches of snow, i mean it would not budge with the defenders on there. I just thought it was hyundai suspension or the car was just not good on snow. With the pirelli tires, I had no problem leaving where it was parked and driving on the snow that was packed down.

Last edited:
As said above, suspension is worn out (an alignment will NOT solve this) and the tires haven't had the tire pressure maintained, they've been run too low.

Alignment can only change from one of two things:

1. Worn out suspension parts

2. Bent/broken suspension parts.

Hitting a pothole isn't going to just simply change your alignment. If it does, something is either bent or broken, and an alignment won't solve that.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Definitely an alignment issue...probably camber issue?

That's what I'm thinking. Negative camber issue.

Those tires are worn out early due to an alignment issue. On the VW MK4 platform, check your front lower control arm bushings. This picture below is from a New Beetle with slightly fewer miles:

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'd have an alignment shop look at it and do a proper alignment. Sears wouldn't be on my list of options for an alignment. If you have a Discount Tire nearby they might be able to help with a pro-rate on a different set of tires. They usually do a great job with pro-rates. And all they do is tires.

Why would a tire shop pro-rate the tires for treadwear when the premature wear-out is caused by a mechanical issue?

Last edited:
I bought a 1993 Mercedes 300 D about ten months ago-car fax report indicated previous owner bought Michelin Defenders 14 months before I bought car and put 9000 miles on them. I drive a lot rotated them twice and they had 6/32 and 7/32 on them at second roatation which was about 22000 miles that I put on them. 8000 miles later right rear tire blew on highway and they were all nearly bald. I have always putchased Michelin fires when had money and had excellent success-wife’s 2015 Accord has 66000 miles on mxv4 primacy and they have 4/-5/32 all around. I was suprised at how quickly the defender tires wore down to the point of one tire blowing out on highway and others ready to do so.

Looks like a toe issue on alignment. Get new tires and an alignment for sure. It may need a part(s) to get alignment correct.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Front right looks like it may have been ran underinflated, too.

Was going to say the same. Looks like a tire plug in that tire as well.

So, we have one tire with bad toe wear and another that was driven flat.

I would not be blaming the tires for the wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Definitely an alignment issue...probably camber issue?

That's what I'm thinking. Negative camber issue.

Camber does not wear out tires, toe does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back