School me on Intel CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm typically an AMD guy for all my desktop builds, but may have the opportunity to get a used Cisco UCS C240 M4 rack server with dual Intel Xeon E5-2630 V4 CPUs for dirt cheap. I don't really have a need for a beast like this, so I'm wondering how good of a CPU it would be for a workhorse desktop. I'll probably scavange the 192GB of DDR4 (I'm sure ECC...) it comes with along with its SSDs.

The socket is listed as "R3" which is also LGA-2011-v3, correct? I see desktop motherboards with that socket on Newegg.

My thought is to use one of those CPUs in an LGA-2011-v3 socketed motherboard with a desktop OS. Would use it for an all-around desktop (some gaming, video/slideshow rendering for the wife, etc..).

Any issues with this since it's a Xeon?

From my understanding those CPU have different socket than the typical desktop CPU.

ECC DDR4, that'll probably sell for a premium in the shortage market we have now.

Given RAM prices, that RAM would probably pay for a new machine or a nice vacation!

Other than that, it's a server grade CPU so any boards you find may be proprietary (power supply, case, etc) and require the use of that ECC RAM. See what SuperMicro offers - they specialize in server stuff on the cheap (but very reliable).

Originally Posted By: Throt
What speed is that DDR4?

I need about 16GB’s of 2400.

I believe it's 2400.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Given RAM prices, that RAM would probably pay for a new machine or a nice vacation!

Other than that, it's a server grade CPU so any boards you find may be proprietary (power supply, case, etc) and require the use of that ECC RAM. See what SuperMicro offers - they specialize in server stuff on the cheap (but very reliable).

The socket is LGA-2011-v3, which is available on desktop motherboards, even though the CPU itself is a server grade Xeon.

For example: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157601

I stand corrected. I thought all Xeons needed ECC memory. So used to just purchasing it that I never thought to look to see if it supported anything else.

How many cores will your target OS support, let alone the MB you choose?

Linux and similar no problem. I think in the Windows world, the release you choose, Home, Pro, or Enterprise may come with limits.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
How many cores will your target OS support, let alone the MB you choose?

Linux and similar no problem. I think in the Windows world, the release you choose, Home, Pro, or Enterprise may come with limits.

That's a good point. For application compatibility with the wife and kids school stuff, It'd probably be Windows 10 pro. This CPU, I believe, has 10 cores. I have been able to find articles where this has been fine for Windows 10 pro, but I haven't found anything yet definitively saying 10 pro would support that many cores.

Those are close to the processors used in servers at my work. They're really more suited for business purposes, but would do fine for the purposes you list.

Now if you were planning to use them to build your own NAS or streaming media server, then that's even better!

Just a quick search of Google indicates that Intel X99 chipset does support E5-26xx v3 processors, but you said it's a V4. So you may need a server or workstation MB that has something like the C612 chipset.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Just a quick search of Google indicates that Intel X99 chipset does support E5-26xx v3 processors, but you said it's a V4. So you may need a server or workstation MB that has something like the C612 chipset.

Thanks, I'll look into that further. The more I think about it though, the clock speed may be insufficient for some gaming purposes as games don't rely so much on number of cores. If I can get this machine, it may just be a home lab box or I'll part it out and take the kids on a vacation or something.

Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted By: 28oz
That's a good point. For application compatibility with the wife and kids school stuff, It'd probably be Windows 10 pro. This CPU, I believe, has 10 cores. I have been able to find articles where this has been fine for Windows 10 pro, but I haven't found anything yet definitively saying 10 pro would support that many cores.

You should be fine with 10 cores on Win 10 Pro. My Ryzen 7 box is 8C/16T and running W10 Pro it's fine. It will use all 16 of those threads if need be.

Rather than using that fine server as a home computer (servers tend to be very noisy when their cooling fans rev up) I would sell it as-is for a nice sum and use the cash to buy something more suitable for home use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back