Non A3/B4 5w30 syn. in an Audi A4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a recent thread about an oil pressure warning in a 2004 Audi A4 3.0 V6.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...arn#Post4641862

My plan is to replace the sensor first (~$15). If that doesn't work, I am dropping the pan and cleaning the pump screen as well as an oil change. (I normally use vw502 oil and a Mann filter.)

Would there be any issues with a few short cleaning OCI's with a 5w30 synthetic? A Mann filter would be used. I have a large stash of the stuff and let's face it, it's less valuable then an A3/B4.

I think the lower pan is cake to remove on those cars, Id just start there. Im surprised that youre getting oil pressure in the v6 and not the 1.8t, Id imagine the junkyard engine may have been a little neglected. If you see any junk the Liqui Moly engine cleaner is really good stuff. Permatex RTV would not be an issue at all, from the other thread, as would the 5/30 oil that you have.

31.gif

Save the 5w30 for your Jeep and Blazer
smile.gif

German cars like Audi are very picky and need the special sauce oils. You can get oil that does meet the requirements at Walmart for a good price.

I'm using Magnatec dexos synblend in my Audi that asks for 502 oil. No problems to report. I thought it was harder starting but even then it just needed a top-off. Consumption is about 1qt in 2500-3000 miles, the same as Edge 0w-40. I bet you're fine.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
German cars like Audi are very picky and need the special sauce oils.

No, they don't. Not his V6.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
German cars like Audi are very picky and need the special sauce oils.

No, they don't. Not his V6.

Opinions on both sides.

Normally, I use A3/B4's like I said so it was never a concern, but I was of the impression the 3.0 V6 was picky with oil with the cam lobe failures and all.
21.gif

I dont think the 502 spec is as important in this engine as opposed to the 1.8t/2.0t. Eitherway, any quality syn ran for a reasonable interval wont cause any problems.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Opinions on both sides.

Normally, I use A3/B4's like I said so it was never a concern, but I was of the impression the 3.0 V6 was picky with oil with the cam lobe failures and all.
21.gif

Conventional v synthetic doesn't affect wear, in my opinion, with the appropriate interval.

If you were really worried about a cam wiping out, I'd suggest a 15W-40 HDEO on a 5k interval.

502, A40, M229.5, LL01, these are all performance and anti-wear standards, yes - but within the ideal of an extended, 10-15k interval.

Shorten then interval with conventional and get equivalent results. I'm not sure this would save you any money though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back