Weatherby moving

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/01...-moves-wyoming/

Weatherby is moving to Wyoming. As noted in the comments on TTAG, California is proposing a law that would take back half of the Federal corporate tax cut from businesses making over $1 million a year. I am sure Weatherby set this move up a while ago, but that is probably making their decision much easier. Wyoming will be a good place for them.

Mr. RedOakRanch,
You could be right behind them!
smile.gif

I pray California companies moving to other states don't drag their politics with them.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I pray California companies moving to other states don't drag their politics with them.
79% ofthemdo. theyruineveryplace they move to . Look at Oregon and Washington State.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Mr. RedOakRanch,
You could be right behind them!
smile.gif

I might someday, I have a lot invested in CA that can't be replicated elsewhere. Love the weather and land just not the rest!

I’m surprised they didn’t move sooner. Just a couple of years ago the owner was bragging about how great Paso Robles is (still is but California has issues). Rigby is gone, now Weatherby, I wonder how much longer Hogue will stay.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
79% of them do. They ruin every place they move to . Look at Oregon and Washington State.

We are talking about gun companies here. They are leaving because of taxes, and more importantly, oppressive firearms laws. California used to be the place to be. Now it is the place to be FROM. It won't be long before that state destroys what little business climate they have left. After that it becomes an unrecoverable downward spiral. Usually ending like Detroit or Gary, Indiana.

Another problem is Weatherby is entering into the third generation of ownership. That's when most family run corporate dynasties fail. The grandfather starts it, (Roy Weatherby). The son builds it into a multi million dollar empire, (Ed Weatherby). And the grandson train wrecks it, (Adam Weatherby). Let's hope that isn't the case here. Only time will tell.

Originally Posted By: billt460

We are talking about gun companies here. They are leaving because of taxes, and more importantly, oppressive firearms laws. California used to be the place to be. Now it is the place to be FROM. It won't be long before that state destroys what little business climate they have left. After that it becomes an unrecoverable downward spiral. Usually ending like Detroit or Gary, Indiana.

^^^ This, 100%

Cali is TOTALLY shooting themselves in the foot!

I don't buy anything from California if I can help it.

I wonder how this tax thing is going to affect larger companies out of Cali? Are they just going to take it?

It’s only a proposal by 2 legislators that seems to have no chance of becoming law. Even California politicians seem to realize this would be self-defeating.

Sheridan, WY is pretty far out in the hinterlands. It does have Interstate access, and that college they refer to in the article, though. I think they made a good choice.

When I lived in SoCal, probably 2011 or so, I bought a bicycle off of Craiglist. I went to the guy's work to pick it up, in the Valley. He was an electrical engineer at an aftermarket automobile ignition company. He was a little late, and seemed, upset when he came out to get me. He said he had just found out the company was moving to Montana, and the only way he was keeping his job was to go with them. He asked me if I had ever been. I said I had driven through there.
smile.gif

A big plus Weatherby has in moving over other firearms companies, is they don't manufacture anything themselves. They just do some assembling at Paso Robles. All their guns are made under contract elsewhere. Their Vanguard line are rebadged Howa's. And their O/U shotgun line is manufactured by Italian gun maker Fausti Stefano. The Mark V has been built under contract by both Saco Defense and Acrometal / ATEK. Before that they were made in both Germany by J.P. Sauer, and by Howa in Japan. It's a lot easier to move shelves and benches, than it is heavy machining centers.

Originally Posted By: billt460
A big plus Weatherby has in moving over other firearms companies, is they don't manufacture anything themselves. They just do some assembling at Paso Robles. All their guns are made under contract elsewhere. Their Vanguard line are rebadged Howa's. And their O/U shotgun line is manufactured by Italian gun maker Fausti Stefano. The Mark V has been built under contract by both Saco Defense and Acrometal / ATEK. Before that they were made in both Germany by J.P. Sauer, and by Howa in Japan. It's a lot easier to move shelves and benches, than it is heavy machining centers.

I kind of knew that about their lines, except for the Accumark. I thought they made that.

I wonder how this tax thing is going to affect larger companies out of Cali? Are they just going to take it?

We all know that big tech (Apple, Google, Uber, etc..) will get exemptions under that proposed law. But the california legislators will gladly punish any company that doesn't toe the progressive/self-loathing line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back