Best vehicle I ever owned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking today what was the best vehicle I ever owned. I was a 1988 Ford F350 crew cab 4x4 with the 7.3 Navistar engine and the neck snaping C6. Work done on this truck was minimal. Engine/transmission/transfer case/Front and rear differential's never touch. Oil change and filter every 5,000 miles. Trans every 20,000 miles and still would snap your back in your seat on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Never let me down. Sold the truck in 2012 with 416,000 miles because Vermont salt finely won. New owner put engine in a 1987 3/4 ton pickup. Amazing Amazing truck.

Last edited:
Yep-got that same engine in the '89 F-SuperDuty in my sig-it's a little short on power, but it is hauling around 12,500 pounds around. I don't have the C6, it's a ZF-5 manual.

My 1993 Ford Ranger (was 2.3 liter) swapped to 5.0, Tremec 3550 transmission, 8.8" rearend.

I've pulled 5,000+ GVTW many times with this li'l beast.
I've hauled dozens of flooded cars back to Texas after Katrina to part out.

Hauled many tractors, too - including a Farmall M with wheel weights and a 3-point hitch!

2004 Honda Accord V6 4 door- EX- what a great car i was totally opposed to it at first.
Then i drove it. My wife put the first 120k on it and i took it to 300k

It left me once i had to get a ride to the Local NAPA and put a starter in it.
I sold it for $2000 and i am sure it is out driving.

1998 Honda Civic LX Sedan. Sold it with 260K miles and it is still going strong at 340K miles with the new owner. That car never left me stranded and only required the normal maintenance.

My present 2007 Ford Fusion that I still own. 2nd was my old 1991 Ford Ranger. When sold it had 354K and still runin strong. The valve covers were never removed.

Last edited:
My Corolla. Other than tires, oil, ATF, coolant change and (1) headlight bulb, I haven't had to perform a single repair...I still have the factory brake pads...LOL

Against ALL. Odds. And would you believe , My daughters 2003 Cavalier . Bought it at 105 k miles cheap and she drove that thing from 11Th grade through 4 years college and a couple more after that. Sold it at 210 ish . Nothing special and a cheap car through being a base model but I never got to know that engine at all. It did need 4 wheel bearings because some cheese head must have run out at the factory and none were there. Even my Honda Civics couldn't pull that one off. It was cheaply made and tinny though but just kept going and I sold it to another guy as a beater.

I forgot to mention the only oil ever used was 15w40 Rotella and a wix filter. It's funny that back then you just used the oil recommended and put a good filter on (never cut one open back then just assumed they worked) and stuck with it. Today with the new car's and trucks and so many oil and filter choices it can be mind numbing. With so many of the older vehicles that you guys had or still have with 300-400,000 miles makes you Wonder about the new vehicles. Yes they get better mileage and cleaner air so I guess we are better off. (but still)

I'm only 23 and haven't had any single car for a major amount of miles yet, but I bought my Camry at 196k and it has 227k miles now. It's been extremely reliable, has been sitting for 11 months because I bought a newer car and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country and back.

I'll keep my Jeep forever, it's needed quite a bit of work but I'll always keep it.

I had a 1990 Ford Ranger with the 2.9L 5 speed. I bought it for $5100 and 50,000 miles. The only work I had to do was a clutch job and brakes. Sold it years later with over 300,000 miles for $4,000. I think I got my monies worth out of that one.

Originally Posted By: Driz
Against ALL. Odds. And would you believe , My daughters 2003 Cavalier . Bought it at 105 k miles cheap and she drove that thing from 11Th grade through 4 years college and a couple more after that. Sold it at 210 ish . Nothing special and a cheap car through being a base model but I never got to know that engine at all. It did need 4 wheel bearings because some cheese head must have run out at the factory and none were there. Even my Honda Civics couldn't pull that one off. It was cheaply made and tinny though but just kept going and I sold it to another guy as a beater.

Now that is amazing Driz. I use to repair them along with Pinto's/Chevrolet Vega/Dodge colts and other Marvel's that came out of Detroit.

Out of 87 cars and trucks in the last 50 years, the clear winner was my 2001 Ram 2500 4X4. Had it for 14 years before I traded it on my 2014 Ram. At the time I bought it, CR said it was the worst truck you could possibly buy for reliability. Gave me flawless service from day 1. Wish I had it back.

My second favorite is my current 2016 Charger Scat Pack. Too soon to tell about the long term reliability but I absolutely love the car. IMO, it is the best combination of price, performance, practicality, and comfort in a 4 door performance sedan available today. The sound of the factory exhaust is music to my ears. I love it so much, I never turn on the radio. I do not want to contaminate that beautiful sound with the absolute garbage on the air these day. Oh and CR rates it as the least reliable large sedan you can buy. I think I am on a roll.

Last edited:
My top five:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
1995 318ti Club Sport
1988 M6
1987 535is
1975 2002

Honorable Mention:
1999 Wrangler Sahara

My best car was my first '88 528e bought in '96 with 149.5 K miles Put an additional 200K on it. Just routine consumables for 12 yrs. In that time, the Borman6 was able to always get home under its own power. Its reliability, and ease of maintenance has soured me on most other cars. If the Camrys do half as well, I'll be happy. The Camrys are nice, but the 528e is very tossable and waaay more fun to drive.

Last edited:
A late 1960s, 6 Volt, Citroen 2 CV. It even had a hand crank.
grin.gif

Seriously now, my 2002 Lexus GS430. Love it!!

1995 saturn SW1. Bought for $800 in 2003. Sold for $500 in 2014 with 99k more miles on it, a total of 243k. Saw it on the road 15 months later, in a walmart parking lot of all places.

I never needed a tow. One time a brake pad delaminated but I had my wife bring me a spare set that I had sitting on a shelf and I changed them out in a parking lot.

It wasn't "the best" at anything, but it was cheap to run and loyal.
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back