Honda CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't hate the CVT in our 2014 Civic Coupe. The wife is the daily driver of this car and we're around 54-55k miles.

I dumped the factory fill in this little trans around 23k and re-filled with 4.0 quarts (calls for 3.9qt) of Honda HCF-2 fluid.

It has always shifted (varied is a better term?) through its gear (ratios) well and I honestly don't hate it. It is smooth and efficient. It doesn't feel like a rubber band or slip.

Do other folks in here share the same sentiments in regards to the Honda CVT? I am considering one of the new Civic Hatchbacks for myself. My ankle broken 8 or so years ago has come to be somewhat painful in cold weather and is aggravated with clutch in-out-in-out. I would enjoy an automatic again.

Honda's CVT is generally regarded as the best in the business with Subaru very close behind. If you're reasonably satisfied with the CVT in your '14 you should like the the one in the new Civic better as they have made incremental improvements in hardware and software. I drove my dad's new Civic over the Christmas holiday and was very impressed with the ride, steering, handling, and also pleasantly surprised how responsive and unobjectionable the CVT was.

Last edited:
I have a 2010 Civic with a 5 speed automatic and my brother has a 2014 Accord with a CVT. They don't really feel that different. Both drive very nice.

Yes, I share your sentiment. I've driven a 2013 Accord with a CVT and it felt fine with no problems
smile.gif

The worst CVT's are the early ones (late 90's EK Civic HX, the late 80s/early 90s Subaru Justy, etc), and the ones that have software trying to simulate regular automatics with artificial shift points (which are annoying, and also defeat the purpose of a CVT). I agree with gofast that Honda and Subaru make the best CVT's.

Autozone has Castrol CVT fluid on sale 2 for $10. No limit, but you do have to buy in multiples of two.

The older 2000s era Honda CVTs rubberbanded a lot, I like how the newer 2014-up ones drive. There's a small tinge of rubberbanding when you really mash the pedal, but there's no comparison between the new and old.

Don't like it. Great for mpg but lugs the engine. Longevity? Prefer the more proven older transmissions with progressive speeds. Just my preference. .02.

We recently grabbed a new Fit with a CVT. And its actuslly really good. The logic is well and it just drives lovely.

My mom has a 07 Caliber 2.0 with a CVT. Its "meh". I had to borrow it for a few months like 5 years ago and i was able to coax 34mpg tank average out of it.

I am pleased to hear I am not the lone soul who enjoys the newest of Honda's transmission offerings.

Perhaps considering a new vehicle in Spring.

we have a 15 CRV. I like how its tuned. they keep the engine revs low and tuned it well to run at low rpm. I suspect the throttle tuning has it far more open than you'd think, but the net driver result is like driving a much larger engine with gobs of torque that doesn't rev until you ask it to. Makes for a relaxing drive. Except that it also sounds so good when it spins up, I don't always let it relax. The only time it rubber bands if if you suddenly come off a deep-pedal acceleration on highway speeds, then it pulls forward some. Ease off, and its fine.

-m

Originally Posted By: meep
I suspect the throttle tuning has it far more open than you'd think, but the net driver result is like driving a much larger engine with gobs of torque that doesn't rev until you ask it to.

I really like the way you put this, and I have realized that this is yet another thing I have subconsciously thought about but haven't mentioned... but do love.

Whenever I drive our '14 I don't feel like I'm pushing it hard. It just GOES, and so effortlessly. Almost I can compare it to a stalled automatic V8. It is very refreshing and relaxing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back