Toilet Paper AIR Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long established as an oil filter medium, but I've never seen it mentioned as an air filter supplement.

Not perhaps the most efficient filter supplement, but easy and cheap. If you have a restriction guage to check it, and stay well within its allowable range, I can't see a problem. Even if it only functions as a "rock catcher" that's a benefit with no obvious downside.

I tried four layers of washroom paper hand towel to get my home-made restriction guage/decoker to work, giving a restriction of about 4.5 inches of water.It didn't seem to affect drivability. Don't know about fuel consumption yet.

I'll try actual toilet paper (which might be more convenient) next time I drive the car. Failing that I'll cut the layers to two.

Admittedly I've only tried it with the "classic" circular filter, and it might be more difficult with the commoner flat-panel design, but not impossibly so, I'd have thought. Individual folded towels might work better there.

There is a sort-of-precedent in the literature, in that the oft quoted paper on the effects of filter restriction used disposable shop towels to simulate filter clogging, and they did get some filter damage, but they were doing WOT tests with a level of clogging of more than 10 inches of water, which would trip a filter minder and indicate replacemnt.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/Air_Filter_Effects_02_26_2009.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Given the low cost of a quality air filter and the cost of a new engine, I will continue with quality air filters and pass on the toilet paper.

Fair enough. I'd be interested in your reasons.

EDIT:possibly you misunderstood, or only read the title. I'm not proposing to replace the air filter, merely to add a layer or two of towel or toilet paper to its dirty side.

I can't see how the quality of the air filter is compromised by that.

Last edited:
How about a toilet paper air bypass filter??? Hyperfilter a tiny portion of your intake air through a roll...couldn't hurt, right?

;^)

There are "per-filters" in the real world. A foam band around an old style circular air filter comes to mind.

Since today's air filters live above a velocity drop I'd consider adding one of those to the snorkel.
Of course some of the later round air filters had no snorkel.

Sticking with PLAN A? Try some of that material commonly seen on the underside of a couch.
Toilet paper bypass oil filters rely on oil creeping through them slowly not flowing through them.

Cheers. How's the weather where you are? Taiwan, right? Do they have good Tai food there?

Toilet paper is made to fall apart with water. I would think it would make a mess after first drive in humid/rainy weather.

Agreed - this whole thing sounds like a terrible idea to me.

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Toilet paper is made to fall apart with water. I would think it would make a mess after first drive in humid/rainy weather.

Agreed - this whole thing sounds like a terrible idea to me.

UD

Yup.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
How about a toilet paper air bypass filter??? Hyperfilter a tiny portion of your intake air through a roll...couldn't hurt, right?

;^)

Now you're just being silly.

Hmm..You might have a point.

However. I think its made to fall apart IN water, and even then it needs agitated to do so. I'm unconvinced that fine mist (and even less so humidity) are going to cause it to break down, but I suppose that, with the airflow, it might get stuck firmly to the filter.

I'm pretty sure the paper towel I used wont though, so it might be a better bet.

Originally Posted By: Kira
There are "per-filters" in the real world. A foam band around an old style circular air filter comes to mind.

Since today's air filters live above a velocity drop I'd consider adding one of those to the snorkel.
Of course some of the later round air filters had no snorkel.

Guess you mean pre-filters.

There are lots of possibilities for pre-filters. Foam, cyclonic, wet filters to name a few, and I may try some of them, but none of them are as trivial to implement as this one is/was. I initially did it for my restriction guage/decoker, but it occured to me it might have wider application. I'll see how it goes.

Not sure what you mean by "live above a velocity drop" I'd guess perhaps you mean the flow on a typical panel filter is upward. I no longer have one so I can't check how easy it would be to attach directly to the filter material, but then I dont need to.

Not sure what you mean by "snorkel", but Id guess you don't mean "snorkel". Seems likely you mean the air intake hose. Mine is broken, but I agree that (or an actual snorkel) would be the obvious place to add pre-filter(s) if one was going to make something more elaborate, though my filter housing has (drain?) slots in the bottom which would need to be blocked off, perhaps with flaps to form one-way valves in case the drainage is actually required.

I should say that, while I drove around for half a day with the paper towel on the air filter I havn't actually opened the filter housing and looked at it yet.

Might be a horrible mess. Worst case would be if the filter has collapsed.

Originally Posted By: csandste
And... used air filters make a good TP substitute. Good for several wipes.

LOL and added dirt catching ability!

Given the low cost of a quality air filter and the cost of a new engine, I will continue with quality air filters and pass on the toilet paper.
Donald, I don't who is funnier. By now, you should be aware of OP's bent. Plus he delights in maintaining an old heap, 'scuse me, vintage sedan on an island where they don't fix cars. He also doesn't speak the lingo. He lives to horrify the OCDs that populate Bitog. I used to do the same stuff on the e 28 forum. Sit back and enjoy the entertainment. Sorta Like Red Green on PBS
35.gif

At idle and low engine speeds, the air flow through the paper element is so SLOW - that it IS essentially, a bypass filter.

Don't ever go "full throttle" and the dirt will never get sucked through
grin.gif

toilet paper air filter.. that is when the guy in the restroom is blowing it up in the next stall and you plug your nose with TP?

Also you would be seriously reducing your surface area on the filter.. (why filter is pleated)
and definite durability concerns esp. with moisture.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: csandste
And... used air filters make a good TP substitute. Good for several wipes.

LOL and added dirt catching ability!

Never use the stuff. Seems such a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back