Valvoline Full Syn 10k oci?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

What do you all think about Valvoline full syn 5w30 and a 10k run in a 7 qt system. It will be mostly highway mileage in my super dutys 6.2l V8. I get great results with the VWB and 5k runs but looking to spread out my intervals to save some time. Id really like to stick with Valvoline.

I would never just 'wing it' out to 10K regardless of oil. I would go out to 5K or 7K, get a UOA and proceed from there. As for Valvoline's ability to reach 10K? Yes, under the right conditions like any other oil. A 7 quart sump and your success with VWB makes this endeavor promising though, i must admit.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I would go out to 5K, get a UOA and proceed from there.

Looks like he already did and from the posts it appears the results were very good. Too bad the photobucket image doesn't appear any longer.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4364887/VWB_5w30,_5k_OCI_'16_F350_6.2l#Post4364887

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: wemay
I would go out to 5K, get a UOA and proceed from there.

Looks like he already did and from the posts it appears the results were very good. Too bad the photobucket image doesn't appear any longer.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4364887/VWB_5w30,_5k_OCI_'16_F350_6.2l#Post4364887

Thanks SatinSilver,

In that case, i'd say go for it, OP!

Valvoline recommends very short OCI for even their synthetic oil; if I were to pick a 10K oil, it would certainly not be Valvoline; if they have no confidence in a 10K run with their own product, I'm not sure I would.

That is the cynic in me; i'm sure you'll be ok if you do a UoA, but I'd rather use a fill of oil the mfg believes is a 10K+ oil.

Last edited:
I wouldn't let that bug you too much. Pennzoil doesn't advertise PUP as a long drain oil, either. Like Valvoline, they're pretty much in step with the OEM recommendations, even if that's 3 months and 3,000 miles. On the other hand, if the OEM calls for a longer OCI than 10,000 miles, I'm sure Valvoline (or Pennzoil) will stand behind that.

I don't think Valvoline Synpower Synthetic is on par with M1/Edge/PP. To me, it's more on the level of Magnatec/QSUD/Mobil Super Syn and the house brands.

It's a good price at $3-4/qt when Napa has it on sale (Napa's house brand oils are Valvoline), but it's NOT worth the regular price of the top-tier synthetics
49.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I don't think Valvoline Synpower Synthetic is on par with M1/Edge/PP. To me, it's more on the level of Magnatec/QSUD/Mobil Super Syn and the house brands.

It's a good price at $3-4/qt when Napa has it on sale (Napa's house brand oils are Valvoline), but it's NOT worth the regular price of the top-tier synthetics
49.gif

You forgot to add some substantive data to back up your statement.

It does...but honestly i don't use it. It counts down from 7500 miles which jives with the oil spec ford calls for which is basically any SN 5w30. Ive done a pile of UOAs with VWB at 5k and they have been spectacular...but i drive about 50k per year and would prefer to be under the truck less LOL

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Too bad the Photobucket image doesn't appear any longer.

Just right click on the image and open in a new tab/window - that will take you to that user's account, and you can view the photo on the Photobucket page itself

Hmmmm.... A tier system to grade out those oils. I would put Valvoline Advanced Synthetic right up there with Castrol Edge black bottle, and regular Mobil 1.

I do think Mobil Super Synthetic, STP, Carquest made by Amalie and other house brands are the next step "supposedly" down from those. Though Castrol Magnatec has shown the best for GDI motors that are turbo boosted. Which one could say puts it right up there with tier above it. And for that... I'd agree with that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hmmmm.... A tier system to grade out those oils. I would put Valvoline Advanced Synthetic right up there with Castrol Edge black bottle, and regular Mobil 1.

I do think Mobil Super Synthetic, STP, Carquest made by Amalie and other house brands are the next step "supposedly" down from those. Though Castrol Magnatec has shown the best for GDI motors that are turbo boosted. Which one could say puts it right up there with tier above it. And for that... I'd agree with that.

I think VAS and VME are on par with Castrol Edge Black and M1 and Pennzoil Platinum. For obvious reasons, M1 EP and AP, Pennzoil Ultra and Castrol Edge Gold are better for longer oci. Valvoline is missing a product in that sector. For anything up to 10k Valvoline Synthetic is on par with anyone else.

Last edited:
Motor oil manufacturers can not and should not recommend oil change intervals. OCI is decided by engine/car manufacturer. It's better to follow recommendations from car owners manual. My two cents...

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Hey Guys,

What do you all think about Valvoline full syn 5w30 and a 10k run in a 7 qt system. It will be mostly highway mileage in my super dutys 6.2l V8. I get great results with the VWB and 5k runs but looking to spread out my intervals to save some time. Id really like to stick with Valvoline.

If it's not good for 10K then switch brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back