Firestone/Bridgestone doesn't back their tire warr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several years ago I bought a set of Bridgestone tires. They had a 50% replacement cost warranty if they did not deliver the mileage stated. They wore out early so I went back to the store, they refused to honor the warranty because there was still a little tread left but not much! Certainly if I brought the car in to buy tires they would have told me they were shot! So I thought to complain to Firestone but first wanted to wear them bald so there would be no excuse. Firestone told me to bring them to a local company owned store and give them this email. I did. The Manager told me since they are bald he couldn't measure the tread depth with his gauge. I of course countered then it had to be less than acceptable, he agreed but since he couldn't measure it, he can't give me a credit. I never emailed Firestone about this Manager.

Same here, had some Affinity 60k tires that developed issues around the 30k mark. I bought them on sale, buy 3 get one free. After the proration, tax, etc each tire would be $93 installed. I said forget it and went to another tire store and had some Kelly tires installed for less than the "pro-rated Firestones". Never again.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
The Manager told me since they are bald he couldn't measure the tread depth with his gauge. I of course countered then it had to be less than acceptable, he agreed but since he couldn't measure it, he can't give me a credit.

That is one of the lamest and infuriating excuses I've heard. They'll do anything to shed responsibility.

2/32” is the minimum standard tread depth. You should have taken them to 2/32” and then gone in.

Incredibly unsafe to take a car down to 0 tread just to save a couple bucks on a warranty.

Your warranty is only as good as your tire store! I have a Michel Tires Plus manager here in Cincinnati that I've dealt with for fleet tires and other basic service ever since the Michelin distributor blew us off 15 years ago, and I never have a problem with Bridgestone/Firestone. If you find a good one, stick with them, buy them a pizza occasionally-then they will help you when you need it.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
2/32” is the minimum standard tread depth. You should have taken them to 2/32” and then gone in.

Incredibly unsafe to take a car down to 0 tread just to save a couple bucks on a warranty.

I agree.

Several years ago I bought a set of Bridgestone tires. They had a 50% replacement cost warranty if they did not deliver the mileage stated. They wore out early so I went back to the store, they refused to honor the warranty because there was still a little tread left but not much! Certainly if I brought the car in to buy tires they would have told me they were shot! So I thought to complain to Firestone but first wanted to wear them bald so there would be no excuse. Firestone told me to bring them to a local company owned store and give them this email. I did. The Manager told me since they are bald he couldn't measure the tread depth with his gauge. I of course countered then it had to be less than acceptable, he agreed but since he couldn't measure it, he can't give me a credit. I never emailed Firestone about this Manager.

Uh, Bald = 0/32". THAT is the guy you should have reported.

I 100% agree but it was during the summer, I have no need to go out in the rain, and I didn't want any problems that there was tread left.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Your warranty is only as good as your tire store! I have a Michel Tires Plus manager here in Cincinnati that I've dealt with for fleet tires and other basic service ever since the Michelin distributor blew us off 15 years ago, and I never have a problem with Bridgestone/Firestone. If you find a good one, stick with them, buy them a pizza occasionally-then they will help you when you need it.

The store I bought them at, I do but then a pizza, make homemade apple pie for them several times, gave the manager homemade bread, however I can't complain because they fix flats for me, rotate my tires and align my wheels all for free every 5,000 miles without buying any extra tire thing, besides fixing flats on my lawn and Snow equipment for free, just charging me $8 for the tube.

Stop. Trusting. Tire. Warranties!!!

I can count on one hand the number of times a tire warranty has actually worked out.

That's too bad.

I just got a new set of tires on warranty for my Outback. The Defender tires were wearing out much quicker than what they were rated. So when I was in for a rotation I asked the service tech when I should bring them in for warranty. He told be between 2/32 and 3/32. So that's what I did. It worked out great.

I've only had to make a warranty claim on two set of tires. Both times it went without a hitch. I don't know if it was because of Discount Tire's buying power over tire manufacturers, or just because I maintain my tires well, including regular rotations.

I did get Michelin to prorate a set of cracked LTX's but after that I decided to not "trust" warranties any more. Easier to buy a grade cheaper, save the money and use that savings to pay for either shorter tire life or the occasional busted tire (outside of the Michelins I haven't had a tire problem).

I 100% agree but it was during the summer, I have no need to go out in the rain, and I didn't want any problems that there was tread left.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

The store I bought them at, I do but then a pizza, make homemade apple pie for them several times, gave the manager homemade bread, however I can't complain because they fix flats for me, rotate my tires and align my wheels all for free every 5,000 miles without buying any extra tire thing, besides fixing flats on my lawn and Snow equipment for free, just charging me $8 for the tube.

Note: I copied all of the OP's posts into one for convenience.

There's something about this that just doesn't sound right.

First, I have never heard of a 50% treadwear warranty. I used to work in the warranty department of a major tire manufacturer and we would routinely survey our competition, so I would have thought I would have heard of one.

Second, I can understand why someone might not honor a treawear warranty if the tires weren't close to wornout (2/32!). But if they were 4/32nds or less, then usually something is arranged - especially if the customer calls the 800 number.

Third, it sounds a little extreme to wear the tires down to 0/32nds - and even more so when apparently the tires were MORE than 4/32nds previously. That takes many miles and a bit of time to get there. This seems like an overreaction.

Fourth, usually the tire manufacturer will do a little something even if the warranty doesn't apply, so why no followup with the manufacturer?

So I suspect there is something missing - like maybe the tires weren't evenly worn? Or maybe all the unpaid extra work resulted in the OP being put on the Blacklist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back